6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
It Bites
December 9, 2023, 6:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,168
Gold Stars: 264
Our manager thinks he’s the most technically gifted footballer at the club . You can tell he’s excited by what he’s seen and got . Some guys on here deserve a lot of credit for sticking with Hunt and believing he was superb and deserved a run of games . Fair play guys 👍🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Private Message
RonMariner
December 9, 2023, 6:35pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,693
Gold Stars: 226
I guess the point is that players like Hunt and Glennon will thrive in the environment that suits their particular talents. It could be that we are set up differently and don’t have square pegs in round holes to the extent we did previously.

I think we do have some good players, it’s a question of getting the best out of them and I think the best is yet to come.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 57
heppy88
December 9, 2023, 6:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
I thought Hunt was great today and was a contender for man of the match. Some of his flicks, turns and lay offs were great and although some never paid off I believe he will only improve with time, support and confidence. His work ethic today was excellent and it was understandable that he ran out of steam towards the end. Think he will be invaluable part to how Artell wants the team to play. Exciting times ahead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 57
Abdul19
December 9, 2023, 6:40pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,566
Gold Stars: 216
He gave the ball away a few times but that's because he was playing with freedom. Long may it continue as more good will come than bad.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 57
MuddyWaters
December 9, 2023, 6:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,249
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from It Bites
Our manager thinks he’s the most technically gifted footballer at the club . You can tell he’s excited by what he’s seen and got . Some guys on here deserve a lot of credit for sticking with Hunt and believing he was superb and deserved a run of games . Fair play guys 👍🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

I’ll take that!

I could never understand how you sign a highly gifted footballer on a 3 year deal and then bin him off for a couple of misplaced passes. Surely you use your most creative players? Anyway, that’s history now.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 57
louth_in_the_south
December 9, 2023, 6:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,681
Gold Stars: 96
Amazing how fans who apparently don’t understand the game can see who should be allowed to thrive . Probably more about a certain someone who played the % game .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 57
jamesgtfc
December 9, 2023, 7:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
I think Hunt was on the way out in January as a victim of our old style of play and the lack of opportunities he was getting. His technical ability has never been in doubt and it's great to see him now being utilised to his strengths.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 57
lukeo
December 9, 2023, 7:37pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Always rated him highly and wished he'd played more.
For someone who plays like Hunt you will have a higher percentage of passes incomplete because he looks for those killer passes and the more adventurous ones.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 57
always grimsby
December 9, 2023, 7:50pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +279
Gold Stars: 7
Hunt and Conteh make football look easy when they are allowed to play their way even on a heavy pitch UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 57
It Bites
December 9, 2023, 7:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from always grimsby
Hunt and Conteh make football look easy when they are allowed to play their way even on a heavy pitch UTM.

Conteh looked the real deal today .
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 57
LocalLadGTFC
December 9, 2023, 8:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,211
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from It Bites

Conteh looked the real deal today .

He is the real deal, he won’t be a Grimsby Town player for long so we have to enjoy him whilst we can.. I said we’d recoup 7 figures for him and was laughed at, his talent is obvious on the ball but it’s how he reads the game and is always one step ahead of the play. He’ll play championship football at the minimum.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 57
headingly_mariner
December 9, 2023, 8:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Just has lovely balance and awareness. Great to see him playing and playing further forward. He will score in the next few weeks as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 57
CSLM
December 9, 2023, 9:00pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

He is the real deal, he won’t be a Grimsby Town player for long so we have to enjoy him whilst we can.. I said we’d recoup 7 figures for him and was laughed at, his talent is obvious on the ball but it’s how he reads the game and is always one step ahead of the play. He’ll play championship football at the minimum.

Agreed. When people were slagging off the recruitment I said we'd get all our money back just from him.
The others are looking pretty decent to so probably not as bad as many thought.

