mariner tommy
January 18, 2024, 9:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,871
Gold Stars: 13
After only six games in charge at FGR.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
January 18, 2024, 9:32pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +846
Gold Stars: 117
Now why doesnt that surprise me in the slightest?

I wonder where that sits in the shortest tenures in football Management?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 48
Poojah
January 18, 2024, 9:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,568
Gold Stars: 1,500
Now why doesnt that surprise me in the slightest?

I wonder where that sits in the shortest tenures in football Management?

Leroy Rosenior’s 10 minutes at Torquay will always take some beating.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 48
Running like emson
January 18, 2024, 9:41pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +285
Gold Stars: 8
The Liz Truss of football management
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 48
denni266
January 18, 2024, 9:44pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Thats nice lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 48
Poojah
January 18, 2024, 9:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Tweet 1748097607056949534 will appear here...

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 48
Marinerdan
January 18, 2024, 10:00pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 17
Forest Green have got some decent players, I’m surprised they are doing as badly as they are.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 48
moosey_club
January 18, 2024, 10:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,264
Gold Stars: 226
Shocker ! 😄

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 48
GrimRob
January 18, 2024, 10:28pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,409
Gold Stars: 113
He did say he would rather watch Antiques Roadshow. He can catch up on missed episodes now.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 48
crusty ole pie
January 18, 2024, 10:43pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,348
Gold Stars: 66
Is Paul hurst a vegetarian?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 48
RonMariner
January 18, 2024, 11:12pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,717
That’s spectacular.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 48
Norseman
January 18, 2024, 11:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
🤣🤣🤣
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 48
Bawmariner
January 19, 2024, 1:04am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +331
Gold Stars: 1
Forest Green look a right mess at the moment. They've already signed 5 players thus transfer window including paying a fee for Emmanuel Osadebe from Bradford a few hours before Deeney's sacking. Osadebe said 'It's all about implementing what the gaffer wants'. I don't think he has to worry about that now.

Dale Vince better hope that some of the money sticks. We know all too well that signing dozens of players over a season doesn't usually end well.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 48
AdamHaddock
January 19, 2024, 7:32am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
Are they the new Watford?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 48
blundellpork
January 19, 2024, 7:37am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
Their turnover of management in the last 18 months is shocking. Duncan Ferguson, the lady manager, the next bloke, then Deeney. All have seemed strange appointments, and all have gone wrong.

They look a right mess.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 48
Poojah
January 19, 2024, 8:56am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Is Paul hurst a vegetarian?

One to file under “stranger things have happened”. Forest Green now find themselves in a position where they look overwhelmingly more likely to go down than to stay up, and are looking for their 6th permanent manager in a little over 18 months. That almost certainly limits them to out of work managers.

Vince has crossed paths with Hurst a lot over the years, with Hurst more often than not coming out on top, most significantly the 2016 play-off final. From a quick check, Hurst has won 8 of the 11 games he’s managed against Vince’s FGR.

On the flip side, Hurst made a right hash of trying to keep us up from a more favourable position in 20/21 (unlike his excellent work at Shrewsbury a few years earlier), not to mention his recent demise at Town this season. Arguably though, that probably leaves both parties without many better options in the present moment, so Hurst to Nailsworth until the end of the season genuinely wouldn’t surprise me if it happened.

One to watch.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 48
diehardmariner
January 19, 2024, 9:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 539
I think Hurst going to FGR would be a case of need vs want.  

When he came back here he probably needed to rebuild his reputation a little.  Football has a relatively short memory so his first spell success here and then a quite remarkable job at Shrewsbury was probably forgotten about in favour of, what looked at face value, failures at Ipswich and Scunthorpe (hindsight tells us differently, of course).

I can't imagine he was batting away the offers and after almost a year out of work, I would have been shocked if he was on the radar without his previous connection to the club.  We were desperate and so was he.  He was two-and-half years removed from the end of his successful spell at Shrews, definitely when his stock was highest.

3 and a bit years later I'm not sure he's as desperate.  Yeah our form was a bit excrement towards the end of his spell but looking from the outside in he oversaw an incredible play-off campaign that included overseeing the almighty, all conquering, darlings of the media Wrexham and then an arguably even more astonishing FA campaign, certainly more high profile, last year.  We're only 10 months removed from doing over Southampton away and reaching the Quarter Finals.

