GibMariner
October 29, 2023, 8:25am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

They doubled the season ticket sales virtually overnight for starters got an immediate promotion and gave us a wonderful cup run , I have to agree with the values bit though.  

After COVID and change of ownership the moment was perfect to capitalise and they did this really well with a certain lingo to boot. All good stuff. But values “give me a break”

When its going wrong the rule book goes out of the window.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 93
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 29, 2023, 8:26am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from jamesgtfc

The decision was dependent on the result. He said within the interview that the board hoped he did effect change yesterday, but he didn't and that is why the decision was taken.

When you run a company you have to say things to the media.

The words you say are just words. They don’t represent what you feel or want to say.

You choose the blandest, least confrontational language you can find to shut down the interview, and any subsequent questions, in as quick, professional and risk free manner as possible.

Assuming what Stockwood writes in his articles is correct, there is no way this was a sudden decision or based on Saturday’s loss in isolation.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 93
chaos33
October 29, 2023, 8:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,938
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from GibMariner

After COVID and change of ownership the moment was perfect to capitalise and they did this really well with a certain lingo to boot. All good stuff. But values “give me a break”

When its going wrong the rule book goes out of the window.

You’re not making any sense. What’s your problem with having ‘values’? Is anyone making a deal of that anyway?

‘When it goes wrong the rule book goes out the window?! ‘ Right. What’s the ‘rule book’?!
Our owners are planners. Strategists. They know about threats and set backs and challenges etc. I think that, at least inspires some level of confidence/reassurance in response to a situation like ours right now.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 93
1mickylyons
October 29, 2023, 8:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from moosey_club
Decent enough statement/interview....effecting change a key point for me....and the data references ....I think data shows what we all see...lots of possession, little effort on goal, low goals scored......translation = its fking boring to watch and hasn't brought many points.

I expect the new people to have an attacking style of play and don't buy for one minute they don't have someone in mind given they have been looking at data for a while.

Spot on assessment mate .I get people looking at data and stats  but the eyes don't lie we have seen poor football most games .Our better footballers are nowhere near the first team Hunt,Glennon, Khan can all pass the ball and take a setpiece. None of the 3 are particularly good at defending though and so there creativity was badly missed .They were sacrificed to beef up the defence and it failed miserably I'll be amazed if the new incumbent doesn't include them in the matchday squads?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 93
stuart brace was king
October 29, 2023, 8:50am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +145
Just discovered the news, read the comments and listened to the JS interview.
A real shame Paul couldn’t kick on and continue the success but the recent run demanded a change and in my opinion the timing of this announcement is spot on… opportunity to turn things round, not happening, out.

Much of this thread talks about the "data" quotes from JS which is interesting, but what I found far more intriguing/disturbing/indicative? was the constant reference to "Chris and Paul".

Maybe I’m over sensitive, but in an interview like this JS would be concentrating on his key messages and the fact that CD was always mentioned with but ahead of PH in the partnership was interesting.  

Perhaps alphabetical order, perhaps it trips off the tongue better…. or just maybe gave an indication and insight into the recent problem?

Would be interested in others' thoughts, but after 55 years it won’t change my allegiances.

UPTHE MARINERS
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 93
lew chaterleys lover
October 29, 2023, 9:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from forza ivano
I'm sorry lew, but you're making yourself look a bit silly.
You will use data, or have data used on your behalf, every day of your life
You choose which insurance to take out based on the data of price, service, convenience etc etc - the data doesn't tell you who to use, but it gives you soem guidance. Equally data informs the insurance company as to what to charge you.
Presumably you have some of pension? The pension and investment community uses data all he time to INFORM its decisions. INFORM being the operative word.
I'm sure Jason has made the same point,as did PH.
One last point. If our data scientist said that throw ins down the line in our own half are 10% less likely to result in the opposition gaining possession, or if throw in down the lines in the opposition half resulted in 5 or 10% more crosses or chances, would you still ignore those stats, or might you just incorporate them into your tactical plan?

I've no worries about whether I look silly Forza and it won't be the first time.

