November 26, 2023, 5:50pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,861
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from HertsGTFC

When you watch Holohan he’s looking a bit lazy passes the ball (often sloppy) and then either stands still or starts walking.

When we’ve not got the ball his work ethic looks light, maybe the data thingy in his vest is proving me wrong but generally good midfield players keep moving with or without the ball.

I’ll get slaughtered for the above as I know he’s popular with a lot of the supporters. Again won’t be popular but if one has to go out for one to come in I think he’d be a consideration.

I've thought similarly watching him out of possession lately and yeah he certainly doesn't often quickly track back and reset his position when attacking moves break down. There have though been a number of occasions where we've gone on to quickly regain possession and his advanced position has been beneficial in the subsequent attack, so there is a trade off to his style of play. I can't say i'm a massive fan of it but I've held off on criticising him for it because I don't know if him remaining in those advanced positions is down to laziness or our tactics.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 154
AncientExiledMariner
November 26, 2023, 5:54pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Chrisblor

I've thought similarly watching him out of possession lately and yeah he certainly doesn't often quickly track back and reset his position when attacking moves break down. There have though been a number of occasions where we've gone on to quickly regain possession and his advanced position has been beneficial in the subsequent attack, so there is a trade off to his style of play. I can't say i'm a massive fan of it but I've held off on criticising him for it because I don't know if him remaining in those advanced positions is down to laziness or our tactics.

I think you have to earn your attacks. You defend as a team, and attack as a team. Some players justify being included solely for their attacking abilities. They are luxury players and they certainly help convert chances, but out of it and you're carrying them. IMHO if Holahan wants to be in the team, he's got to get the basic off the ball out of possession down first, then build on it with attacks if we earn it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 154
HerveJosse
November 26, 2023, 6:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144

We all appreciate Gav but yesterday he seemed to spend most of the match with his hand up apologising to team mates, and even the crowd at one point. When he does make a mistake it really sets him back on his heels instead of trying to make amends.

I've rarely seen a player who is so up and down with his performances. He can have a really good influential game, be the main goal threat and then look like a competition winner in subsequent games.

He’s a player who didn’t play his first game in the EFL until nearly 30 and is shortly to be 32 an age when midfielders start to run out of gas. His passing has always been inexplicably bad even when not under pressure. Short answer is we need better quality players if we are going to get anywhere. Same goes for at least half a dozen others who are in and out the side
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 154
Maringer
November 26, 2023, 10:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,551
Gold Stars: 185
After looking at the highlights, definitely no touch for their goal. It was just a bizarre piece of goalkeeping from Cartwright who thought the shot was going to his right, even though a shot in that direction would have had to go through Waterfall and there was a massive gap to his left. As others have mentioned, it was incredibly poor from Holohan as well. He just didn't even attempt to get back. Something odd going on with him yesterday as he was so terribly poor. Must have been about his worst performance for us. I'm normally happy enough to see him in the starting line-up as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 154
Norseman
November 27, 2023, 12:33am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from GrimRob
Just hope there are two sides worse than us. Not sure who!

If there is 2 teams worse than us  I haven't seen them yet
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 154
16 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Match Thread Sutton

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.