diehardmariner
January 19, 2024, 2:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Sorry, Burchnall was yes.  

Edwards was poached though - https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/fgr-confirms-the-departure-of-head-coach-rob-edwards
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 48
Poojah
January 19, 2024, 2:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,539
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from diehardmariner

You know, I quite like Vince and I think he talks a lot of sense.  I've never quite got the ill-feeling towards him but there you go.  But that's one of the stupidest things I've heard in a long time.

Since taking over at FGR in 2010 and up to the point of Deeney signing he had seen 8 managers leave the club, not even counting Hannah Dingley's interim role for a matter of days.   That's a rough turnover of a new manager ever year and a half.  Since Mark Cooper left in April '21 he went through an additional four managers, just over half a year each.  Fair enough Rob Edwards and Ian Burchnall were both poached after a year, but that's another indication that managers don't last.  If they're not successful they get sacked, if they are successful they get poached.

David Horseman was appointed last summer with no managerial experience other than Southampton's B Team, did he really think he would last 2 years?

I can just about tolerate Vince. Personally, I don't like the conflation of corporate agendas into the fabric of football clubs, see also RB Leipzig et al, though I can just about make the exception in Vince's case in that his commercial causes are for the greater societal good. He's given the club an identity it didn't have before, and I'd assume even most armchair fans would know of Forest Green for what they stand for today. If their fanbase is universally happy with that, and the cause is a good one, I suppose no harm done.

And I'd agree that his general running of the club has been sound for the most part. In particular, the unearthing of Rob Edwards, who's only managerial to date had been at Telford and the England U-16s, looks particularly shrewd with what he's gone onto achieve at Luton. It's just everything since has been questionable to say the least.

Burchnall was sacked rather than poached, with FGR firmly at the bottom of League One at the time. To then get through the likes of Ferguson, Dingley, Horseman and now Deeney in the space of less than 12 months suggests he's lost the plot somewhat. I do wonder, with League One having proven a much tougher nut to crack than anticipated, and now the club rapidly Benjamin Button-ing, whether a bit of fatigue has begun to creep in, a la Swann at Scunny.

You really do wonder what the exit / succession plan is for Vince. Like him or not, he's made the club in his image; what happens to them in the post-Vince world?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 48
Hagrid
January 19, 2024, 2:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,404
Gold Stars: 534
Sorry, Burchnall was yes.  

Edwards was poached though - https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/fgr-confirms-the-departure-of-head-coach-rob-edwards

Ah i see! Apologies!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 48
GrimPol
January 19, 2024, 2:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -669
Gold Stars: 69

I don't think there's any guarantee's as to who will stay in the bottom two or get dragged into it.  But I'm pretty sure we don't need to worry about us getting caught.

I can only ask again, what have you seen in the last two months that makes you think we're in danger?

RonMariner has a point.  In the last few games Town have shown they can score, and play well going forward. But since day one the backs have been leaky. We have changed the goalie but that isn't the main issue as he is the last resort, while others half-heartedly track the opposition, others just watch.
We have been fortunate that the other 5 teams in this bottom grouping are having similar problems, whilst teams above us are starting to pull away.  No I do not believe we will go down, but my nerves are starting to fray.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 48
LocalLadGTFC
January 19, 2024, 3:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,212
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from GrimPol

RonMariner has a point.  In the last few games Town have shown they can score, and play well going forward. But since day one the backs have been leaky. We have changed the goalie but that isn't the main issue as he is the last resort, while others half-heartedly track the opposition, others just watch.
We have been fortunate that the other 5 teams in this bottom grouping are having similar problems, whilst teams above us are starting to pull away.  No I do not believe we will go down, but my nerves are starting to fray.

Teams above us are starting to pull away? We win our game in hand then we are 2 points behind Tranmere and 3 points behind Swindon. Teams above us are in much worse states than us, Swindon and Morecambe are in a mess off the field and we have to play a lot of the teams around us still. The difference in quality between us and Salford was like part time vs full time, we actually look like a good outfit going forward. Artell gave an insight in his pre match interview that they'd worked a lot more on attacking patterns of play than defensive phases of play, he also said that this week we'd worked on the defensive side of things a bit more. The Walsall performance was a red flag in terms of work rate and charachter of the players when they went 2-1 down, they put that to bed with the performance against County. We won't play teams that have players with the ability of Jodi Jones and David Mcgoldrick every week. Players that probably should be playing in the championship based on ability..
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 48
DB
January 19, 2024, 3:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,004
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Teams above us are starting to pull away? We win our game in hand then we are 2 points behind Tranmere and 3 points behind Swindon. Teams above us are in much worse states than us, Swindon and Morecambe are in a mess off the field and we have to play a lot of the teams around us still. The difference in quality between us and Salford was like part time vs full time, we actually look like a good outfit going forward. Artell gave an insight in his pre match interview that they'd worked a lot more on attacking patterns of play than defensive phases of play, he also said that this week we'd worked on the defensive side of things a bit more. The Walsall performance was a red flag in terms of work rate and charachter of the players when they went 2-1 down, they put that to bed with the performance against County. We won't play teams that have players with the ability of Jodi Jones and David Mcgoldrick every week. Players that probably should be playing in the championship based on ability..

As you point out a win tomorrow will add to our points tally. I think confidence must be high in the camp after scoring 5 goals, let's face it the game before we let in 6 which must have had its toll on morale in the team. Regardless of the 5 we let in we will not see the quality of the Notts Players again, but we still need to improve down the right side.

A win tomorrow of course.

UTM

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 48
diehardmariner
January 19, 2024, 4:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Absolutely.

All for opinions and differing views but I struggle to see us anything at the minute than meh purely when it comes to picking points up.  Not great but not horrific either.   Just focusing on the simple output aspect of games, we're picking up less than we would all like but consistently we're picking up more than enough to be safe.  Our performances are largely mirroring that too.  Good one week, excrement the next.  Repeat until Artell gets enough of his players in I guess/hope.

Even a tail off on that front requires a big effort from more than one club below us.  

Just can't see it.  
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 48
Captain Sensible
January 19, 2024, 6:09pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
Not only are Forest Green seven points adrift, albeit with games in hand, they also have the toughest run-in of any team in the division.

It will be an uphill struggle for whoever takes over, but if Vince throws enough money at it, who knows what might happen?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 48
horsforthmariner
January 19, 2024, 10:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,626
Gold Stars: 9
Undoubtedly Deeney had to go - not quite sure why they left him in post for a week. Hurst isn’t a bad shout but would he move his family half the way across the country for it.

I can’t see us going down. The reality is in our relegation seasons we rubbish at the back and up front. Teams who can score goals don’t get relegated as a rule. Defensively we are probably the worst in the division but going forward we’re at least mid table.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 48
Mayaman
January 20, 2024, 12:49am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,403
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I once listened to a Talk Sport interview where Troy said he loved a KFC, well that's back on now for sure.

Actually lets just hope they appoint another donkey and not someone who's any good.

What division do they play in?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Troy Deeney sacked

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.