On Hunt he will give the ball away and lose possession in dangerous areas but he is a real threat and his positivity is exactly what we need. We need players to have a go and not take the safe option, barring certain circumstances ofcourse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 57
mariner91
December 9, 2023, 9:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,651
Gold Stars: 261
Agree with Headingley, Hunt has lovely balance and is able to wriggle away out of tight spaces when he’s not scared of losing the ball and then being dropped. Lost the ball a few times further forward but he’s the only one of our centre mids with the technical ability to pull off something more creative so if you want someone like that, you have to accept that sometimes it won’t come off. He seems to be enjoying his football again and long may it continue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 57
ginnywings
December 9, 2023, 9:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
I have never doubted that PH recruited well, but he just couldn't seem to get a tune out of them.

We have some excellent and technically gifted players in the squad, but I think this is probably the case at most teams in what is a very tough league. We haven't seen any obviously poor sides this season like you normally get in league 2. A Scunny or a GTFC of 3 seasons ago for example.

There isn't much in it from top to bottom. We have beaten 2 teams in the play off spots recently, but couldn't beat 2 of the few teams below us.

We were never cannon fodder under PH, and lost most games by the odd goal, so all it needed was a slight shift to get us on the right side of results with these players, and Artell is providing that so far.

Let's hope that continues and we creep back up the league again. Got some winnable games coming up, but taking anything for granted just yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 57
jamesgtfc
December 9, 2023, 9:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I have never doubted that PH recruited well, but he just couldn't seem to get a tune out of them.

We have some excellent and technically gifted players in the squad, but I think this is probably the case at most teams in what is a very tough league. We haven't seen any obviously poor sides this season like you normally get in league 2. A Scunny or a GTFC of 3 seasons ago for example.

There isn't much in it from top to bottom. We have beaten 2 teams in the play off spots recently, but couldn't beat 2 of the few teams below us.

We were never cannon fodder under PH, and lost most games by the odd goal, so all it needed was a slight shift to get us on the right side of results with these players, and Artell is providing that so far.

Let's hope that continues and we creep back up the league again. Got some winnable games coming up, but taking anything for granted just yet.

I think there are a couple of questions about our summer recruitment. I think we definitely finished the summer a player light at CB, the jury is out on Eastwood and Vernam on a 3 year deal seems risky. In the main though, I think the players that we did sign were an improvement.

The "New Manager Bounce" has been proven to be a myth, but I think we are getting a bounce because we recruited for a style of play similar to Artell-ball and Hurst was ultimately unable to execute it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 57
Maringer
December 9, 2023, 9:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
We must be the only team in the league with just 3 centre-forwards in its squad. Two injuries and we're down to the bare bones as today. Hurst must have missed out on a player or two as the window closed. I certainly expect to see us sign another striker in January.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 57
jamesgtfc
December 9, 2023, 9:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

I think it was blatantly obvious that we had struck gold when we all saw his Gateshead highlights. The step up isn't huge, but the way he drew and exploited the press in those videos was a key part of how they played last season.

I think he will see this season out and the only chance we have of him seeing all of next season out is by getting promoted this season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 57
chaos33
December 9, 2023, 9:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Nothing is proven or unproven at this point for me. I’ve never been one for overstatement at either end of the scale. Hunt is looking a player and plenty of others have raised their game too. Gotta keep that standard up over more than 3 or 4 games.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 57
Limerick Mariner
December 9, 2023, 10:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Maringer
We must be the only team in the league with just 3 centre-forwards in its squad. Two injuries and we're down to the bare bones as today. Hurst must have missed out on a player or two as the window closed. I certainly expect to see us sign another striker in January.

I think Pyke has shown he's more suited playing wide and cutting in to support Rose. He certainly didn't look the part as a lone front man playing with his back to goal. Another centre-forward to play off is essential. I think a young CB on loan like Smith is probably the only other requirement now. If Vernam comes back in good fettle we could potentially be a bit overweight in wide players, would we allow Khan to move on?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 57
HertsGTFC
December 9, 2023, 11:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,934
Gold Stars: 228
If this lad wasn’t a footballer I’m sure he’d be a test cricketer (batsman) his fleet of foot, balance & ability to transfer his body weight is excellent in tight spaces. The important thing though is he can pass the ball, dribble and in a few short weeks under Shaun, Ben & now DA looks like he has started to play without fear.

