7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
November 25, 2023, 5:52pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Positives- 5 unbeaten, taken 5 points from 9, which isn't great, but better than we have been doing. We also didn't let Sutton or FGR gain any ground on us, so could be worse, but could be a lot better.

Negatives- Where do I begin? Today again, we looked like the away side from about 30 minutes onward, with the opposition pressuring us more and more as the game went on, the ball coming back constantly and us not being able to fashion and decent moves or any sustained pressure as a home side should.

Poor control, poor passing, poor choices, terrible throw ins and lax play giving the ball back to them constantly. I really don't get how other teams seem to be able to keep the ball and make simple passes to each other, yet it seems beyond our capability. Holohan was the main culprit today, but the others weren't much better.

Only one side deserved to win that game, and but for a bad miss and a great save from Cartwright, it would have been Sutton. Twice we were carved open down the centre in the second half again, but fortunately they blew their chances. Cartwright really shouldn't have had the chance to save the header from Smith, but we got out of gaol.

If you look at the stats on the BBC website, it appears that we were the better of the 2 sides, but in reality, all our possession was in our back third, and most of theirs was too.

We need someone to come in and drill the players for hours and hours on pass and move until it becomes second nature.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 65
sonofmadeleymariner
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Hagrid
Only positive is we got a point. And the games over

2 poor sides, with us poorer. Got the early goal though Pyke again, didnt build on it at all, dont think we had another shot on target for the rest of the game?

Gifted Sutton an equaliser with our customary defensive and goalkeeping errors.

2nd half we were absolutely excrement, could have and should have lost but for poor finishing, and a great save from Cartwright.

That was a very worrying performance, We missed Danny Rose but no excuses. New man has a huge job on his hands

To be honest I think Hagrid has hit the nail on the head there. We're in desperate need of a new manager, and possibly in need of about 4 or 5 players if not more

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 65
moosey_club
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Physicality and pace were lacking. Played OK first half but too timid at 1-0 up. Holohan Arthur Mullarky linked up well first half but all looked anonymous second half.
With their height they are always going to cause issues so suprised that their goal didn't come from that.
Poor not to see the first half out and second half never got started. Subs .....i thought they helped stem the Sutton momentum but didn't really give us the overall advantage..then players ran out of steam.
Some green shoots, throw ins quicker first half, half decent crosses coming in, channel running to get their defence turned but ultimately we don't have the pace and power to compete with Sutton one v one.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 65
Sinkfortheladies
November 25, 2023, 5:55pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +63
Gold Stars: 1
I honestly don't think we, as a club, are in as bad a state as many do.

Yes, it was horrendous in the second half. There was a complete lack of bravery from our midfielders to get on the ball and do something. Which led to playing long balls against a team of giants.
That is down to bad habits and lack of cojones to stay on the ball. Nobody wanted to be the player who played us into trouble so they just hoofed it.

If/when we appoint a new manager, we do have the players in the squad able to play decent football, as the first 10 mins showed.

We are missing someone who, when we are coming under pressure, can get on the ball and calm everyone down.

Hopefully the new manager can find that in the squad and it'll be onwards and upwards.

Have a great night ladies and gentleman.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 65
buckstown
November 25, 2023, 5:58pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,181
Gold Stars: 79
Well that was a shocker with very few redeeming features. Great shame we didn't get the second just before their equaliser as that would have made a massive difference. Think it was Wilson who virtually passed it to their keeper, we then give the ball away in midfield and it's 1-1
Our passing is very very average but there's so little movement it makes it easier for the opposing defender to get a foot in. Gav was very guilty today and it was a shock when he stayed on, unless Andrews was injured.
Second half looked like only one team was likely to get a winner and it wasn't us. The new manager has a big job galvanising this squad into an effective team
Always finish on a positive, so thought both fullbacks were ok, and although Pyke often looks a bit clumsy he was in the right place and also did some good work
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 65
LocalLadGTFC
November 25, 2023, 5:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,228
Gold Stars: 137
The problem with Conteh, is that if the players in front of him aren't making the runs he becomes a bit of a liability in there. He's exceptional at reading the game and winning the ball. I don't know why on earth we are persisiting with him at the 6, we don't have the personnel to do it. We aren't intelligent enough, he's on a completely different wave length half the time. Get him in the 8 with Greeny behind him and Harry/Gav alongside them. We dropped our standards massively today and seemed to expect to walk over them. We was walking about on the pitch and there was 0 intensity. I think Khan needs to be a mainstay in the team, he's direct and gets at his full back. We was far far too predictable today.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 65
pontoonlew
November 25, 2023, 6:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,041
Gold Stars: 177
Hard to remember many where I’ve been more frustrated than that watching it.

Players running into each other, getting in the way of through balls and a complete inability from almost everyone to string one simple pass together.

I love Holohan but he was absolutely abysmal, got into good positions to do something on 5 or 6 occasions and ended up looking like a competition winner every single time.

The only positive I can take from that is that I reckon we’d have lost that 6 weeks ago, as it happens we’ve got a point from it and remain unbeaten.

The new manager has to be in this week, you could tell me until you’re blue in the face that the process takes time but this has gone on far too long. There’s a saying in the recruitment industry - ‘time kills deals’ and this particular process is killing any chance we have of finally kick starting our season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 65
male private Nale
November 25, 2023, 6:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Boonsy
Awful.... there were players out there today who just did not seem interested...  the club maybe on a sound footing but the squad has some serious issues.. forget the remarks of playing sound football but losing, that was neither sound and we should have lost against what was a very poor opposition... worrying times ahead for town

Sound mate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 65
cannylad65
November 25, 2023, 6:12pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: +89
Gold Stars: 6
We need a new goalkeeper.

Fortunately Cartwright is on loan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 65
Mayaman
November 25, 2023, 6:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
Mularky played ok I thought. He had some good runs but nobody seemed to want the ball, so he just ran into a dead end.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 65
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.