7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
quebec38
November 26, 2023, 9:23am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,587
Gold Stars: 48
I was a little disappointed with the lineup yesterday in all honesty. It felt like a backwards step dropping Green. It’s a no-brainer who is the better player out of Green and Conteh but results on the pitch aren’t backing it up. I thought we should have stuck with him anchoring Holohan and Andrews.

I was pleased to see Wilson start through the middle with Pyke wide where I think he’s been more effective. It quickly became evident though that Wilson needs a partner closer to him and I don’t think he can spearhead a three man attack in the way that Rose can, which is no criticism - it just doesn’t seem to be his game. Sutton had two up top and I was hoping to see S and B roll the dice and match them as the game went on but unfortunately it never happened.

Really disappointing after the Morecambe game.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 65
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
November 26, 2023, 9:40am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from quebec38
I was a little disappointed with the lineup yesterday in all honesty. It felt like a backwards step dropping Green. It’s a no-brainer who is the better player out of Green and Conteh but results on the pitch aren’t backing it up. I thought we should have stuck with him anchoring Holohan and Andrews.

All of our midfielders have had their best performances this season when they’ve either been on the bench or not in the squad at all.

Green played a major role in both of Forest Green’s goals.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 65
MuddyWaters
November 26, 2023, 9:51am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,265
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from quebec38

I was pleased to see Wilson start through the middle with Pyke wide where I think he’s been more effective. It quickly became evident though that Wilson needs a partner closer to him and I don’t think he can spearhead a three man attack in the way that Rose can, which is no criticism - it just doesn’t seem to be his game. Sutton had two up top and I was hoping to see S and B roll the dice and match them as the game went on but unfortunately it never happened.

Sorry but if Green is the answer to our problems then we're truly copulated.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 65
Running like emson
November 26, 2023, 9:55am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +285
Gold Stars: 8
Ennui. That sums up yesterday’s experience. But we will be there next game. Hoping.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 65
November 26, 2023, 10:22am
Guest User

What gives you that impression?😄

I just feel it is a nonsense. Take today - look at the stats and you would get the wrong impression. We had far more possession and more shots on target. So what? What does it prove? Anybody at the game could see they were the better team; possession is immaterial as they don't play a possession based game but were better at what they do.

Football is too nuanced to be reduced to numbers, apart from the result and league table  which tells you all you need to know. Maybes, couldbes and nearlies don't count.

Player data is equally ridiculous. Our centre backs probably have the best completed pass stats because they keep passing it between each other. What's the point? I understand the footballing reasons for it but reduce that to data and it is irrelevant.

Then you  get the absolutely ludicrous stats that say don't worry about being 4th bottom of league 2, because some daft stats show that you had more throw ins in the final third, you had more corners or whatever. None of it matters.

My final point is ALL data is retrospective so has no bearing whatsoever on what happens in future games. The opposition is different,  the weather is different,  the tactics might be different,  the venue might be different,  the team might be different thereby altering the dynamics and ad infinitum.

It is a modern phenomenon which has embedded itself in the game but if we are to improve our season we need a manager who can set us up right, players who can be coached into a style of play they are comfortable with and drilled week in week out.

I'm in a minority of one, which I am comfortable with. Others have different views and talk about marginal gains and such and good luck to them if they believe it.

So I absolutely believe in your right to your opinion, and I have one question for you.

If using stats is so bad, how come Premier League teams and other EFL teams are using them?

Reply: 54 - 65
HerveJosse
November 26, 2023, 2:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from 123614

So I absolutely believe in your right to your opinion, and I have one question for you.

If using stats is so bad, how come Premier League teams and other EFL teams are using them?

Because if they don’t spend some their tv money on this they would have to pay the likes Rashford £400k a week instead of £350k and that might be considered an even bigger waste of money
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 65
November 26, 2023, 2:13pm
Guest User
Don't believe that for a minute!
Reply: 56 - 65
Zmariner
November 26, 2023, 2:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,130
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from quebec38

I was the same, Sutton are physical, I thought not dirty, but big and strong. I was expecting to see Green in there above Andrews/Holohan.
Holohan was really poor and I would have replaced him earlier than they did.
Effete is good in a tough physical match and unless injured would have figured for me
I like Wilson but he cannot lead the line and I thought this failed although we were not blessed with much choice. Maher is off it at the moment and I see central defence as our weakest part.
In short I did not like the team selection at all and we were out fought by a very limited Sutton team. We certainly have the look of a relegation team and this new manager needs a couple of new faces in to fix this defence, utm
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 65
lew chaterleys lover
November 26, 2023, 2:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from 123614

It's a very fair question. I suppose they genuinely think it gives them a competitive edge, no matter how small, but of course that leads to a whole host of questions in itself as most analysts will come to different conclusions (often wrong) and like everyone else have different expertise in their field. I rather fancy that just like managers they will come in range of the good the bad and the ugly.

The teams doing well will have well balanced squads,  a good manager and a way of playing that suits them with data analysis a long way back. We have none of those things so a data led approach will get you precisely nowhere.

Private Message
Reply: 58 - 65
acko338
November 26, 2023, 5:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,223
Gold Stars: 33
Missed Rodgers and Green.

We have no pacey No 10 to harass and chase so teams have time to play out with no threat.

Basics of good accurate passing and running not strolling are 2 definite needs, whoever is picked in the 18 of the squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 65
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.