I said I would be in a minority of one due to the prevailing wind on the subject. Just like everyone thought Charles Hughes was right when data told him most goals came from 5 passes or less so everyone jumped on that bandwagon.

I think some are missing the point I'm making. I know data collection is endemic in the game. I know everyone uses it. I would even acknowledge it can be useful in the right hands.

My point is that you can have all the data in the world, but if it comes up against a stubborn manager who insists on playing one up front, or a player who can't take a set piece, or players whose confidence is shot or a squad that is unbalanced or the opposition more savvy then the data will not be used effectively and is probably making things worse.

I am simply saying there are too many variables which affect performances rending data next to useless.

The data that Jason referenced yesterday I found unfathomable in the sense he is in danger of allowing data to override common sense; saying we have been playing well, or not too bad was ignoring the way opposition managers thought we were a soft touch, we had very little sustained attacking and were becoming a liability at the back and the small matter of being close to the relegation places.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 93
ginnywings
October 29, 2023, 9:45am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from arryarryarry

Probably not as many as you flipping moaning about my comments, if you don't like what I post don't read them f'wit

Well my stats were right, he took us out of the League, so why are we 4th from bottom if our stats are that good or is that just a bit too difficult for you to understand?

You have such a way with words.

Ever considered sports journalism?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 93
GrimPol
October 29, 2023, 10:16am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -681
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

What a narrow minded viewpoint...when you say they've brought nothing new i take you've already forgotten all the money pumped into BP and cheapside, a complete and comprehensive change in the running of the business, inefficient staff replaced, and the club is lightyears away from when Fenty had it, with a completely different ethos, its no longer an old boys club, its being run efficiently, as a business with an aim to improving year on year.

Some of its correct, but other things you are just parroting.
"inefficient staff replaced,"  Says who? You? Prove it.

"lightyears away from when Fenty had it" He ran it for 16 years (one way or another) 1878 2 years. We are currently "circling the drain" of demotion. So lets see eh.?

"its being run efficiently, as a business" Well we jumped from a UK wide known sponsor in Youngs, to a "startup" MyEnergi. I'm sure there was a better deal, but.... MyEnergi has made workers redundant due to poor sales. 25% redundancy sounds shaky to me. Thats the problem with start ups, they either Go Google or disappear.
So like most of the fans I welcomed 1878, the jury is still out. Just because you wanted to jump out the Fenty Frying Pan, landing , perhaps, into the 1878 Fire is not what I would want to do.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating , the saying goes. This pudding is still in the oven.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 93
friskneymariner
October 29, 2023, 10:26am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
What those who rely on data don't realise is that football to the fans is about feelings and emotions.The ability to get fans on their feet is far more important that how fast a player can do the bleep test.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 93
Northbank Mariner
October 29, 2023, 10:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,497
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from GrimPol

Some of its correct, but other things you are just parroting.
"inefficient staff replaced,"  Says who? You? Prove it.

"lightyears away from when Fenty had it" He ran it for 16 years (one way or another) 1878 2 years. We are currently "circling the drain" of demotion. So lets see eh.?

"its being run efficiently, as a business" Well we jumped from a UK wide known sponsor in Youngs, to a "startup" MyEnergi. I'm sure there was a better deal, but.... MyEnergi has made workers redundant due to poor sales. 25% redundancy sounds shaky to me. Thats the problem with start ups, they either Go Google or disappear.
So like most of the fans I welcomed 1878, the jury is still out. Just because you wanted to jump out the Fenty Frying Pan, landing , perhaps, into the 1878 Fire is not what I would want to do.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating , the saying goes. This pudding is still in the oven.

Pal, myenegi have just secured £30 million in investment, hardly going to dissappear are they?..plus, it was a well known fact the agreement with youngs was quite a poultry figure, heard it been  said the sponsorship was doubled with MyEnergi.
All the fentyites have been binned, if you can't see the club is far more progressive, has improved in nearly every functionality(admittedly outside of the on the pitch performances) of the business, the  im not sure where you're argument lies re " perhaps into the  1878 fire" tbh.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 93
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason’s interview

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.