If he keeps progressing he’ll provide us with some real entertainment for sure.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 57
Kris2
December 9, 2023, 11:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Hunt is being played in a position he's good at allowed to move into channels and create plays. It seemed like under Hurst he couldn't play the role he wanted in midfield so was left on the sidelines despite being a very good footballer and probably the most naturally gifted player with the ball at his feet the club has. Now he has a role he can thrive in, he's getting some things wrong but he's playing with the swagger to try things out so the more he does it the more he'll figure out the right pass or the right shot on goal, I was impressed by how many times he left players for dead and how confident he was in trying to make things happen.

There are others players who were lacking confidence that have now come back into some form showing what we know they are capable of. I don't know what happened at the club and it doesn't really matter now but I hope these same players kick on now for the reason of the season and keep doing what they are doing. The change in some people is quite striking.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 57
toontown
December 9, 2023, 11:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

I think Pyke has shown he's more suited playing wide and cutting in to support Rose. He certainly didn't look the part as a lone front man playing with his back to goal. Another centre-forward to play off is essential. I think a young CB on loan like Smith is probably the only other requirement now. If Vernam comes back in good fettle we could potentially be a bit overweight in wide players, would we allow Khan to move on?

Yeah, the squad needs another striker, pike looks much improved now he's being played wider.

Like hunt he was being played out of position by Hurst (obviously not for the same sustained amount of time as Hunt has been). I understood why hurst didn't play hunt as a holding midfielder as he didn't play well there. I didnt understand why he didn't try him pushed further forward were his passing skill and ability to wriggle out of a challenge would be better suited and his weaknesses less exposed.

Always makes me chuckle when I see posters say 'well the manager is playing him / not playing him so that must be the right decision as he's a professional football manager'.

That would make sense if all managers were largely the same decision wise, but one professional football manager will sometimes do the complete opposite to another. Hunt being a perfect example. Of course a manager will judge by far the majority of decisions better than fans but there are so many decisions in football, and games are so complex, with so many ways of working that it's perfectly possible for managers to be wrong about individual players or positions or tactics compared to a section of fans. The decision by Hurst that Hunt should be pretty much exclusively played directly in front of the back 4 looks like one of them.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 57
moosey_club
December 10, 2023, 1:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,252
Our first goal today stands as a testament to Hunts qualities, he plays with his head up, is intelligent , ,quick in thought and backs himself...
The short corner routine was being set up but (edit)  he had the above qualities and the technical ability to spot Eisa in the space so delivered that pass instead. the way he didnt want the pass from Glennon allowing the ball to go to Eisa instead was quality  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 57
AncientExiledMariner
December 10, 2023, 1:27am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from moosey_club
Our first goal today stands as a testament to Hunts qualities, he plays with his head up, is intelligent , ,quick in thought and backs himself...
The short corner routine was being set up but he had the above qualities and the technical ability to spot Eisa in the space so delivered that pass instead.

Artell's response to that looks like they planned it in training. Hunt executed it well, but this was mostly about the plan, and Eisa's finishing. Don't get me wrong, Hunt is doing well, and long may it continue, but he doesn't need to get the credit for everything.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 57
ginnywings
December 10, 2023, 1:46am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from moosey_club
The short corner routine was being set up but he had the above qualities and the technical ability to spot Eisa in the space so delivered that pass instead.

That would be a great point if it had been Hunt that played the ball to Eisa, but it was Glennon with the quick thinking and the pass.

I think the whole thing was stage managed with the first 2 or 3 corners being played short between Hunt and Glennon, so Crewe thought that would be the case again, with Hunt strolling toward the corner flag and suddenly finding that the ball was played quickly to the edge of the box, catching them out and giving Eisa a clear shot at goal.