The longer he's out the game, the more he's forgotten.  But I don't think he will need to take the FGR job.  If he wants it though, well that's a different matter altogether.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 48
HertsGTFC
January 19, 2024, 9:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,948
Gold Stars: 228
I once listened to a Talk Sport interview where Troy said he loved a KFC, well that's back on now for sure.

Actually lets just hope they appoint another donkey and not someone who's any good.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 48
GrimPol
January 19, 2024, 9:46am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -673
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from blundellpork
Their turnover of management in the last 18 months is shocking. Duncan Ferguson, the lady manager, the next bloke, then Deeney. All have seemed strange appointments, and all have gone wrong.

They look a right mess.

In 2023 alone they have had   Ian Burchnall, Duncan Ferguson, Hannah Dingley, David Horseman, Troy Deeney.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 48
Poojah
January 19, 2024, 9:54am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
I think Hurst going to FGR would be a case of need vs want.  

When he came back here he probably needed to rebuild his reputation a little.  Football has a relatively short memory so his first spell success here and then a quite remarkable job at Shrewsbury was probably forgotten about in favour of, what looked at face value, failures at Ipswich and Scunthorpe (hindsight tells us differently, of course).

I can't imagine he was batting away the offers and after almost a year out of work, I would have been shocked if he was on the radar without his previous connection to the club.  We were desperate and so was he.  He was two-and-half years removed from the end of his successful spell at Shrews, definitely when his stock was highest.

3 and a bit years later I'm not sure he's as desperate.  Yeah our form was a bit excrement towards the end of his spell but looking from the outside in he oversaw an incredible play-off campaign that included overseeing the almighty, all conquering, darlings of the media Wrexham and then an arguably even more astonishing FA campaign, certainly more high profile, last year.  We're only 10 months removed from doing over Southampton away and reaching the Quarter Finals.

The longer he's out the game, the more he's forgotten.  But I don't think he will need to take the FGR job.  If he wants it though, well that's a different matter altogether.

Veggie fans seem to be keen on Michael Flynn, available and based in the general area. I’m not sure he’d particularly need that on his CV right now either, so I think they might well have a tough time finding someone credible.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 48
Phil the cod
January 19, 2024, 12:57pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
I wonder what the scotch eggs are like .
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 48
Poojah
January 19, 2024, 1:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Dale Vince on Talksport just now, talking about Deeney. Transpires that he signed in the summer as player coach with the agreement that he would be the next manager at the club. Vince had assumed this would be “2 or 3 years down the line”.

Stupendously moronic and naive on his part. He inferred he was left with no choice to part company after a combination of his public slagging off of his players and his 4 match ban for abusing the officials in their recent game against Swindon, but anyone with any knowledge of Deeney would have been able to see that coming.

They deserve to go down with that kind of thinking running the club.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 48
RonMariner
January 19, 2024, 1:27pm

Special Brew Drinker
The problem is that Vince is perfectly capable of splashing the cash to keep them up. It is after all a one man vanity project which must have cost him millions over recent years so why wouldn't he spend big to avoid the drop into the NL. I don't think we can rely on them staying in the bottom two. Salford and Colchester could well ensure survival too.

If we are to survive we need to sort out our back 4 and start winning games to reach the safety of mid table.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 48
jamesgtfc
January 19, 2024, 1:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,964
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah
Dale Vince on Talksport just now, talking about Deeney. Transpires that he signed in the summer as player coach with the agreement that he would be the next manager at the club. Vince had assumed this would be “2 or 3 years down the line”.

Stupendously moronic and naive on his part. He inferred he was left with no choice to part company after a combination of his public slagging off of his players and his 4 match ban for abusing the officials in their recent game against Swindon, but anyone with any knowledge of Deeney would have been able to see that coming.

Imagine being the manager and trying to motivate the team, whilst one of your players has it stipulated in his contract that he is guaranteed to replace you as manager.

I suspect that Dale Vince made this decision to insert the clause on his own, because multiple people can't make a decision that incompetent surely?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 48
RonMariner
January 19, 2024, 1:40pm

Special Brew Drinker
How far is FGR from Bristol? There is a well known unemployed ex manager living there I believe....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 48
diehardmariner
January 19, 2024, 1:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner
The problem is that Vince is perfectly capable of splashing the cash to keep them up. It is after all a one man vanity project which must have cost him millions over recent years so why wouldn't he spend big to avoid the drop into the NL. I don't think we can rely on them staying in the bottom two. Salford and Colchester could well ensure survival too.

