10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
December 27, 2023, 7:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
It would be nice to just have a squad capable of competing. My first game was in 1999 but I only started regularly going with my Dad in 2002. Since then we've had two finishes in the top half of a FL division. And only one season where we got anywhere near competing for promotion. Even last season was not as good as it looks on paper. The FA cup run was fantastic but in the main we struggled in the league with some dire performances and until getting George LLoyd on loan looked like we might be in for another relegation scrap.

Considering how bad we've been for two decades now we're still remarkably well supported but I feel like the hope of new owners, record season ticket sales and the injection of unexpected cash from the FA cup run means that the failures of this season are an even more bitter pill to swallow than in the past. It really is the hope that kills you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 92
HerveJosse
December 27, 2023, 7:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from mariner91
It would be nice to just have a squad capable of competing. My first game was in 1999 but I only started regularly going with my Dad in 2002. Since then we've had two finishes in the top half of a FL division. And only one season where we got anywhere near competing for promotion. Even last season was not as good as it looks on paper. The FA cup run was fantastic but in the main we struggled in the league with some dire performances and until getting George LLoyd on loan looked like we might be in for another relegation scrap.

Considering how bad we've been for two decades now we're still remarkably well supported but I feel like the hope of new owners, record season ticket sales and the injection of unexpected cash from the FA cup run means that the failures of this season are an even more bitter pill to swallow than in the past. It really is the hope that kills you.

While I am to old and set in my ways to not go every week I do wonder if I would be the same if like you my first experience was 20 years ago and I had missed the preceding 35 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 92
Gaffer58
December 27, 2023, 7:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Been going since the late 60’s so have experienced many ups and even more downs, but that’s football, every team, apart from perhaps the big boys in the premiership, will experience highs and lows. You could even say that Man U, for them, are having a down since Sir Alex left. So yes the grounds a dump, the football at the moment is not great but eventually the football gods will smile on us again and we will be smiling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 92
December 27, 2023, 7:58pm
Guest User
Quoted from It Bites
I’m feeling a bit fed up and I’m probably over reacting but I just feel like giving up with Town . I haven’t enjoyed going for a long time , with the odd decent game sprinkled in there . It’s not the Town I grew up knowing and loving even the Mick Lyon’s era was better than the last 20 years . Football/finances etc have changed so much I don’t even know what to expect anymore? I know my posts are often a bit off but I’m just at a loss with how hard it is to assemble a set of players capable of competing in lg2 . As we head towards another possible relegation scrap I was wondering if anyone else felt the same

Nope, I am a true, 100% committed GTFC supporter through thick and thin.

Reply: 23 - 92
Ashby mariner
December 27, 2023, 8:05pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 8
Well I know this won't go down very well. I go with my 15 year old son. Hes been going since he was 6 and we've travelled all over. However he's lost that much intrest in coming away dissapointed not just when we lose but with the performances in general. He's also taken intrest in another sport he likes participating in on weekends. I've just sold our season tickets to my friend and his nephew. Il still go now and again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 92
Mappers
December 27, 2023, 8:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,340
Gold Stars: 119
You can't do it , none of us can there is  no point in pretending .

I love football because I love Town , without Town there is no football for me .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 92
It Bites
December 27, 2023, 8:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,222
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Mappers
You can't do it , none of us can there is  no point in pretending .

I love football because I love Town , without Town there is no football for me .

Thanks mate 😊
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 92
grimsby pete
December 27, 2023, 8:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,801
Gold Stars: 222
We have been uninspiring when being successful non league.

It's only a matter of time we will turn the corner and be exciting as well as successful.

Let's hope David is the man who bring back the good old days.

Because of health problems I have watched my last live game but look forward in watching town on the telly and reading reports on here.

It would be great to read every week we were great played fast attacking football and they had no answer to pace and class .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 92
GrimRob
December 27, 2023, 8:53pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,420
Gold Stars: 113
It's the day after a game, a time for naval gazing. As the next game approaches optimism rises and the great thing about this sport is that it always has the capacity to surprise you.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 92
Plankton
December 27, 2023, 9:01pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,215
Gold Stars: 38
I can't speak for others but we've had 17 of the last 20 years where we've struggled and haven't really hit on like many believed and hoped we would. We've had some really good seasons in that time but they never seem to sustain themselves into something that feels the next 20 years will be better. If we go down again then I think that'll mark a terminal decline as the appetite for non-league football simply won't be there, in my opinion.

Every season, every football fan hopes for the best and for the majority of the teams in each league, it's a sliding scale of disappointment to despair. I think we've spent far too long in the despair stage that the passion is pouring away. Let's be real, we're all here because we love Grimsby Town Football Club and you aren't going to have many, if any roaming football fans picking up an interesting in our club.

If we start the new year well, pick up some vital points and take us up the league to give us some breathing space then we can begin to think about the future. I think a change in management has been positive, albeit sad that Hurst had to go, but this is a business at the end of the day.

I think we can accept being beaten on our day by a better side but that hasn't always been the case and players don't look up for it, either through attitude or a lack of skill. See how we go in the new year, hope for the best! UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 92
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 43 years

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.