A few corners to set the trap, and then a planned switch of routine.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 57
1mickylyons
December 10, 2023, 7:21am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,385
Gold Stars: 56
The way Hunt drove forward at the heart of the Crewe defence caused havoc and in league 2 terms Crewe are a decent side teams will be getting thrashed here very soon. A mystery why you sign a player on a 3 year deal and don't play him when he's easily your most creative CM? All good now though this Manager sees and believes in Hunt and he will build the team around him. Most Season's one team comes from nowhere and gatecrashes the top spots we've a real chance of being that team we will only get better.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 57
Maringer
December 10, 2023, 9:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
It was great tactics for us to make a complete pig's ear of our first couple of corners, to lull Crewe into a false sense of security...  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 57
moosey_club
December 10, 2023, 9:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,252
Quoted from ginnywings

That would be a great point if it had been Hunt that played the ball to Eisa, but it was Glennon with the quick thinking and the pass.

You are right ... I am not.  👏  I have tweaked my original post

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 57
LocalLadGTFC
December 10, 2023, 12:40pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from toontown

Yeah, the squad needs another striker, pike looks much improved now he's being played wider.

Like hunt he was being played out of position by Hurst (obviously not for the same sustained amount of time as Hunt has been). I understood why hurst didn't play hunt as a holding midfielder as he didn't play well there. I didnt understand why he didn't try him pushed further forward were his passing skill and ability to wriggle out of a challenge would be better suited and his weaknesses less exposed.

Always makes me chuckle when I see posters say 'well the manager is playing him / not playing him so that must be the right decision as he's a professional football manager'.

That would make sense if all managers were largely the same decision wise, but one professional football manager will sometimes do the complete opposite to another. Hunt being a perfect example. Of course a manager will judge by far the majority of decisions better than fans but there are so many decisions in football, and games are so complex, with so many ways of working that it's perfectly possible for managers to be wrong about individual players or positions or tactics compared to a section of fans. The decision by Hurst that Hunt should be pretty much exclusively played directly in front of the back 4 looks like one of them.

The problem is, Hurst did play him there. Last season Stockport away and we ran riot.. after that Hunt was moved back and out the team again.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 57
fishboyUTM
December 10, 2023, 12:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,068
I've said before Alex Hunt needed an arm around his shoulder and a promise he would play half a dozen consecutive games. Not fitting a player of his ability into the team is tantamount to self harm. As his match fitness and game flow inproves, he will only get better. He is far too good for this league, as is Kamil Conte so we need to utilise them both while they are still here. We've wasted 18 months of his 36 month contract already, or Hurst has.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 57
diehardmariner
December 11, 2023, 1:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Maybe time for us to move on from highlighting how Hurst got it wrong with Hunt, Glennon, Conteh, Pyke...the guy brought them into the club and Artell is now getting the best out of them.

In the immortal words of Echo & The Bunnymen, nothing lasts forever. Hurst had taken us as far as he could but it looks like he set the next guy up pretty well to continue our journey.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 57
pizzzza
December 11, 2023, 2:13pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Quoted from diehardmariner
Maybe time for us to move on from highlighting how Hurst got it wrong with Hunt, Glennon, Conteh, Pyke...the guy brought them into the club and Artell is now getting the best out of them.

You're saying that Fishy members can't sit around telling each other "I told you so, I knew there was a good player in there", etc., etc.,  and pretend that they know more about football than actual professional football managers?
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 57
It Bites
December 11, 2023, 3:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from pizzzza

You're saying that Fishy members can't sit around telling each other "I told you so, I knew there was a good player in there", etc., etc.,  and pretend that they know more about football than actual professional football managers?

It’s what forums are for . Down the pub chat and I love it
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 57
MuddyWaters
December 11, 2023, 3:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pizzzza

I've just read the 'Don't be safe' thread and it ties in very nicely.

Hurst knew full well what he was signing in Alex Hunt - a player who likes to take a chance in order to create a chance - it makes you wonder why he ended up here but he now has a manager telling him to take a chance and be less risk averse.

