December 9, 2023, 8:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,218
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from It Bites

Conteh looked the real deal today .

He is the real deal, he won’t be a Grimsby Town player for long so we have to enjoy him whilst we can.. I said we’d recoup 7 figures for him and was laughed at, his talent is obvious on the ball but it’s how he reads the game and is always one step ahead of the play. He’ll play championship football at the minimum.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 57
headingly_mariner
December 9, 2023, 8:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,363
Gold Stars: 113
Just has lovely balance and awareness. Great to see him playing and playing further forward. He will score in the next few weeks as well.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 57
CSLM
December 9, 2023, 9:00pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +640
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

He is the real deal, he won’t be a Grimsby Town player for long so we have to enjoy him whilst we can.. I said we’d recoup 7 figures for him and was laughed at, his talent is obvious on the ball but it’s how he reads the game and is always one step ahead of the play. He’ll play championship football at the minimum.

Agreed. When people were slagging off the recruitment I said we'd get all our money back just from him.
The others are looking pretty decent to so probably not as bad as many thought.

On Hunt he will give the ball away and lose possession in dangerous areas but he is a real threat and his positivity is exactly what we need. We need players to have a go and not take the safe option, barring certain circumstances ofcourse.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 57
mariner91
December 9, 2023, 9:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,652
Gold Stars: 261
Agree with Headingley, Hunt has lovely balance and is able to wriggle away out of tight spaces when he’s not scared of losing the ball and then being dropped. Lost the ball a few times further forward but he’s the only one of our centre mids with the technical ability to pull off something more creative so if you want someone like that, you have to accept that sometimes it won’t come off. He seems to be enjoying his football again and long may it continue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 57
ginnywings
December 9, 2023, 9:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,137
Gold Stars: 548
I have never doubted that PH recruited well, but he just couldn't seem to get a tune out of them.

We have some excellent and technically gifted players in the squad, but I think this is probably the case at most teams in what is a very tough league. We haven't seen any obviously poor sides this season like you normally get in league 2. A Scunny or a GTFC of 3 seasons ago for example.

There isn't much in it from top to bottom. We have beaten 2 teams in the play off spots recently, but couldn't beat 2 of the few teams below us.

We were never cannon fodder under PH, and lost most games by the odd goal, so all it needed was a slight shift to get us on the right side of results with these players, and Artell is providing that so far.

Let's hope that continues and we creep back up the league again. Got some winnable games coming up, but taking anything for granted just yet.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 57
jamesgtfc
December 9, 2023, 9:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from ginnywings
I have never doubted that PH recruited well, but he just couldn't seem to get a tune out of them.

We have some excellent and technically gifted players in the squad, but I think this is probably the case at most teams in what is a very tough league. We haven't seen any obviously poor sides this season like you normally get in league 2. A Scunny or a GTFC of 3 seasons ago for example.

There isn't much in it from top to bottom. We have beaten 2 teams in the play off spots recently, but couldn't beat 2 of the few teams below us.

We were never cannon fodder under PH, and lost most games by the odd goal, so all it needed was a slight shift to get us on the right side of results with these players, and Artell is providing that so far.

Let's hope that continues and we creep back up the league again. Got some winnable games coming up, but taking anything for granted just yet.

I think there are a couple of questions about our summer recruitment. I think we definitely finished the summer a player light at CB, the jury is out on Eastwood and Vernam on a 3 year deal seems risky. In the main though, I think the players that we did sign were an improvement.

The "New Manager Bounce" has been proven to be a myth, but I think we are getting a bounce because we recruited for a style of play similar to Artell-ball and Hurst was ultimately unable to execute it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 57
Maringer
December 9, 2023, 9:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
We must be the only team in the league with just 3 centre-forwards in its squad. Two injuries and we're down to the bare bones as today. Hurst must have missed out on a player or two as the window closed. I certainly expect to see us sign another striker in January.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 57
jamesgtfc
December 9, 2023, 9:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

I think it was blatantly obvious that we had struck gold when we all saw his Gateshead highlights. The step up isn't huge, but the way he drew and exploited the press in those videos was a key part of how they played last season.

I think he will see this season out and the only chance we have of him seeing all of next season out is by getting promoted this season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 57
chaos33
December 9, 2023, 9:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Nothing is proven or unproven at this point for me. I’ve never been one for overstatement at either end of the scale. Hunt is looking a player and plenty of others have raised their game too. Gotta keep that standard up over more than 3 or 4 games.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 57
Limerick Mariner
December 9, 2023, 10:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,698
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Maringer
We must be the only team in the league with just 3 centre-forwards in its squad. Two injuries and we're down to the bare bones as today. Hurst must have missed out on a player or two as the window closed. I certainly expect to see us sign another striker in January.

I think Pyke has shown he's more suited playing wide and cutting in to support Rose. He certainly didn't look the part as a lone front man playing with his back to goal. Another centre-forward to play off is essential. I think a young CB on loan like Smith is probably the only other requirement now. If Vernam comes back in good fettle we could potentially be a bit overweight in wide players, would we allow Khan to move on?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 57
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.