arryarryarry
October 29, 2023, 4:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from ginnywings

Wonder what the stats are for the percentage of your posts you have mentioned that in the last 2 years?

Probably not as many as you flipping moaning about my comments, if you don't like what I post don't read them f'wit

Well my stats were right, he took us out of the League, so why are we 4th from bottom if our stats are that good or is that just a bit too difficult for you to understand?
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 93
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
October 29, 2023, 5:16am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
I think Jason handled this very well, it would have been easy for him to let their obvious friendship get in the way but it’s good to see the club came first. UTM

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 93
Sandford1981
October 29, 2023, 6:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Data in and of itself is neither bad nor good, purely it’s a numerical representation of a physical act in a football match (in this context).
The majority of the time the information is only as useful as the person interpreting it.
But we all do it without realising it everyday in normal life but in football also.

How do we assess a midfielder for example? Made some good passes but gave it away 3 times and excrement out of at least 2 tackles in the last couple games. Puts in a shift for 90minutes but positionally goes missing and so I’m not so keen on him. That’s data!

How do you assess your striker? Works tirelessly running the channels and pressing but isolated far too often and flicks headers through to their keeper as a result. Lacks physicality against ale house centre backs but picks up too many yellows. Does have an eye for goal though with 6 in his last 10 games. He’s a must for the starting 11.
That’s data!

‘The league table doesn’t lie’ is a cliche in football but that’s data too. It’s everywhere in various guises.

I don’t think I’ve read anyone saying it should be the only tool in the box but it’s part of football and always has been. It’s part of a modern manager’s armoury.
The way we collect it and use it has changed but it’s always been there in some form or another even if it’s not blatantly obvious and it’s benefit not appreciated by all.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 93
pen penfras
October 29, 2023, 7:14am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from ginnywings
When we were in that slump in non league and people were calling for the head of Hurst, the board kept him on because the stats suggested we were better than the results were showing, and we went on to get promoted, so you could say, in that particular case, the use of stats worked very much in our favour, and we had a fortnight that will never be forgotten.

If we had got rid at that time, you never know what might have happened, but there is a more than even chance we would still be in non league.

Who knows?

That interview is so contradictory. Why give him that game if you've decided to get rid anyway? Would a win yesterday have meant all was OK and he should carry on?

The data and performances are good, but they got rid. Yet they never considered sacking him in the NL with a worse run.

If they said something underlying was wrong, I missed it, but he should have gone whenever they realised this, which wasn't at 5pm yesterday.

All a bit odd to me. If he just said we're excrement and need a change to get the best out of capable players then I'd understand it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 93
pen penfras
October 29, 2023, 7:23am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from GibMariner

All clubs use data, but most don’t talk about it as though something new has been invented.

Absolutely. And we had most of this data long before Hurst was here. We didn't have the guy to specifically look at data for new signings, but it's hard to call that well spent money so far
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 93
Brummie Codfather
October 29, 2023, 7:34am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +852
Gold Stars: 21
As a data analyst this thread has me feeling a bit attacked 🤣.  I think the key things I’d say around what I do, is that I can highlight trends & key drivers but it’s up to my managers to choose how to act on what I show them - I very rarely advise them on what to do as they have far more experience on that than I do.  
The second point is that the Town analyst is paid far less than what I am, so will have much less experience.  Not saying he isn’t great at his job but may still be finding his feet.
Ultimately data & what it shows is a tool to help make decisions, it can’t do it for you - that’s why businesses & football clubs have managers & why they carry the can of things go wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 93
jamesgtfc
October 29, 2023, 8:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,967
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from pen penfras

That interview is so contradictory. Why give him that game if you've decided to get rid anyway? Would a win yesterday have meant all was OK and he should carry on?

The data and performances are good, but they got rid. Yet they never considered sacking him in the NL with a worse run.

If they said something underlying was wrong, I missed it, but he should have gone whenever they realised this, which wasn't at 5pm yesterday.

All a bit odd to me. If he just said we're excrement and need a change to get the best out of capable players then I'd understand it.

The decision was dependent on the result. He said within the interview that the board hoped he did effect change yesterday, but he didn't and that is why the decision was taken.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 93
GibMariner
October 29, 2023, 8:14am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from jamesgtfc

The decision was dependent on the result. He said within the interview that the board hoped he did effect change yesterday, but he didn't and that is why the decision was taken.

When has that ever been any different. No owners wants to sack and start again a person they often are very close to.

These guys have not brought anything new as i see it, and values “give me a break”. Let’s just hope these professional investors have a lucky plan.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 93
dapperz fun pub
October 29, 2023, 8:20am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,954
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from GibMariner

When has that ever been any different. No owners wants to sack and start again a person they often are very close to.

These guys have not brought anything new as i see it, and values “give me a break”. Let’s just hope these professional investors have a lucky plan.

They doubled the season ticket sales virtually overnight for starters got an immediate promotion and gave us a wonderful cup run , I have to agree with the values bit though.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 93
Northbank Mariner
October 29, 2023, 8:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from GibMariner

What a narrow minded viewpoint...when you say they've brought nothing new i take you've already forgotten all the money pumped into BP and cheapside, a complete and comprehensive change in the running of the business, inefficient staff replaced, and the club is lightyears away from when Fenty had it, with a completely different ethos, its no longer an old boys club, its being run efficiently, as a business with an aim to improving year on year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 93
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason’s interview

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.