Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Next Town manager ?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
1mickylyons, 99agrant, acko338, AdamHaddock, AdSense, AncientExiledMariner, AndyDarloFC, aussiej, bartgtfc, Bawmariner, bedders78, BeijingMariner, Belfast Town, benny1618, Bigboy, biggleswademariner, Bignic69, Bigwinn1975, BobbyCummingsTackle, Brazilnut, BruceytheFish, BulkyMariner, Captaincod, chelseacity, chipsandgravy, Chrisblor, Civvy at last, cjbill, CodHead, Craigy01, Crumbcrusader, crusty ole pie, Crystal, CSLM, DaleGTFC, Davec, davmariner, denni266, devs, Dick Johnson, Doctor Sanchez, drbell, Epworth Mariner, EvilFish, forza ivano, Gainsbro_Mariner, GhostDan, Gill, GollyGTFC, Googlebot, Grant Baily, Grantley, grassbandits, GrimExile, GrimRob, Grimsby69, grimsbybrown, gtfc_chris, Gyranger.2, gytone, Hacksaw jimmy cook, Hagrid, HarrogateMariner, Heswall Mariner, HistonMariner, HoratiusEberlin, horsforthmariner, IlkleyMariner, immariner, ivanosandwich, Jackal, Jackie Lewis, jamesgtfc, jonnyboy82, kafunanapar140909, Knut Anders Fosters Voles, krispy84, Limerick Mariner, Lincspoacher, LivvosRomanNose, LocalLadGTFC, louth_in_the_south, lukeo, MaccasBoots, Madeleymariner, Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, Mappers, Mariner John, Mariner Timsky, Mariner16, mariner91, Mariner93er, Mariner_501, Marinerdan, MarinerDevil, marinerjase, MarinerMal, MarinerRob, Maringer, Matthew, Meza, Mighty_Mariner, mike502, Milky Bar Kid, mimma, Misterton Mariner, MNH1972, Morph2000, mr b, Neilo83, Nelly GTFC, nigelh, nomorefourfiveone, norfuk mariner, Northbank Mariner, NorthseaMariner, Northy81, out of town, OZMAN, PaceyMariner, Parkooo, paulmblythe, Peeler_Crab, percentagefootball, pontoonlew, Poojah, Posh Harry, Roast Em Bobby, Rodley Mariner, Running like emson, Ruston AT, sam gy, ScottyUTM, scott, shaun the sheep, smokin joe, Southwark Mariner, Spidey, SpiritOf98, Stew0_0, Stranger in the Park, SWMariner, Tavistock Mariner, Teesknees, The Dogs Testicles, thevera, Tinymariner, Tom13, TonySmith, Total Hawsehole, Town Monkey, Townforlife, TownSNAFU5, TwoLeftFeet, UTMAdinfinitum, Vigo_Mariner, Wedidntdidwe, Wemble1998, wembley_double98, WesternMariner, WOZOFGRIMSBY, Zmariner and 767 Guests

The last message you viewed in this thread was reply number 1351.

Next Town manager ?

This thread currently has 324,059 views. Print
204 Pages Prev ... 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
November 17, 2023, 1:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from monkeyboy
Do you think if Neil Warnock offered his service they would take it? would you?

I think I’m demeaning my future self by even answering this.

Statistically, I’m almost 40 years from my death. I will always remember the last 20 seconds I’ve wasted.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1350 - 2034
Poojah
November 17, 2023, 1:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,761
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

This argument is ridiculous because Michael Joly didn't work, it doesn't mean every young manager will be a failure.

We have been down every single "path" with choosing different managers, this doesn't automatically result in failure for those deemed to be in the same category.

Every individual should be judged on their own merit.

See, this is a hill I will die on; Michael Jolley did ok with the tools at his disposal. He inherited a dire situation from Slade, we hadn’t won in 15 games and had taken just 4 points in the process, kept us up and never really had us in any danger during his tenure, which is more than can be said for the likes of Newell, Slade, Holloway and even Hurst of years gone by. Bignot, too, was always an accident waiting to happen.

In my opinion if Jolley doesn’t get caught gobbing off, doesn’t get sacked and takes the reins during that Covid season, we don’t get relegated. Of course, that would mean we’d have missed out on that playoff campaign, but I can’t bring myself to lump him in with some of the absolute dross we’ve had in the dugout in the last couple of decades.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1351 - 2034
Mikey_345
November 17, 2023, 3:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

This argument is ridiculous because Michael Joly didn't work, it doesn't mean every young manager will be a failure.

To say that Michael Jolley didn't work somewhat misses the issue, what was success when he came in?

He stopped us going down when even the most optimistic of us where probably resigned to it and put together a team, that whilst was not moving forward much I genuinely don't think would have been anywhere near going down. He blooded our own players, Clifton, Rose, Wright and Pollock. He was by no means the messiah, but on balance I think he succeeded in the job he was given when matched against the realistic expectations.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1352 - 2034
Sandford1981
November 17, 2023, 4:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Poojah

See, this is a hill I will die on; Michael Jolley did ok with the tools at his disposal. He inherited a dire situation from Slade, we hadn’t won in 15 games and had taken just 4 points in the process, kept us up and never really had us in any danger during his tenure, which is more than can be said for the likes of Newell, Slade, Holloway and even Hurst of years gone by. Bignot, too, was always an accident waiting to happen.