Two different managers, two completely different attitudes.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 57
It Bites
December 11, 2023, 4:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I've just read the 'Don't be safe' thread and it ties in very nicely.

Hurst knew full well what he was signing in Alex Hunt - a player who likes to take a chance in order to create a chance - it makes you wonder why he ended up here but he now has a manager telling him to take a chance and be less risk averse.

Two different managers, two completely different attitudes.

Hurst loved a safe win and a safe defeat
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 57
Maringer
December 11, 2023, 4:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Don't be daft.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 57
Son of Cod
December 11, 2023, 7:15pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
4 pages of people declaring they were right about Hunt all along. I'm afraid I'm going to have to call this one in for a full inquest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 57
HatTrickHero
December 11, 2023, 9:19pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +779
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from Son of Cod
4 pages of people declaring they were right about Hunt all along. I'm afraid I'm going to have to call this one in for a full inquest.

I submit my evidence for the inquest, m'lud.
Though in all honesty I didn't expect such such a turnaround so quickly, still taking in just how much I enjoyed Saturday.

Quoted from HatTrickHero
I'm not writing off Hunt until the new manager has settled in. Glennon was written off and missing from the squad in Hurst's final days, but has come back flying. Orsi was given 10 minutes at the end of games then released but showed with Crawley hes a handy player over 90.

New start for the team, only fair to wipe all the slates clean and see what they can do in a new environment.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 57
MuddyWaters
December 11, 2023, 9:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HatTrickHero

I submit my evidence for the inquest, m'lud.
Though in all honesty I didn't expect such such a turnaround so quickly, still taking in just how much I enjoyed Saturday.

In truth, it will be very interesting to see what tune DA can get out of a fit Charles Vernam.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 57
fishboyUTM
December 11, 2023, 9:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

In truth, it will be very interesting to see what tune DA can get out of a fit Charles Vernam.

I for one, believe in Charles Vernam. Let's hope he can return to fitness and become the player he was threatening to become under Holloway instead of the half Vernam held back by defensive shackes of Paul Hurst. Don't judge him on his early season performances, I believe he was struggling with injury all along. I don't doubt his potential, but it's time he realised that potential.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 57
acko338
December 11, 2023, 10:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,224
Gold Stars: 33
If Vernam comes back fully fit, and at previous speed levels, it could be like having a new signing.

We have seen that he can run WITH the ball and likes to surge at defenders.

If that can be re-harnessed along side other players getting more confidence, then it could ease the current injury problems with Wilson and Pyke picking up frequent knocks.

Good luck to him, there is definitely a player in there that we need at 100%.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 57
diehardmariner
December 12, 2023, 11:16am
Vodka Drinker
Vernam coming back is very exciting, especially with this expansive style of play.

Obviously his goal against Colchester is the one we all remember, but it's the one against Forest Green around that time that I think resonates with how Artell is setting us up.

Fluid, quick switch of play, one/two touches before giving and going....oh and an overlapping Anthony Glennon cutting inside for his winger to benefit.

Private Message
Reply: 42 - 57
fishboyUTM
December 12, 2023, 11:47am
Table Wine Drinker
Anyone know where Charles is with his recovery? Heard very little since the Telewag became utterly useless and nothing on the OS.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 57
DB
December 12, 2023, 11:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,019
Gold Stars: 386
The last thing I read about him was he would be fully recovered by Christmas/New Year, but that was in Hursty's time.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 57
Son of Cod
December 12, 2023, 12:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Anyone know where Charles is with his recovery? Heard very little since the Telewag became utterly useless and nothing on the OS.

Can't remember where, but I'm sure I read/heard he's back in training. Going off his first few interviews, I don't think Artell is gonna be any less tight lipped than Hurst was on this kind of stuff.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 57
RonMariner
December 12, 2023, 12:08pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,693
Excited to think how DA could get the best out of Vernam.

I think Khouri will be a great addition to the squad when he returns too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 57
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 12, 2023, 12:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,689
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Son of Cod

Can't remember where, but I'm sure I read/heard he's back in training. Going off his first few interviews, I don't think Artell is gonna be any less tight lipped than Hurst was on this kind of stuff.

