10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Germo66
December 27, 2023, 6:11pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +120
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from It Bites
I’m feeling a bit fed up and I’m probably over reacting but I just feel like giving up with Town . I haven’t enjoyed going for a long time , with the odd decent game sprinkled in there . It’s not the Town I grew up knowing and loving even the Mick Lyon’s era was better than the last 20 years . Football/finances etc have changed so much I don’t even know what to expect anymore? I know my posts are often a bit off but I’m just at a loss with how hard it is to assemble a set of players capable of competing in lg2 . As we head towards another possible relegation scrap I was wondering if anyone else felt the same

Yes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 92
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 27, 2023, 6:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
I think all football fans go through these emotions, particularly when your team has been pretty crap for 20 years, but the highs like the Conference play offs and the cup run last season help keep us going.

But as others have commented the appeal of BP is long gone and the atmosphere that many of us older fans recall from our younger days will never return whilst the current structure remains in place. There will be the odd game where it’s lively but those periods,  McMenemy’s team, the late 70’s/early80’s and Buckley’s 2 promotions, are unlikely to recur as the all seater stadium took away too much of the grounds heritage and soul.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 92
aussiej
December 27, 2023, 6:14pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +117
Gold Stars: 17
Yes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 92
Limerick Mariner
December 27, 2023, 6:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,697
Gold Stars: 136
I’d give up a lot before giving up on Town. There’s a feck of a lot of total bullsh!te in the sporting world, champions league, premier league, Indian premier league cricket - all non-sport as far as I’m concerned. I can’t get to every home game by any stretch but I’d rather travel a 4 hour round trip to Cleethorpes than watch that bollox on TV. The problem is too many people expect instant everything - and that’s reflected in droves walking out of Blundell Park at 2-0 down with 20 minutes left. We might be poor at the moment but catch yourself on, it’s our team from our town/county.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 92
It Bites
December 27, 2023, 6:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,203
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
I’d give up a lot before giving up on Town. There’s a feck of a lot of total bullsh!te in the sporting world, champions league, premier league, Indian premier league cricket - all non-sport as far as I’m concerned. I can’t get to every home game by any stretch but I’d rather travel a 4 hour round trip to Cleethorpes than watch that bollox on TV. The problem is too many people expect instant everything - and that’s reflected in droves walking out of Blundell Park at 2-0 down with 20 minutes left. We might be poor at the moment but catch yourself on, it’s our team from our town/county.

I don’t want instant anything but 20 years with no Hope in sight
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 92
Yoda
December 27, 2023, 6:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
Yes it’s very depressing and the nightmare seems to never end.
And to see teams like Harrogate, Morecambe and Accrington have better teams on a third of the attendance we get.
We fundraise to buy good players who are then sold i think the club takes us for granted.
I couldn’t watch us again in the national league that would be soul destroying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 92
ancientmariner54
December 27, 2023, 6:58pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -185
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from It Bites
I’m feeling a bit fed up and I’m probably over reacting but I just feel like giving up with Town . I haven’t enjoyed going for a long time , with the odd decent game sprinkled in there . It’s not the Town I grew up knowing and loving even the Mick Lyon’s era was better than the last 20 years . Football/finances etc have changed so much I don’t even know what to expect anymore? I know my posts are often a bit off but I’m just at a loss with how hard it is to assemble a set of players capable of competing in lg2 . As we head towards another possible relegation scrap I was wondering if anyone else felt the same

Yes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 92
December 27, 2023, 7:30pm
Guest User
I guess many here are displaying false expectations of where we are as a football club.  We are not Grimsby Town of 25 years ago.
Look at the transfer fees we paid out then.  Several hundred thousand on players regularly.  Can we do that now? No.

We are not a 2nd tier team anymore, clubs evolved, we didn't.  We stagnated under JF and we'll struggle to play catch up.

Look at the clubs in the Championship, most have been Premier League. Must have newer grounds and most have major investment.

We have to accept we are operating at the level we are able to sustain with our resources.  Those showing signs of disgruntlement probably need to have a dawn of realisation.

We are where we are.
We are who we are.

And I for one will carry on supporting this club until the day I take my last breath.

We're all town aren't we.

UTM
Reply: 17 - 92
RonMariner
December 27, 2023, 7:33pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,717
Gold Stars: 226
It's depressing at the moment but the last two years have given us two incredible highs.

First the 2022 play off campaign, the most amazing fortnight I can remember in my decades of supporting Town, and secondly the historic cup run, beating five teams from higher divisions, an achievement that no other club has ever managed in the history of the FA Cup.

So yes, we are cheesed off at the moment, but the club are still giving us some incredible highs. So no I won't be tempted to give up supporting The Mariners.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 92
HerveJosse
December 27, 2023, 7:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
It doesn’t have to be liike this. Plenty of teams with similar or lesser resources have fans who are enjoying themselves. We just have to get it right starting from the top.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 92
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 43 years

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.