Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Next Town manager ?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Next Town manager ?

This thread currently has 325,208 views. Print
204 Pages Prev ... 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 ... Next All Recommend Thread
ivanosandwich
November 16, 2023, 9:38am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from 140415[b
]I think that how quickly Shaun and Ben have turned things around is bloody amazing really. We have gone from a side devoid of attacking ideas to front foot football in three games with entertainment thrown in[/b]. Also listening to Shaun and Ben speak is like a breath of fresh air...and of course they ooze Grimsby Town!!

I remember years ago, when John Cockerill took over as caretaker and the amazing difference he made very quickly, being disappointed and baffled how he didn't get the gig.

I am quite sure that Messrs. Stockwood and Petit are watching dutifully. How refreshing to have proper Grimsby heartbeats monitoring the club's pulses properly.

I admire your optimism and I am with you 100% but I think we have to give a bit of balance to your statement.

The three games include two against a team two leagues below us, so I would argue that we can only really consider one of those three games in the "turn around".

That said, the Morecambe game was an excellent result and attacking performance. If we get 7 points from the next 3 league games, then I would also agree it's an amazing turnaround.

I am also a fan of Shaun and Ben, so keen to see them do well in the future, be it in the Manager's seat or supporting the Manager.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1310 - 2034
Sandford1981
November 16, 2023, 9:49am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,099
Gold Stars: 59
Some posters on here were happy to discount Pearson and Davies on the basis of one game. Therefore by the same (perhaps flawed) logic after 2 good wins and (by enlarge and comparatively speaking) 2 good performances it’s natural people are talking them up.
I think what the last 3 games gives is an opportunity not to rush an appointment whoever that may eventually be. I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing but I’m sure my outlook may change if results dipped over the next few games.
There are so many variables and moving parts to all of this but I have complete faith that the people in charge will appoint the right person or/and people to the roles to achieve success.

***disclaimer***
The opinion expressed in the last sentence is valid as of 16/11/2023. It is subject to change in the event that it does not come true and it is used against me in the future to show I was full of excrement and very wrong.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 1311 - 2034
DB
November 16, 2023, 10:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.35
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,065
Gold Stars: 391
I do like Ben and Shaun's style of play and they have played 3 lost 0. That said 2 of those games were against Slough, so in reality, they have only played 1 league team. Both FGR and Sutton are 6 pointers at the moment and I think to start to judge them after those games so that we will have the results from 3 league games, would be the right way.

JS & AP may think differently and a new face might appear at BP, who really knows what they are thinking. Time will tell.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1312 - 2034
wuffing
November 16, 2023, 10:58am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +854
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from 123614
Really surprised that people are saying how brilliant Shaun and Ben are when they have only been in charge for 3 games, 2 of them against a team of part timers.  We need to see what the next few games deliver in points (if we haven't appointed a new manager by then, hopefully we have) then maybe the worshiping just might be valid.

I didn't say that they were 'brilliant.,' but just that how quickly we've gone from stagnation, which for whatever reason had happened to the team. Also to come from behind in two of those games shows new belief.

We have created more chances in two games than we had done in countless past league games. Its quite baffling that they are the players that PH brought in and players that I wholly agreed with pre-season, so something went amiss somewhere? I am not advocating their imminent appointment, but quickly enjoying again the new style of play, however short term it may - or not - be?

But the reason Shaun Pearson was brought back to the club, I believe, is for his leadership qualities and his influence in the dressing room. As we know, the football world turns quickly and on results. But for now, I'll lap up what's on offer. The opposition can score 4 if they can manage it, but from what I have seen in two games, we can create and score 5....

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1313 - 2034
Zmariner
November 16, 2023, 11:14am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from 123614
Really surprised that people are saying how brilliant Shaun and Ben are when they have only been in charge for 3 games, 2 of them against a team of part timers.  We need to see what the next few games deliver in points (if we haven't appointed a new manager by then, hopefully we have) then maybe the worshiping just might be valid.

