December 29, 2023, 10:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,223
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from hampshiremariner
Bobby Cummings Tackle said:
'There is a lot of psychology involved in supporting a football team, even though many of us don't recognise it. This also allows football and football results to impact our mood, mental health and how we interact with others’.

You can say that again!!!

Absolutely 🥰
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 92
diehardmariner
December 30, 2023, 9:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,636
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from arryarryarry

So why did he sign them then, he may as well have tried with the squad we had. Some of those he brought in were clearly his mates.

And for those that say the players already here weren't good enough well despite bringing in what was it 11 players he still ended up with a worse record than Runaway.

The squad he inherited would have gone down. I'm absolutely certain of that. It was excrement, unfit and getting worse. Everyone else started the season a bit disjointed but got their act together November onwards, we just regressed.

Hurst got some things wrong, but trying to rebuild that squad wasn't one of them.  Look at the line-ups for the last few games before Hurst, there's nothing in them. Even the bench is paper thin.

It was a low bar, very low. But I think he improved the squad a fair bit. The biggest problem, in my opinion, was that he waited too long to unleash the shackles on them. We need tightening up but he focused too much on that and by the time we attacked teams we had too much ground to make up.
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 92
RonMariner
December 31, 2023, 1:10pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,731
Gold Stars: 226
I think I am right in saying that, in the end, it was the defeat at Scunthorpe that was significant. They finished 5 points ahead of us so if we had won that game we would have had three points more, they would have had three points less and so we would have finished one point ahead of them. No one knew that at the time of the match, but it just shows how important that game really turned out to be.

Of course had we stayed up we would never have witnessed the most incredible play off campaign in history so every cloud has a silver lining.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 92
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 43 years

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.