HertsGTFC
December 28, 2023, 2:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,944
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from diehardmariner
I think there's a real danger of apathy setting in and I think it's lingered for a while to be honest.

It's an interesting observation, at the start of this season I stayed off here for a bit when I stopped there was a distinct air of expectation  that we'll be successful this year and in some people's mind take up our divine right in our place as the Regions top club.

There has always been a nuance of (paraphrase) "we're a proper club with great history so we deserve success" posters used to use the term "once great club" where we ever a great club? Or just a good club who every 10 years or so would have some success until JF arrived of course.

Now I've come back a bit it feels like expectation is lower and for some their view has changed to be a bit more realistic. Quite often you start watching a team when they're having success, I've often wondered if that programmes and expectation from the off that as a supporter you really don't want to let go of and face onto relaity?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 92
Heisenberg
December 28, 2023, 3:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,066
Gold Stars: 93
I think the original post is completely over the top. I’ve been on this forum recently being somewhat gloomy and challenging those who think we’re not in a relegation scrap, which right now we certainly are, but out of those 43 years the OP has been supporting town, there have been some that were exponentially worse than this one has so far been.

I am down right now about our prospects, but there’s 22 games left and a win at Salford - as unlikely as it currently seems - would have us all buzzing again.

Harrogate was a horror show, one that I didn’t see coming, but Mansfield are clearly class act as they showed at BP earlier this season. We’re clearly not at that level, but we’ve seen glimpses of what we can achieve.

Onwards and upwards. Let’s hope we extend the gap over the bottom 2 in the coming weeks - I certainly haven’t given up hope.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 92
diehardmariner
December 28, 2023, 3:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,627
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Heisenberg
I think the original post is completely over the top. I’ve been on this forum recently being somewhat gloomy and challenging those who think we’re not in a relegation scrap, which right now we certainly are, but out of those 43 years the OP has been supporting town, there have been some that were exponentially worse than this one has so far been.

I am down right now about our prospects, but there’s 22 games left and a win at Salford - as unlikely as it currently seems - would have us all buzzing again.

Harrogate was a horror show, one that I didn’t see coming, but Mansfield are clearly class act as they showed at BP earlier this season. We’re clearly not at that level, but we’ve seen glimpses of what we can achieve.

Onwards and upwards. Let’s hope we extend the gap over the bottom 2 in the coming weeks - I certainly haven’t given up hope.

Of  course we've had worse, far worse to be honest.  I'm not concerned that we're heading back to the Conference.  As I said on another thread after the Mansfield game the rest of this season will be full of good and bad performances as we adjust, but I don't for a second think we're in trouble.  There's more than enough to comfortably lift ourselves away from the relegation spots and I think we will do so.

But personally it all just feels, at this minute anyway - not just post Mansfield, a bit of Groundhog Day.  Hope, optimism, misguided belief...and then getting let down.  HertsMariner points out the ten-year cycle, well it's 25 year since we've had success really.  Again, that play-off run was just epic and once in a lifetime stuff.  But, perhaps arrogantly, it restored us to a level I've always regarded as our bottom.  I probably do need a reality check and I'm quite certain that I'm truly spoilt, but the achievement of winning promotion to the fourth tier isn't all that.  

That's completely unfair on Artell because he's inherited this position rather than contributed to it.  I really got my hopes up under 1878 that we were going on a journey, which was probably an elevated belief with the promotion in the first season and the emotional journey that was.  Last season I tolerated because I was still basking in the glory a little of the previous season.  But the letdown from this summer really knocked it out of me.  I hope and I'm sure it's nothing more than a bump in the road, but I can't deny how it's left me feeling flat and I don't think I'm alone in how I feel at the minute.

Football's a game of passion, it always has and always will be. You take that out of it and it's just 22 blokes kicking a bag of wind about.  The last 18 months have felt a real slog with largely little to play for and limited entertainment on the way.  I'm sure my enthusiasm for Town will come back, hopefully starting tomorrow night with a good result and performance!
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 92
DB
December 28, 2023, 6:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Let's face facts when 1878 took over. Town was on the rocks both on and off the field, I think the learning curve was steeper than they expected, along with ground improvements at BP and Cheapside; likewise, the squad was poor.

For whatever reason the recruitment in the close season has been proven to be poor but we are where we are. PH lost his job because of this and now we have DA. Rome wasn't built in a day, neither is a football club.

We are now in a better place than we were so let's be thankful for what we have. Ground improvements and a League 2 team.

UTM

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 92
aussiej
December 28, 2023, 6:25pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +117
Gold Stars: 17
I hope we are still not employing that recruitment expert we employed to help.Paul Hurst out... He was a great help!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 92
Spurn boy
December 28, 2023, 6:44pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,239
Gold Stars: 29
All I want is a team of players who are not only proud to wear the Town shirt but proud to play for the club, at the moment I think we have a few players who can’t really be bothered about either. UTM

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 92
TownSNAFU5
December 28, 2023, 7:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
The January transfer window is needed to fix nearly every problem  in the squad.  The number of issues is growing. It is critical to get it right.  Difficult to do with no funding or very little money.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 92
ginnywings
December 28, 2023, 7:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,142
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from DB
Let's face facts when 1878 took over. Town was on the rocks both on and off the field, I think the learning curve was steeper than they expected, along with ground improvements at BP and Cheapside; likewise, the squad was poor.

For whatever reason the recruitment in the close season has been proven to be poor but we are where we are. PH lost his job because of this and now we have DA. Rome wasn't built in a day, neither is a football club.

We are now in a better place than we were so let's be thankful for what we have. Ground improvements and a League 2 team.

UTM

This keeps getting repeated, but still isn't true for me.

I don't think anyone has got a consistent tune out of them yet, which is a different matter. When a team is struggling, it's easy to say that the players aren't good enough, but that isn't always the case.

I watched Chelsea last night, and despite spending a gazillion pounds on some of the best and most promising talents out there, they are struggling to get any cohesion in the team.

I know we are not in their orbit, but the point is the same. I believe we have perfectly adequate league 2 standard players in the squad and all that is missing is a bit of direction and belief, with maybe a smidge of luck thrown in.

Yes, we do need two or three in certain areas, mainly in the spine of the team in my opinion. Centre back, centre mid and a forward would be my preference as a minimum.

I think we have a better squad than last season, but they just aren't performing consistently to the levels they are capable of, and the manager has his work cut out correcting this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 92
Vance Warner
December 28, 2023, 8:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,810
Gold Stars: 102
I would also argue that performance levels of existing players has been more of an issue than recruitment in the summer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 92
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 43 years

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.