MuddyWaters
November 25, 2023, 7:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from chaos33

F**s sake, get a grip. You’re obsessed. Are you ok?

Here we go.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 65
Maringer
November 25, 2023, 7:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,542
Gold Stars: 185
I was left thinking that the type of 4-3-3 we're currently playing (with these players, at least), isn't going to win us too many points. Yes, most of the players were in terrible form and I can't recall a game where I've seen so many hopelessly scuffed attempts at clearances or simple passes, but the general shape was just full of holes today. Sutton had so much space out wide at times that, if they could cross, they'd have created dozens of chances. I can barely remember us blocking a ball into the box all afternoon.

The weakness of the squad up top was very clear today as well. Wilson can't lead the line - he's not strong enough and not clever enough to win the fouls that Rose does. He was being manhandled all game, but I don't remember a defender being penalised once for any of them and, in fact, he gave away a few himself. We couldn't bring a striker on to try and mix things up, because we simply don't have another in the squad! For them, Angol proved a handful when he replaced their No. 40 who was, himself a handful.

It was disheartening to see us unable to effectively cope with their big No. 9, even with Waterfall in the team. The guy was massive and knew what he was doing, but it was luck that he didn't get a brace. I suppose you could say it was a good save from that header, but the guy was completely unmarked.

I'm very relieved that we got a point today, which isn't what you want to be saying after a somewhat fortunate draw against the league's bottom team!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 65
lew chaterleys lover
November 25, 2023, 7:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from chaos33

F**s sake, get a grip. You’re obsessed. Are you ok?

Of course I'm OK. I am discussing why Hurst assembled such a disjointed squad despite having all the help from various backroom staff. Have you an opinion on it?
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 65
GibMariner
November 25, 2023, 7:49pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21

Of course I'm OK. I am discussing why Hurst assembled such a disjointed squad despite having all the help from various backroom staff. Have you an opinion on it?

This.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 65
Spurn boy
November 25, 2023, 7:58pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,240
Gold Stars: 29
It’s almost 3 hours since the end of this game and I’m still pretty piste off about the performance as much as the result, we played very much like Hursty was still in charge which after the recent performances was disappointing, Sutton got more confident as the game went on as they realised we were poor. Team selection was wrong from the start although I thought Waterfalls inclusion was justified and he had a decent game. The substitution’s didn’t have any effect as both Clifton and Khan struggled to get involved and generally it was a poor team performance and we were lucky to get a point as Sutton missed 2 good chances to score in the 2nd half. I want to blame someone for today’s poor performance but I don’t know who, players management or owners.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 65
Bogtrotter
November 25, 2023, 8:06pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +203
Gold Stars: 8
I'm not going to go over how terrible we were, except to agree that the new manager needs to hit the ground running or we are toast. You could see their goal coming a mile off.

In a brighter note; what on earth did their number 4's parents feed him? He was flipping huge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 65
acko338
November 25, 2023, 8:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,223
Gold Stars: 33
How can so many of them lose the ability to pass accurately  run round the pitch at a higher pace and not trip over each other when chances occur?

Do we actually practice corners and can't Glennon hit the ball further than near post every time?

Boring, slow, predictable, and so easy to defend so not great.

Waste of time centre halves going up time after time with no chance of receiving the ball.

Not a good watch after the 30 minute mark to the final whistle.

An in form Danny Rose would possibly have had a field day against their defenders with the amount of crosses that DID make it across goal.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 65
CSLM
November 25, 2023, 8:18pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12
No doubting we were lucky not to get beat and were pretty woeful for most of the game. Somehow the match even worse than some of the games last season.

It is odd though how it's virtually unanimously agreed that the players are terrible and we are in desperate trouble. After the morecambe game supposedly the players were good enough and top half and playoffs were being mentioned. Talk about from one extreme to another. Definitely somewhere in between I would say.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 65
chaos33
November 25, 2023, 8:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360

Of course I do. It’s your obsession with analysis and data and it’s use in the modern game that is odd. You’re absolutely wound up by it as a concept. I dont get it.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 65
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 25, 2023, 8:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Pretty much everything has beer said but a big factor in our poor performances is the fact that our midfield players simply don’t show for, or even want, the ball passed to them and the only player with any sort of vision on the ball is Glennon who regularly switches play and hits some quality balls.

Waterfall did very well in very difficult circumstances and for me Mullarkey had one of his better games. Conteh started well but appeared to lose confidence with his passing and just kept laying it backwards. Gav takes up some absolutely sublime positions but is totally incapable of making anything of these and is not fit enough to get back quickly when the ball is lost.

Pyke scored but to me never looks interested, shows no passion, no physical aggression or drive and seems a totally unHurst like player I’m baffled by his signing. Arthur did ok in the first half but god knows where he was supposed to be playing when Khan came on and it was crying out for Green and Hunt to get on and try and influence some change.

Very disappointing performance and one that causes concern given two games against the bottom two has produced two points and our inability to beat teams in and around the relegation zone has cost us dearly before.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 65
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.