Think Artell made brief mention of it in his post match interview with JT but wouldn’t bet my house on that’s where I heard it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 57
LocalLadGTFC
December 12, 2023, 1:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Vernam is back doing gym work as I see him quite reguarly, not sure about him being on the grass etc. He's the only two footed winger we have and has the ability to go both ways. I know he's very marmite with our fans but he's got so much ability and can really get fans off there feet when he's on it with how direct he is. Really excited to get him back fit and playing in this system as I think he is similar to Hunt in that he needs that arm round him telling him how good he is and how good he can be, I expect him to flourish under DA.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 48 - 57
Maringer
December 12, 2023, 1:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
He's the only two footed winger we have and has the ability to go both ways.

I'm not sure we should be talking about the personal lives of players on this forum.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 57
diehardmariner
December 12, 2023, 1:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
I know he's very marmite with our fans.

Genuinely baffles me this.  On the wing and at this level, he's fantastic and has proven so.

I completely agree, I think he'll be a huge asset under Artell.  Also gives us ridiculous wide options for the 4-3-3 that Artell looks to favour (Vernam, Khan, Eisa, Gnahoua, Pyke and Wilson).
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 57
LocalLadGTFC
December 12, 2023, 1:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

I'm not sure we should be talking about the personal lives of players on this forum.  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 51 - 57
mariner91
December 12, 2023, 1:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Genuinely baffles me this.  On the wing and at this level, he's fantastic and has proven so.

I completely agree, I think he'll be a huge asset under Artell.  Also gives us ridiculous wide options for the 4-3-3 that Artell looks to favour (Vernam, Khan, Eisa, Gnahoua, Pyke and Wilson).

And Ainley!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 57
sonofmadeleymariner
December 12, 2023, 2:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,446
Gold Stars: 37
My only issue with Hunt, similar to Vernam was consistency. It is clear both can play football, the problem was they only seemed to turn up one in three games, one in five games whatever it may be.

Now it might still be a little early to say he's past that, but three good performances in three games is showing promise. I do think Hunt playing higher up the pitch rather than the deeper holding role he did under Hurst has helped, he seems to have more freedom to move around and find the space he needs and wants.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 57
bedders78
December 12, 2023, 2:54pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from RonMariner

I think Khouri will be a great addition to the squad when he returns too.

He made the bench for Oxford, so can't be too far away

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 57
diehardmariner
December 12, 2023, 3:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

And Ainley!

Yep, thought I'd missed someone!

7 into 2 is a tight squeeze to say the least. Potentially a bit of flexibility in that, Arthur played in the No 10 role away at MK Dons and was excellent, I think Ainley can potentially do that too when Artell (as I expect he's smart enough to do) adjusts his system at little when it suits.

Also Wilson and Pyke could arguably classed more as strikers than wingers but, certainly in the case of Pyke, look more effective when starting out wide.  Wilson, to my eyes anyway, is looking more like an impact type sub.

All good options to have.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 57
mariner91
December 12, 2023, 3:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Yep, thought I'd missed someone!

7 into 2 is a tight squeeze to say the least. Potentially a bit of flexibility in that, Arthur played in the No 10 role away at MK Dons and was excellent and I think Ainley can potentially do that too when Artell (as I expect his smart enough to do) adjusts his system at little when it suits.

Also Wilson and Pyke could arguably classed more as strikers than wingers but, certainly in the case of Pyke, look more effective when starting out wide.  Wilson, to my eyes anyway, is looking more like an impact type sub.

All good options to have.

It is good flexibility and on their day all of them are good players at this level. Hopefully they'll find their form consistently in a new system that gets the most out of their strengths. I think Pyke definitely looks better starting out wide. He's not got the awareness or movement to play centrally but is good enough when play is in front of him to be effective coming from the touchline to support the central striker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 57
Norseman
December 12, 2023, 11:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from mariner91

And Ainley!

And Andrews
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 57
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.