Private Message
Reply: 11 - 48
Bawmariner
January 19, 2024, 1:04am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +331
Gold Stars: 1
Forest Green look a right mess at the moment. They've already signed 5 players thus transfer window including paying a fee for Emmanuel Osadebe from Bradford a few hours before Deeney's sacking. Osadebe said 'It's all about implementing what the gaffer wants'. I don't think he has to worry about that now.

Dale Vince better hope that some of the money sticks. We know all too well that signing dozens of players over a season doesn't usually end well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 48
AdamHaddock
January 19, 2024, 7:32am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,839
Gold Stars: 26
Are they the new Watford?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 48
blundellpork
January 19, 2024, 7:37am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
Their turnover of management in the last 18 months is shocking. Duncan Ferguson, the lady manager, the next bloke, then Deeney. All have seemed strange appointments, and all have gone wrong.

They look a right mess.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 48
Poojah
January 19, 2024, 8:56am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,580
Gold Stars: 1,502
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Is Paul hurst a vegetarian?

One to file under “stranger things have happened”. Forest Green now find themselves in a position where they look overwhelmingly more likely to go down than to stay up, and are looking for their 6th permanent manager in a little over 18 months. That almost certainly limits them to out of work managers.

Vince has crossed paths with Hurst a lot over the years, with Hurst more often than not coming out on top, most significantly the 2016 play-off final. From a quick check, Hurst has won 8 of the 11 games he’s managed against Vince’s FGR.

On the flip side, Hurst made a right hash of trying to keep us up from a more favourable position in 20/21 (unlike his excellent work at Shrewsbury a few years earlier), not to mention his recent demise at Town this season. Arguably though, that probably leaves both parties without many better options in the present moment, so Hurst to Nailsworth until the end of the season genuinely wouldn’t surprise me if it happened.

One to watch.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 48
diehardmariner
January 19, 2024, 9:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
I think Hurst going to FGR would be a case of need vs want.  

When he came back here he probably needed to rebuild his reputation a little.  Football has a relatively short memory so his first spell success here and then a quite remarkable job at Shrewsbury was probably forgotten about in favour of, what looked at face value, failures at Ipswich and Scunthorpe (hindsight tells us differently, of course).

I can't imagine he was batting away the offers and after almost a year out of work, I would have been shocked if he was on the radar without his previous connection to the club.  We were desperate and so was he.  He was two-and-half years removed from the end of his successful spell at Shrews, definitely when his stock was highest.

3 and a bit years later I'm not sure he's as desperate.  Yeah our form was a bit excrement towards the end of his spell but looking from the outside in he oversaw an incredible play-off campaign that included overseeing the almighty, all conquering, darlings of the media Wrexham and then an arguably even more astonishing FA campaign, certainly more high profile, last year.  We're only 10 months removed from doing over Southampton away and reaching the Quarter Finals.

The longer he's out the game, the more he's forgotten.  But I don't think he will need to take the FGR job.  If he wants it though, well that's a different matter altogether.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 48
HertsGTFC
January 19, 2024, 9:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
I once listened to a Talk Sport interview where Troy said he loved a KFC, well that's back on now for sure.

Actually lets just hope they appoint another donkey and not someone who's any good.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 48
GrimPol
January 19, 2024, 9:46am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from blundellpork
Their turnover of management in the last 18 months is shocking. Duncan Ferguson, the lady manager, the next bloke, then Deeney. All have seemed strange appointments, and all have gone wrong.

They look a right mess.

In 2023 alone they have had   Ian Burchnall, Duncan Ferguson, Hannah Dingley, David Horseman, Troy Deeney.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 48
Poojah
January 19, 2024, 9:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,580
Gold Stars: 1,502
Quoted from diehardmariner
I think Hurst going to FGR would be a case of need vs want.  

When he came back here he probably needed to rebuild his reputation a little.  Football has a relatively short memory so his first spell success here and then a quite remarkable job at Shrewsbury was probably forgotten about in favour of, what looked at face value, failures at Ipswich and Scunthorpe (hindsight tells us differently, of course).

I can't imagine he was batting away the offers and after almost a year out of work, I would have been shocked if he was on the radar without his previous connection to the club.  We were desperate and so was he.  He was two-and-half years removed from the end of his successful spell at Shrews, definitely when his stock was highest.

3 and a bit years later I'm not sure he's as desperate.  Yeah our form was a bit excrement towards the end of his spell but looking from the outside in he oversaw an incredible play-off campaign that included overseeing the almighty, all conquering, darlings of the media Wrexham and then an arguably even more astonishing FA campaign, certainly more high profile, last year.  We're only 10 months removed from doing over Southampton away and reaching the Quarter Finals.

The longer he's out the game, the more he's forgotten.  But I don't think he will need to take the FGR job.  If he wants it though, well that's a different matter altogether.

Veggie fans seem to be keen on Michael Flynn, available and based in the general area. I’m not sure he’d particularly need that on his CV right now either, so I think they might well have a tough time finding someone credible.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Troy Deeney sacked

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.