Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell January Transfer Window (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Artell January Transfer Window (merged)

This thread currently has 217,069 views. Print
138 Pages Prev ... 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 Next All Recommend Thread
Marinerdeano
February 2, 2024, 7:05am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
I'd be happier if I hadn't known that Wilson was going to. Crawley as it suggests that he isn't happy here and that we missed out on someone who would have excited us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1320 - 1373
mariner91
February 2, 2024, 7:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
If you’re Charlie Kirk and you’ve got the choice between a comfortably positioned side in L2 who you’ve played for before and is close to where you grew up or a team the other side of the country who are in a relegation battle, who are you going to choose? I know where’d I’d go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1321 - 1373
The Dogs Testicles
February 2, 2024, 7:10am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Approval: -106
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from The Yard Dog

You going watch to Scunny next season.

Town v Scunny - Yes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1322 - 1373
bradzmilne
February 2, 2024, 7:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 30
All fun & games telling JS not to worry about the lights anymore.

However, I’d be more worried about our league status - come May.

We’re a Danny Rose injury from nailed on relegation.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1323 - 1373
headingly_mariner
February 2, 2024, 7:19am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from pontoonlew
I’d describe that as a solid window. 4 players who you’d describe as likely starters in Tharne, Hume, Smith & Thompson with 2 youngsters to bolster out positions.

1 more in Kirk would’ve been nice but it wasn’t a position we were desperately in need for. We’ve managed to change 3 of the 4 positions at the back which was far more important IMO.

I'm not sure it could be described as solid.
We've lost one of our best players. Haven't signed any attacking wide players with pace.
Half of the players have injury records that Darren Anderton could look down his nose at.

We've signed 2 lads who've been playing for Cheltenham, but Cheltenham have been doing shite.

Time will tell and we may have signed some quality, but it's a big gamble to not add an experienced striker and to be relying on so many injury prone players.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1324 - 1373
LH
February 2, 2024, 7:24am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,598
Gold Stars: 175
Average window imo. Then again I thought we’d signed a playoffs squad in the summer so I know nothing.
Private Message
Reply: 1325 - 1373
Maringer
February 2, 2024, 7:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
Anyone else think it quite funny that Hurst used to be criticised for signing too many players he'd worked with in the past and now Artell is being criticised for not signing enough players he's worked with in the past?

I'd be a lot happier if we had signed another striker this window, that's for sure. Hopefully, Pyke will be back soon and Obikwu can show some decent stuff when required.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1326 - 1373
Brummie Codfather
February 2, 2024, 7:40am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Maringer
Anyone else think it quite funny that Hurst used to be criticised for signing too many players he'd worked with in the past and now Artell is being criticised for not signing enough players he's worked with in the past?

I'd be a lot happier if we had signed another striker this window, that's for sure. Hopefully, Pyke will be back soon and Obikwu can show some decent stuff when required.

Yep it’s very ironic!  You missed Wilson who either decided to stay at the last minute or wasn’t ever going anywhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1327 - 1373
The Dogs Testicles
February 2, 2024, 7:42am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Approval: -106
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I'm not sure it could be described as solid.
We've lost one of our best players. Haven't signed any attacking wide players with pace.
Half of the players have injury records that Darren Anderton could look down his nose at.

We've signed 2 lads who've been playing for Cheltenham, but Cheltenham have been doing shite.

Time will tell and we may have signed some quality, but it's a big gamble to not add an experienced striker and to be relying on so many injury prone players.

DA

The window - we’ve signed two players from a Team 22nd in League One and 6 wins in 27 (with 1 who couldn’t even get a game). We’ve lost our best player and also our leader. I feel that DA/The Club’s Obsession with recruiting from League above (regardless of position) - rather take winners from the league below us. It seems to be becoming a trend if we look at Rodgers, Mullarkey etc.

Total Football - Can’t afford it as we’re looking for those players with an entire Academy background Knowledge and Experience. But the players that are successful both with the system and the knowledge are much higher up the pyramid - and for a reason.

With Media - Naive with comments such as ‘definitely won’t go down’ and ‘hold your breath’ Conteh’s replacement. I know some fans may have been naive enough to translate this as confidence but often these things come back to bite you in the bum in Football. Charlie Kirk may come (let’s be honest - he was always heading back to Crewe with his mates and DA knew this!).

I don’t like the way he feels that he isn’t accountable; nothing seems to be his fault, it’s either Hurst, the players etc etc.

Not warming to him and I really wish we’d have recruited a very astute Non-League Manager who knows the Prem and NL to recruit that raw talent in line with what we can afford. I think this is why we did ok in NL because we could draw those players in.

Sorry guys, I know it’s a glass half empty but I really think he’s going to destroy us and the damage will be a complete rebuild required!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1328 - 1373
HertsGTFC
February 2, 2024, 7:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Some entitled comments on here, clubs 5th from bottom of the  EFL generally have average transfer windows.

In January we’ve added a LB, RB, CH, MF x 2 and Striker.

Though we lost Conteh we got some decent money (TBC) and we may have lost a striker who couldn’t be relied on to be part of the match day squad and I suspect wanted to go back South. The other 3 departures were decent lads but squad players.

Oh yeah & BTW Alex Hunt still plays for GTFC 🙄

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1329 - 1373
138 Pages Prev ... 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Artell January Transfer Window (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.