lew chaterleys lover
January 30, 2024, 10:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

But do we?...playing devils advocate here, ask yourself why do many Grimberians have left the town and area?...
The answer isn't chasing money, its to do with looking for a better lifestyle, to attract players we need something most clubs don't have, so apart from a mucky river,  a fishy stench, and a beach, what else can we do?..
Unless you were born local, have family ties to the town we will struggle, I'm sorry but its no coincidence that since the decline of the nightlife in Cleethorpes and Grimsby that we haven't attracted a better standard of player.

Yes I do think we have lots of potential as do the owners.

Regardless what people might think of the area circa 200k people live in North East Lincolnshire which is more than enough to sustain a club higher in the pyramid than we are currently.

Without wanting to re open the debate about how good or bad the area is there are loads of places where away fans can sing the immortal "s**thole song" with some justification so it is not a beauty contest in that sense.

We have potential in my humble opinion but whether some of us will ever see it realised is another story!
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 70
GibMariner
January 30, 2024, 10:45am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21

We can in monetary terms. We just continue to make the wrong choices somehow,  even if most of us agree with them at the time.

In some ways the owners have tried to do too much too soon, and I still don't think they have fully grasped that football is not like any other business. It is what happens on the field that matters the most, and I think they must accept it will be an expensive business till their longer term plans start to kick in.

I remember being disappointed with the McAtee deal but they wanted to create "good relations " with Luton,  but Luton aren't going to be bothered about a struggling league 2 club are they? It just looks like a bit of naivety on our part.

Can’t imagine either that we or any club would sign a player / Conteh on a three year deal with in effect a buy out.

A payout that could well come back to haunt given our current position.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 70
DB
January 30, 2024, 11:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386

Regardless what people might think of the area circa 200k people live in North East Lincolnshire which is more than enough to sustain a club higher in the pyramid than we are currently.

Without wanting to re open the debate about how good or bad the area is there are loads of places where away fans can sing the immortal "s**thole song" with some justification so it is not a beauty contest in that sense.

We have potential in my humble opinion but whether some of us will ever see it realised is another story!

The population of North East Lincolnshire is quoted as 157K ish, with an elderly population over 64 years of about 25%. This gives about 139K population of which about a further 18% are under 15 years old, taking away the unemployed leaves with a figure of just over 100K population. So what we are really looking at is slightly more than 100k people.

The other factor is the number of exiles, like Herts.GTFC who travels a 300-mile round trip, who also make the journey to watch Town.

Another main factor is that Town must play attractive football to give the fans something to cheer about and remember. So population wise it should just be manageable to sustain the club, with help of the exiles.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 70
Mappers
January 30, 2024, 11:31am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,325
Gold Stars: 118

I tend to agree .

It was a 'golden period' to unlock any potential through the 2000's -2010 ish ,imo a new stadium was key .

I think it's still possible but it will be way harder - there is just no 'free' money now is there , so it's going to be dependant on fixing in the model of player sales , somebody with a huge amount of capital to make us 'take off' (which mentioning Carlisle they have just achieved after promotion and are starting to throw money all over the place ) a combination of both or some other way and success on the field (getting upwardly out of league 2 would be a big help).

The catchment area is there I'm sure of that ,we just need  to gain forward momentum but for a longer period of time , like most clubs seem to do tbh, that seems to be our most basic fundamental flaw as a club if you strip it back it's always one step forward and 2 back which is highly frustrating really and seems on a loop .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 70
lew chaterleys lover
January 30, 2024, 12:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from DB

The population of North East Lincolnshire is quoted as 157K ish, with an elderly population over 64 years of about 25%. This gives about 139K population of which about a further 18% are under 15 years old, taking away the unemployed leaves with a figure of just over 100K population. So what we are really looking at is slightly more than 100k people.

The other factor is the number of exiles, like Herts.GTFC who travels a 300-mile round trip, who also make the journey to watch Town.

Another main factor is that Town must play attractive football to give the fans something to cheer about and remember. So population wise it should just be manageable to sustain the club, with help of the exiles.

I live on the border of North East Lincolnshire and North Lincolnshire and there are thousands of extra possible fans  just outside the actual make up of the authority Grimsby and Cleethorpes sit in so 200k is about right. Then there is Louth and surrounding areas. I perhaps should have used catchment area rather than just NE Lincs. This is the advantage of being isolated if we can get it right on the field.

Regarding your other points there are plenty of other areas who have demographic problems of one sort or another.

The only thing missing is success on the field...and the momentum that would bring.
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 70
DB
January 30, 2024, 2:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I live on the border of North East Lincolnshire and North Lincolnshire and there are thousands of extra possible fans  just outside the actual make up of the authority Grimsby and Cleethorpes sit in so 200k is about right. Then there is Louth and surrounding areas. I perhaps should have used catchment area rather than just NE Lincs. This is the advantage of being isolated if we can get it right on the field.

Regarding your other points there are plenty of other areas who have demographic problems of one sort or another.

The only thing missing is success on the field...and the momentum that would bring.

I agree with this, having travelled 30 miles each way to watch Town in the 1950's. There is huge potential that the club could tap into to bring in around 2,000 people. That number comes from what was the buses filling the now Findus stand car park to bring supporters in from the many surrounding villages. Of course nowadays people prefer to use their car but nevertheless, there is this potential for supporters. The only reason I referred to North East Lincs was that the post I answered did the same.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 70
Norseman
January 30, 2024, 11:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from DB

So are people over 64 ,under 15 and unemployed not supporters and shouldn't count
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 70
DB
January 31, 2024, 5:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Norseman

So are people over 64 ,under 15 and unemployed not supporters and shouldn't count

Of course, they count, but attracting new supporters in these age groups I think would be hard. Pocket money and a state pension of £203.85 per week do not help free up cash for them in that group.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 70
TuckerJenkins
January 31, 2024, 5:22am

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +67
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from DB

Of course, they count, but attracting new supporters in these age groups I think would be hard. Pocket money and a state pension of £203.85 per week do not help free up cash for them in that group.

You ask most supporters and the started as kids. Dad pays usually, or maybe mum or grandad.

Flippin' 'eck Tucker!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 70
DB
January 31, 2024, 6:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TuckerJenkins

You ask most supporters and the started as kids. Dad pays usually, or maybe mum or grandad.

You also forgot to mention that young children were lifted over the turnstile as being too young to be made to pay. This happened to me many times over 60 years ago and now all pay, also the cost today is getting on for about £50 ish. Ticket, 2 pints, a pie, program and transport; more if you are an exile going to every home. Supporting football was very cheap years ago compared to today

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › This season

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.