If we are to survive we need to sort out our back 4 and start winning games to reach the safety of mid table.

I don't think there's any guarantee's as to who will stay in the bottom two or get dragged into it.  But I'm pretty sure we don't need to worry about us getting caught.

I can only ask again, what have you seen in the last two months that makes you think we're in danger?
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 48
diehardmariner
January 19, 2024, 2:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

You know, I quite like Vince and I think he talks a lot of sense.  I've never quite got the ill-feeling towards him but there you go.  But that's one of the stupidest things I've heard in a long time.

Since taking over at FGR in 2010 and up to the point of Deeney signing he had seen 8 managers leave the club, not even counting Hannah Dingley's interim role for a matter of days.   That's a rough turnover of a new manager ever year and a half.  Since Mark Cooper left in April '21 he went through an additional four managers, just over half a year each.  Fair enough Rob Edwards and Ian Burchnall were both poached after a year, but that's another indication that managers don't last.  If they're not successful they get sacked, if they are successful they get poached.

David Horseman was appointed last summer with no managerial experience other than Southampton's B Team, did he really think he would last 2 years?

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 48
diehardmariner
January 19, 2024, 2:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Veggie fans seem to be keen on Michael Flynn, available and based in the general area. I’m not sure he’d particularly need that on his CV right now either, so I think they might well have a tough time finding someone credible.

Flynn's an interesting shout, especially in this situation.  He's a bit Lee Johnson like for me, streaky.  Equally as capable of going on good runs as he is of bad runs.  Sorta like Michael Jolley with his 10 points from 12/3 points from 27 runs, just on a larger scale.  If you get the right rub of the run with him, FGR are laughing towards safety.

Swindon is a bit of a basketcase but with some of the players at his disposal you could argue he should have done better.  Didn't do great at Walsall and his run at the end was abysmal.  Walked away at Newport, failed at Walsall and Swindon.  Probably in last chance saloon at this level, might not need it on his CV but can't see many others kicking the door down.  
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 48
GrimPol
January 19, 2024, 2:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Phil the cod
I wonder what the scotch eggs are like .

Yumbles  Sell a Yummy  Corra Vegan Scotch Egg      A fresh crunchy recipe featuring Peanuts, Apples, Carrots & Mushrooms with zingy MARMITE, wrapping our uniquely crafted trademark vegan mozzarella style cheese ‘Megg,

Yummy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 48
Hagrid
January 19, 2024, 2:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,422
Gold Stars: 534

You know, I quite like Vince and I think he talks a lot of sense.  I've never quite got the ill-feeling towards him but there you go.  But that's one of the stupidest things I've heard in a long time.

Since taking over at FGR in 2010 and up to the point of Deeney signing he had seen 8 managers leave the club, not even counting Hannah Dingley's interim role for a matter of days.   That's a rough turnover of a new manager ever year and a half.  Since Mark Cooper left in April '21 he went through an additional four managers, just over half a year each.  Fair enough Rob Edwards and Ian Burchnall were both poached after a year, but that's another indication that managers don't last.  If they're not successful they get sacked, if they are successful they get poached.

David Horseman was appointed last summer with no managerial experience other than Southampton's B Team, did he really think he would last 2 years?

they were both sacked?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 48
diehardmariner
January 19, 2024, 2:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Sorry, Burchnall was yes.  

Edwards was poached though - https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/fgr-confirms-the-departure-of-head-coach-rob-edwards
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 48
Poojah
January 19, 2024, 2:32pm
Vodka Drinker

I can just about tolerate Vince. Personally, I don't like the conflation of corporate agendas into the fabric of football clubs, see also RB Leipzig et al, though I can just about make the exception in Vince's case in that his commercial causes are for the greater societal good. He's given the club an identity it didn't have before, and I'd assume even most armchair fans would know of Forest Green for what they stand for today. If their fanbase is universally happy with that, and the cause is a good one, I suppose no harm done.

And I'd agree that his general running of the club has been sound for the most part. In particular, the unearthing of Rob Edwards, who's only managerial to date had been at Telford and the England U-16s, looks particularly shrewd with what he's gone onto achieve at Luton. It's just everything since has been questionable to say the least.