In my opinion if Jolley doesn’t get caught gobbing off, doesn’t get sacked and takes the reins during that Covid season, we don’t get relegated. Of course, that would mean we’d have missed out on that playoff campaign, but I can’t bring myself to lump him in with some of the absolute dross we’ve had in the dugout in the last couple of decades.

Good evening Michael! Bit early to be on the hard stuff isn’t it?

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 1353 - 2034
TheRealJohnLewis
November 17, 2023, 4:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from Mikey_345

To say that Michael Jolley didn't work somewhat misses the issue, what was success when he came in?

He stopped us going down when even the most optimistic of us where probably resigned to it and put together a team, that whilst was not moving forward much I genuinely don't think would have been anywhere near going down. He blooded our own players, Clifton, Rose, Wright and Pollock. He was by no means the messiah, but on balance I think he succeeded in the job he was given when matched against the realistic expectations.

It didn't work because he got fired! I wasn't commenting on what constitutes success, but rather that a certain "type" of manager, e.g. young, inexperienced, hire within, experienced etc dictates how future managers will perform.

Private Message
Reply: 1354 - 2034
mariner91
November 17, 2023, 5:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Mikey_345

I'd totally agree that he did a great job when he came in and did really well to keep us up. Ironically, towards the end of that season was when we played our best stuff under Jolley with the home performance against Notts showing some really good football. However, I think people forget just how turgid and dire the football was before his mouth got him fired. It was useless, aimless long balls with no runners in behind. And a relatively toothless forward line of Hanson, Green, Cardwell and Akheem Rose. None of them have played in the FL since leaving us which is fairly damning. We also had Vernam but he was fairly terrible until he was sent out on loan to Chorley.

We were dropping like a stone after an early season purple patch from Hanson had seen us start well. I don't think we'd have gone down because Macclesfield and Stevenage were so bad plus Bury going bust meant only one went down. But everyone generally remembers Limbrick seeing a fairly big upturn in performances despite losing virtually all the games he was in charge of yet nobody seems to remember that this was because we were so bad under Jolley from around September onwards. The only good game in that period was the fantastic win away at Exeter where we were actually very good but that's because we totally changed the line up by dropping Green and Hanson and had balls in to Ogbu's feet with runners off him in the form of Rose, Wright, Cook and Robson. Yet he reverted back to the same shite long ball the very next game. He didn't fail as such because virtually nobody could do well under Fenty but he certainly wasn't a good manager.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1355 - 2034
Sandford1981
November 17, 2023, 5:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from mariner91

I'd totally agree that he did a great job when he came in and did really well to keep us up. Ironically, towards the end of that season was when we played our best stuff under Jolley with the home performance against Notts showing some really good football. However, I think people forget just how turgid and dire the football was before his mouth got him fired. It was useless, aimless long balls with no runners in behind. And a relatively toothless forward line of Hanson, Green, Cardwell and Akheem Rose. None of them have played in the FL since leaving us which is fairly damning. We also had Vernam but he was fairly terrible until he was sent out on loan to Chorley.

We were dropping like a stone after an early season purple patch from Hanson had seen us start well. I don't think we'd have gone down because Macclesfield and Stevenage were so bad plus Bury going bust meant only one went down. But everyone generally remembers Limbrick seeing a fairly big upturn in performances despite losing virtually all the games he was in charge of yet nobody seems to remember that this was because we were so bad under Jolley from around September onwards. The only good game in that period was the fantastic win away at Exeter where we were actually very good but that's because we totally changed the line up by dropping Green and Hanson and had balls in to Ogbu's feet with runners off him in the form of Rose, Wright, Cook and Robson. Yet he reverted back to the same shite long ball the very next game. He didn't fail as such because virtually nobody could do well under Fenty but he certainly wasn't a good manager.

This is much more how I remember it too!

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 1356 - 2034
toontown
November 17, 2023, 6:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from mariner91

Totally this. Remember players being told to mark oppo players even when we had the ball! Also was the epitome of being more bothered by the opposition than us, chopped and changed us literally every week - that 11 that thrashed the league leaders never played together again. We really were incredibly dull under him before he got sacked. Barrow actually said one of the factors for sacking him was he said in his interview saying he would play attacking football and then did the opposite when employed.

His success was due to being a much better manager than Slade MK2, and getting a lot more out of the team he had put together, but he was still pretty poor. Corrected errors like playing Berrett and replaced him with clifton, got rose on to pens and long throws - basic stuff that was beyond Slade by then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1357 - 2034
ancientmariner54
November 17, 2023, 6:36pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -173
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It's much easier when the opportunity is effectively a free hit. We could have easily lost at Slough and were behind at half time to Morecambe. I'm delighted that we have won the last two games, don't get me wrong, but the job will become a lot more difficult if the job changes from 'caretaker' to 'permanent'.

Why .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1358 - 2034
Gaffer58
November 17, 2023, 7:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Is anyone running a book as to when an appointment will be made, next week, next month, next year?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1359 - 2034
204 Pages Prev ... 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Next Town manager ?

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.