I tend to agree with this. Fine margins, Morecambe could easily have gone wrong but I loved the style. Slough was fun but not a measure for me. We are in a perilous league position and need a winning sequence urgently. 4 points from the next 2 games essential. Defence will need Jan signings I think , which I think is a hell of a lot easier than finding forwards. Love the new caretakers but not the time for sentimentality. Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1314 - 2034
LocalLadGTFC
November 16, 2023, 11:20am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,417
Gold Stars: 142
Quoted from 123614

Think it's more the change in attitude and style rather than results. There's a clear gameplan with players doing the hard graft playing for them. Like Lew suggested you could have a top coach come in and it all go south, you need that element of luck. Football management is sort of a if it's not broke then don't try fix it, look at Birmingham for the perfect example of that. If we beat FGR and Sutton then I think they have a very good chance of landing the gig. We all know Shaun Pearson was brought in when Hurst returned because of his charachter and his values as a person as much as his ability on the pitch. The way he carries himself as a person and a pro are exactly what Jason and Andrew are looking for, couple that with Ben Davies who's career spanned 16 years at levels higher than this. I for one am not opposed to them taking the job permanently as everything comes with risk attatched no matter who we appoint.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1315 - 2034
MuddyWaters
November 16, 2023, 12:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Think it's more the change in attitude and style rather than results. There's a clear gameplan with players doing the hard graft playing for them. Like Lew suggested you could have a top coach come in and it all go south, you need that element of luck. Football management is sort of a if it's not broke then don't try fix it, look at Birmingham for the perfect example of that. If we beat FGR and Sutton then I think they have a very good chance of landing the gig. We all know Shaun Pearson was brought in when Hurst returned because of his charachter and his values as a person as much as his ability on the pitch. The way he carries himself as a person and a pro are exactly what Jason and Andrew are looking for, couple that with Ben Davies who's career spanned 16 years at levels higher than this. I for one am not opposed to them taking the job permanently as everything comes with risk attatched no matter who we appoint.

It's much easier when the opportunity is effectively a free hit. We could have easily lost at Slough and were behind at half time to Morecambe. I'm delighted that we have won the last two games, don't get me wrong, but the job will become a lot more difficult if the job changes from 'caretaker' to 'permanent'.
Private Message
Reply: 1316 - 2034
gtfc_chris
November 16, 2023, 12:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,522
Gold Stars: 118
Out of interest, why is it that some people have this belief that SP and BD aren't 'top quality' coaches?

Does anyone on here have day to day contact with the first team setup and can offer genuine first hand insight into what the guys are doing?

There seems to be this underlying theme in some quarters that you can only be a top quality coach if you've had previous experience and I'm baffled where this comes from. There's no doubting that experience can offer many benefits but when judging any coach on their ability it's not a pre-requisite.

In it's most basic format, a good coach simply has an idea of how they want to play and can communicate that effectively to the team, motivating and demonstrating improvement where necessary. There is a skill to it and naturally some will be better than others, but for some it comes naturally and experience doesn't have the same weight it does to those who don't come by it naturally and have to learn as they go.

We can't really judge BD and SP off three games to say where their talents fall on the grand scale of things but they deserve praise for what they've done so far and if they can keep the run going then it'll be hard for them not to be at the forefront of peoples minds.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1317 - 2034
LocalLadGTFC
November 16, 2023, 12:31pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,417
Gold Stars: 142
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It's much easier when the opportunity is effectively a free hit. We could have easily lost at Slough and were behind at half time to Morecambe. I'm delighted that we have won the last two games, don't get me wrong, but the job will become a lot more difficult if the job changes from 'caretaker' to 'permanent'.

We should of been 2/3 up at half time against Morecambe, we battered them from the 2nd minute onwards. What suddenly changes if they get the permanent position? We are recruiting a head coach, someone that is effective on the grass. I've seen a few sessions of Ben Davies as I took my talent assessment badges and he's very very good at what he does. A man that understands the game and how to improve players, he's a born leader and more importantly understands people. He's turned down other jobs to stay local and we are very lucky to have him in that capacity. I didn't take the chance to ask him whether he ever fancied a forray into management, merely wasted all my time on asking him about coaching and his ideologys  
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1318 - 2034
ska face
November 16, 2023, 12:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,856
Gold Stars: 854
Quoted from gtfc_chris
Out of interest, why is it that some people have this belief that SP and BD aren't 'top quality' coaches?

I think the reason is because Dave Moore has managed twice as many league games as the both Pearson & Davies combined.

I appreciate that it was good to get a win on Saturday, but some people are beyond parody.
Private Message
Reply: 1319 - 2034
204 Pages Prev ... 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Next Town manager ?

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.