5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Phil the cod
January 19, 2024, 12:57pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -332
Gold Stars: 61
I wonder what the scotch eggs are like .
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 48
Poojah
January 19, 2024, 1:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,586
Gold Stars: 1,503
Dale Vince on Talksport just now, talking about Deeney. Transpires that he signed in the summer as player coach with the agreement that he would be the next manager at the club. Vince had assumed this would be “2 or 3 years down the line”.

Stupendously moronic and naive on his part. He inferred he was left with no choice to part company after a combination of his public slagging off of his players and his 4 match ban for abusing the officials in their recent game against Swindon, but anyone with any knowledge of Deeney would have been able to see that coming.

They deserve to go down with that kind of thinking running the club.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 48
RonMariner
January 19, 2024, 1:27pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,721
Gold Stars: 226
The problem is that Vince is perfectly capable of splashing the cash to keep them up. It is after all a one man vanity project which must have cost him millions over recent years so why wouldn't he spend big to avoid the drop into the NL. I don't think we can rely on them staying in the bottom two. Salford and Colchester could well ensure survival too.

If we are to survive we need to sort out our back 4 and start winning games to reach the safety of mid table.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 48
jamesgtfc
January 19, 2024, 1:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,968
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah
Dale Vince on Talksport just now, talking about Deeney. Transpires that he signed in the summer as player coach with the agreement that he would be the next manager at the club. Vince had assumed this would be “2 or 3 years down the line”.

Stupendously moronic and naive on his part. He inferred he was left with no choice to part company after a combination of his public slagging off of his players and his 4 match ban for abusing the officials in their recent game against Swindon, but anyone with any knowledge of Deeney would have been able to see that coming.

Imagine being the manager and trying to motivate the team, whilst one of your players has it stipulated in his contract that he is guaranteed to replace you as manager.

I suspect that Dale Vince made this decision to insert the clause on his own, because multiple people can't make a decision that incompetent surely?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 48
RonMariner
January 19, 2024, 1:40pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,721
Gold Stars: 226
How far is FGR from Bristol? There is a well known unemployed ex manager living there I believe....
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 48
diehardmariner
January 19, 2024, 1:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from RonMariner
The problem is that Vince is perfectly capable of splashing the cash to keep them up. It is after all a one man vanity project which must have cost him millions over recent years so why wouldn't he spend big to avoid the drop into the NL. I don't think we can rely on them staying in the bottom two. Salford and Colchester could well ensure survival too.

If we are to survive we need to sort out our back 4 and start winning games to reach the safety of mid table.

I don't think there's any guarantee's as to who will stay in the bottom two or get dragged into it.  But I'm pretty sure we don't need to worry about us getting caught.

I can only ask again, what have you seen in the last two months that makes you think we're in danger?
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 48
diehardmariner
January 19, 2024, 2:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

You know, I quite like Vince and I think he talks a lot of sense.  I've never quite got the ill-feeling towards him but there you go.  But that's one of the stupidest things I've heard in a long time.

Since taking over at FGR in 2010 and up to the point of Deeney signing he had seen 8 managers leave the club, not even counting Hannah Dingley's interim role for a matter of days.   That's a rough turnover of a new manager ever year and a half.  Since Mark Cooper left in April '21 he went through an additional four managers, just over half a year each.  Fair enough Rob Edwards and Ian Burchnall were both poached after a year, but that's another indication that managers don't last.  If they're not successful they get sacked, if they are successful they get poached.

David Horseman was appointed last summer with no managerial experience other than Southampton's B Team, did he really think he would last 2 years?

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 48
diehardmariner
January 19, 2024, 2:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Veggie fans seem to be keen on Michael Flynn, available and based in the general area. I’m not sure he’d particularly need that on his CV right now either, so I think they might well have a tough time finding someone credible.

Flynn's an interesting shout, especially in this situation.  He's a bit Lee Johnson like for me, streaky.  Equally as capable of going on good runs as he is of bad runs.  Sorta like Michael Jolley with his 10 points from 12/3 points from 27 runs, just on a larger scale.  If you get the right rub of the run with him, FGR are laughing towards safety.

Swindon is a bit of a basketcase but with some of the players at his disposal you could argue he should have done better.  Didn't do great at Walsall and his run at the end was abysmal.  Walked away at Newport, failed at Walsall and Swindon.  Probably in last chance saloon at this level, might not need it on his CV but can't see many others kicking the door down.  
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 48
GrimPol
January 19, 2024, 2:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Phil the cod
I wonder what the scotch eggs are like .

Yumbles  Sell a Yummy  Corra Vegan Scotch Egg      A fresh crunchy recipe featuring Peanuts, Apples, Carrots & Mushrooms with zingy MARMITE, wrapping our uniquely crafted trademark vegan mozzarella style cheese ‘Megg,

Yummy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 48
Hagrid
January 19, 2024, 2:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,429
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from diehardmariner

You know, I quite like Vince and I think he talks a lot of sense.  I've never quite got the ill-feeling towards him but there you go.  But that's one of the stupidest things I've heard in a long time.

Since taking over at FGR in 2010 and up to the point of Deeney signing he had seen 8 managers leave the club, not even counting Hannah Dingley's interim role for a matter of days.   That's a rough turnover of a new manager ever year and a half.  Since Mark Cooper left in April '21 he went through an additional four managers, just over half a year each.  Fair enough Rob Edwards and Ian Burchnall were both poached after a year, but that's another indication that managers don't last.  If they're not successful they get sacked, if they are successful they get poached.

David Horseman was appointed last summer with no managerial experience other than Southampton's B Team, did he really think he would last 2 years?

they were both sacked?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Troy Deeney sacked

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.