Burchnall was sacked rather than poached, with FGR firmly at the bottom of League One at the time. To then get through the likes of Ferguson, Dingley, Horseman and now Deeney in the space of less than 12 months suggests he's lost the plot somewhat. I do wonder, with League One having proven a much tougher nut to crack than anticipated, and now the club rapidly Benjamin Button-ing, whether a bit of fatigue has begun to creep in, a la Swann at Scunny.

You really do wonder what the exit / succession plan is for Vince. Like him or not, he's made the club in his image; what happens to them in the post-Vince world?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 48
Hagrid
January 19, 2024, 2:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,422
Gold Stars: 534
Sorry, Burchnall was yes.  

Edwards was poached though - https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/fgr-confirms-the-departure-of-head-coach-rob-edwards

Ah i see! Apologies!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 48
GrimPol
January 19, 2024, 2:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker

I don't think there's any guarantee's as to who will stay in the bottom two or get dragged into it.  But I'm pretty sure we don't need to worry about us getting caught.

I can only ask again, what have you seen in the last two months that makes you think we're in danger?

RonMariner has a point.  In the last few games Town have shown they can score, and play well going forward. But since day one the backs have been leaky. We have changed the goalie but that isn't the main issue as he is the last resort, while others half-heartedly track the opposition, others just watch.
We have been fortunate that the other 5 teams in this bottom grouping are having similar problems, whilst teams above us are starting to pull away.  No I do not believe we will go down, but my nerves are starting to fray.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 48
LocalLadGTFC
January 19, 2024, 3:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,219
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from GrimPol

RonMariner has a point.  In the last few games Town have shown they can score, and play well going forward. But since day one the backs have been leaky. We have changed the goalie but that isn't the main issue as he is the last resort, while others half-heartedly track the opposition, others just watch.
We have been fortunate that the other 5 teams in this bottom grouping are having similar problems, whilst teams above us are starting to pull away.  No I do not believe we will go down, but my nerves are starting to fray.

Teams above us are starting to pull away? We win our game in hand then we are 2 points behind Tranmere and 3 points behind Swindon. Teams above us are in much worse states than us, Swindon and Morecambe are in a mess off the field and we have to play a lot of the teams around us still. The difference in quality between us and Salford was like part time vs full time, we actually look like a good outfit going forward. Artell gave an insight in his pre match interview that they'd worked a lot more on attacking patterns of play than defensive phases of play, he also said that this week we'd worked on the defensive side of things a bit more. The Walsall performance was a red flag in terms of work rate and charachter of the players when they went 2-1 down, they put that to bed with the performance against County. We won't play teams that have players with the ability of Jodi Jones and David Mcgoldrick every week. Players that probably should be playing in the championship based on ability..
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 48
DB
January 19, 2024, 3:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Teams above us are starting to pull away? We win our game in hand then we are 2 points behind Tranmere and 3 points behind Swindon. Teams above us are in much worse states than us, Swindon and Morecambe are in a mess off the field and we have to play a lot of the teams around us still. The difference in quality between us and Salford was like part time vs full time, we actually look like a good outfit going forward. Artell gave an insight in his pre match interview that they'd worked a lot more on attacking patterns of play than defensive phases of play, he also said that this week we'd worked on the defensive side of things a bit more. The Walsall performance was a red flag in terms of work rate and charachter of the players when they went 2-1 down, they put that to bed with the performance against County. We won't play teams that have players with the ability of Jodi Jones and David Mcgoldrick every week. Players that probably should be playing in the championship based on ability..

As you point out a win tomorrow will add to our points tally. I think confidence must be high in the camp after scoring 5 goals, let's face it the game before we let in 6 which must have had its toll on morale in the team. Regardless of the 5 we let in we will not see the quality of the Notts Players again, but we still need to improve down the right side.

A win tomorrow of course.

UTM

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 48
diehardmariner
January 19, 2024, 4:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Absolutely.

All for opinions and differing views but I struggle to see us anything at the minute than meh purely when it comes to picking points up.  Not great but not horrific either.   Just focusing on the simple output aspect of games, we're picking up less than we would all like but consistently we're picking up more than enough to be safe.  Our performances are largely mirroring that too.  Good one week, excrement the next.  Repeat until Artell gets enough of his players in I guess/hope.

