Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Next Town manager ?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Next Town manager ?

This thread currently has 325,201 views. Print
204 Pages Prev ... 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 ... Next All Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
November 15, 2023, 12:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,106
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from sam gy
Don't know anything about him really, or how highly (or unhighly) he is rated, but i've been surprised to not see ex Lincoln Mark Kennedy linked much, if at all? Especially seen as his assistant is Danny Butterfield.

Danny Butterfield has been desperate for a management opportunity for quite some time. He has applied for our vacant positions a couple of times in the past, so it wouldn't surprise me if he has applied again this time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1270 - 2034
arryarryarry
November 15, 2023, 12:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,018
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Poojah

My thoughts on this. I’m prepared to look past the first Slough game, which took place under a multitude of difficult circumstances, and since then they’ve returned two positive results and two improved performances out of two. In doing so, they have restored faith that there is some reasonable talent in this squad and certainly made tangible improvements to our attacking play, even if defensive frailties remain at present.

In terms of what they’ve been asked to do, they’ve done a sterling job. So far. We have to be careful about getting too excited about a couple of games, one of which was against a side over 40 league places below us. And we need to retain the assumption that we are in a precarious position; getting our next managerial appointment right remains absolutely paramount.

Ultimately, the number one priority facing Stockwood and Pettit right now is identifying the indvidual(s) best suited and best qualified for the job, offering the highest probability of a good outcome, by whatever means of assessment available to them. Realistically, Shaun and Ben’s collective CV is weak, and so all they have to back themselves with is what’s happening in the here and now.

The problem with that is, I don’t think you can delay the appointment of an outstanding, more qualified external candidate while we try to work out whether Pearson and Davies are capable of doing the job long-term. Snooze, and you might lose. Situations, like a manager’s availability, can change rapidly in football.

You would assume that they will remain in charge for this weekend’s game against Forest Green, but beyond that it’s hard to say. Our next game after that is Sutton at home on the 25th November, which marks the four week anniversary of Hurst’s exit.

I consider four weeks sufficient to run a diligent recruitment process, especially when you consider that tentative plans were being drawn up while Hurst was still at the club. Even if we win our next two games, replete with renewed vigour, I’m still not sure we’ll have sufficient evidence that Ben and Pearson are the best men for the job - it’s still a very limited pool of data to go on.

This may be harsh on the two of them, both of whom have been great ambassadors for the club, but the only way I see them landing the gig permanently is if the external process naturally runs for another 4 or 5 weeks from here, and they’re still clocking up the points with good performances.

I just don’t think it will. My personal expectation is that we’ll make an announcement some time between the Forest Green and Sutton games, and it will be someone from outside the club currently.

I think it would be more than 4 weeks, my understanding was that not losing at Doncaster may have kept PH in the job so I would assume the board have been looking longer than 4 weeks.

May be they want to announce a new manager at the fans forum a week on Friday.
Private Message
Reply: 1271 - 2034
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 15, 2023, 12:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,353
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from arryarryarry

May be they want to announce a new manager at the fans forum a week on Friday.

I doubt this, they're not really into showboating or making grand gestures. I'd suspect that they would want the new man to start asap, regardless of fan's forums or otherwise.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1272 - 2034
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 15, 2023, 12:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,784
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from sam gy
Don't know anything about him really, or how highly (or unhighly) he is rated, but i've been surprised to not see ex Lincoln Mark Kennedy linked much, if at all? Especially seen as his assistant is Danny Butterfield.

Think the football played by Kennedy’s teams is very similar to that we have seen under PH and Lincoln fans would say that excitement is not top of his list of priorities. Think he would be a safe pair of hands, especially in getting the defensive side sorted, but not what we would be looking for at present.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1273 - 2034
Blundellite
November 15, 2023, 12:54pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +95
Gold Stars: 18
just been reading an article on Justin Cochrane and a year ago before joining Brentford he turned down manager offers from league one and assistant coach roles in the prem. To entice him here would be one hell of a coup - he is only 1 year into a 3 year contract with Brentford. Can't see it myself unfortunately
Private Message
Reply: 1274 - 2034
jonnyboy82
November 15, 2023, 1:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
As much as shaun and Ben have done well we need to look at the bigger picture,  imo it's not the right time to give them the job right now. It's just not the right time.

Think ahead to recruitment contacts etc they are built over time with experience in management,  they should definitely be part of the coaching team and then look at were they want to get to themselves,  if they want management in their careers then look at jobs lower down and get your experience their.

I think they both could be good managers but just not right now with us.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1275 - 2034
chrissy
November 15, 2023, 1:29pm

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563
The big test on how much better we are under the present management will be when we go to Oxford. They are a very good side in the league above scoring plenty of goals. We need to tighten our defence and be at our best going forward or the cries for Ben and Shaun to be permanent managers will go very quiet.

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1276 - 2034
acko338
November 15, 2023, 1:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,213
Gold Stars: 33
Town will need some expertise in the forthcoming transfer market, as well as utilising the present players in the squad.

With full respect to both Shaun and Ben, have they got enough current experience to devekop those already here and any newcomers in a short time period?

If those here suddenly come good, why not for Hurst?

New broom, wrong tactics, wrong formations, too many changes, not closing games out??
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1277 - 2034
pontoonlew
November 15, 2023, 1:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from chrissy
The big test on how much better we are under the present management will be when we go to Oxford. They are a very good side in the league above scoring plenty of goals. We need to tighten our defence and be at our best going forward or the cries for Ben and Shaun to be permanent managers will go very quiet.

I’d be very disappointed if we’re not going to Oxford with a new manager
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1278 - 2034
Jarmo.Is.God
November 15, 2023, 2:43pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
I do love the fact we are 128 pages in, and no actual rumours, just names being thrown around  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1279 - 2034
204 Pages Prev ... 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Next Town manager ?

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.