Even a tail off on that front requires a big effort from more than one club below us.  

Just can't see it.  
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 48
Captain Sensible
January 19, 2024, 6:09pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
Not only are Forest Green seven points adrift, albeit with games in hand, they also have the toughest run-in of any team in the division.

It will be an uphill struggle for whoever takes over, but if Vince throws enough money at it, who knows what might happen?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 48
horsforthmariner
January 19, 2024, 10:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,631
Gold Stars: 9
Undoubtedly Deeney had to go - not quite sure why they left him in post for a week. Hurst isn’t a bad shout but would he move his family half the way across the country for it.

I can’t see us going down. The reality is in our relegation seasons we rubbish at the back and up front. Teams who can score goals don’t get relegated as a rule. Defensively we are probably the worst in the division but going forward we’re at least mid table.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 48
Mayaman
January 20, 2024, 12:49am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I once listened to a Talk Sport interview where Troy said he loved a KFC, well that's back on now for sure.

Actually lets just hope they appoint another donkey and not someone who's any good.

What division do they play in?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 48
Davec
January 20, 2024, 6:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 42
I bumped into Dale Vince not too long ago, and got talking to him for about 15 mins, he seemed to be a decent chap to me, you can tell he has a lot of ideas and I think he genuinely means well with all his green stuff and he does genuinely care about the earth, but also I got the impression he has a massive ego and he rather thinks of himself very highly, he does genuinely care about FGR (Probably to drive his own wgo) but its all going wrong currently
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 48
RonMariner
January 20, 2024, 1:48pm

Special Brew Drinker

I don't think there's any guarantee's as to who will stay in the bottom two or get dragged into it.  But I'm pretty sure we don't need to worry about us getting caught

Our defensive frailties coupled with the spending power of clubs below us. Also, I am a terrible pessimist sometimes, must be all the drugs I am on.

A couple of wins will no doubt have me moving away from the darkside.😎
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 48
diehardmariner
January 22, 2024, 12:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Fair enough Ron, I think supporting Town is a natural deflater and definitely brings an err to the side of caution.

But we're just as likely to improve as those below us.  Personally I don't think it's as much about improving quality for us as it is producing consistency.    Sutton, FGR, Salford...they all to improve their quality and introduce consistency too.  Then hope they can catch sides up.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 48
RonMariner
January 22, 2024, 1:05pm

Special Brew Drinker
Fair enough Ron, I think supporting Town is a natural deflater and definitely brings an err to the side of caution.

But we're just as likely to improve as those below us.  Personally I don't think it's as much about improving quality for us as it is producing consistency.    Sutton, FGR, Salford...they all to improve their quality and introduce consistency too.  Then hope they can catch sides up.

True. I think Saturday's game is huge. A win and we are moving closer to the mid table pack and most likely extending our cushion over the bottom two. A defeat could mean we are at least six and possibly as many as eight points away from 18th place. That is quite a gap and places us firmly in the bottom six, two of who will go down.  

I do think we need new faces in the back four. We have one already, a couple more would be very welcome.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 48
RonMariner
January 22, 2024, 3:57pm

Special Brew Drinker
as for FGR, I wouldn't be surprised if Ted Lasso was on the shortlist.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 48
Poojah
January 25, 2024, 10:07am
Vodka Drinker
Steve Cotterill appointed new FGR boss. That’s a pretty good appointment for them, and a vast improvement on Deeney, although I don’t think he pulled up many trees at Shewsbury and Birmingham.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 48
HerveJosse
January 25, 2024, 10:37am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Poojah
Steve Cotterill appointed new FGR boss. That’s a pretty good appointment for them, and a vast improvement on Deeney, although I don’t think he pulled up many trees at Shewsbury and Birmingham.

Plenty of trees to tear up on Forrest Green
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 48
LocalLadGTFC
January 25, 2024, 11:50am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,219
Gold Stars: 137
Not a bad appointment on the face of it, could be too little too late and I imagine things could get sour given his Cheltenham links.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 47 - 48
diehardmariner
January 25, 2024, 11:52am
Vodka Drinker
Did a really good job at Shrews, just soured a bit towards the end of last season with a excrement run but still finished 12th.  I bet they would take that now.

From a FGR perspective I can't think of many better appointments, certainly someone capable of coming in and getting a bounce.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 48
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Troy Deeney sacked

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.