Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Paul hurst and the owners.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Paul hurst and the owners.

This thread currently has 6,463 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
jonnyboy82
October 24, 2023, 9:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Paul We all respect you as a man and a manager,  what you've done for this club is admirable and you will always be welcome to Blundell Park but now is the time for you to move on and leave on  amicable terms .

All good things come to an end and I'm sure all the fans will hold you in high regard but please please go seek another challenge .

As for the owners don't let your emotions get in the way in what is no doubt a difficult decision . Paul is a good man and a good manager but we need new direction new ideas and a new manager.

When you took over our club these are the decisions you need to make to not kill our club like the past owner did.  Don't let personal friendship or emotion get in the way and for in no doubt how difficult it must be we need to part ways right now so we do not find ourselves in a position were eventually a new manager will be given a task with a team what could easily be bottom of the league by Christmas because as form shows over the past 20 or so games that is were we are heading.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimsby pete
October 24, 2023, 10:10pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,801
Gold Stars: 222
Please don't leave it too late Jason/ Andrew he must go soon so the new man can see what we need in the January window.

Do the honourable thing Paul resign now and save the board from having to sack you.

We have gone backwards and all the money that was made from our cup run have been wasted.

We thought we had signed better players but for some reason it has not worked out.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 53
MuddyWaters
October 24, 2023, 10:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,262
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from grimsby pete
Please don't leave it too late Jason/ Andrew he must go soon so the new man can see what we need in the January window.

Do the honourable thing Paul resign now and save the board from having to sack you.

We have gone backwards and all the money that was made from our cup run have been wasted.

We thought we had signed better players but for some reason it has not worked out.

Blimey, you’ve changed your tune!
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 53
GrimRob
October 24, 2023, 10:19pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,420
Gold Stars: 113
We've only got 1 league game between now and Morecambe on 11th November. Can have a new manager installed by then. Donny and maybe Slough can be caretaker games.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 53
Yoda
October 24, 2023, 10:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,141
Gold Stars: 71
You would like to think the board have a short list prepared.
We need a clear out of all the coaching staff and some fresh ideas.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 53
grimsby pete
October 24, 2023, 10:24pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,801
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Blimey, you’ve changed your tune!

Not really I said he needed 10or more games before we call for his sacking.

Well he has had them and a few more and we are worse off and look like conceding a goal every time the other team attack.

He can take Eastwood with him he must be the worse keeper we have had in years.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 53
GrimRob
October 24, 2023, 10:26pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,420
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Yoda
We need a clear out of all the coaching staff and some fresh ideas.

That should be a decision for the next manager.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 53
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 24, 2023, 10:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,839
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from GrimRob

That should be a decision for the next manager.

But……………….. who is it going to be 🤷🏻‍♂️

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 53
Simon
October 24, 2023, 10:40pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +237
Gold Stars: 33
I'm broken, don't know what to say i'm lost for words i just hope Jason & Andrew do the right thing, if this was business and a manager of a tech firm or real estate company was failing in the way Hurst is at the moment they would be out the door faster than he could say P45 so whats different here, why the silence, why the inaction from the directors

Come on guys, grow some balls and do the right thing

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 53
Teestogreen
October 24, 2023, 10:48pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -156
Gold Stars: 23
I think these directors will continue to back the current management team - as they don’t fear relegation - as they know the fans will get behind the team on the next promotion attempt at League 2!?

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 53
Limerick Mariner
October 24, 2023, 10:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Simon
I'm broken, don't know what to say i'm lost for words i just hope Jason & Andrew do the right thing, if this was business and a manager of a tech firm or real estate company was failing in the way Hurst is at the moment they would be out the door faster than he could say P45 so whats different here, why the silence, why the inaction from the directors

I’m broken as well mate, don’t know what to make of tonight. After the plucky effort on Saturday I was confident about tonight. Good defensive footballers suddenly don’t know what they are doing and probably now have little confidence in the man behind them - that never ends well without a change.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 53
heppy88
October 24, 2023, 10:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
I was shocked to hear Croft’s on Humberside defending Hurst, saying he still had the dressing room and that that should be enough to see him through. How can that first half performance, the games before, our current league standing suggest he should keep his job? I think some believe Paul Is just too nice a bloke to be moved on. I can’t believe another club in the EFL would put up with this and especially with the overwhelming feeling of the fans attending.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 53
Mariner93er
October 24, 2023, 11:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,738
Gold Stars: 28
After hearing Hurst's interview, I think it's highly likely that tonight will be his last game in charge. I had this niggling feeling that the owners would hold off, but he sounded almost like he's waiting for the chop.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 53
davmariner
October 24, 2023, 11:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from heppy88
I was shocked to hear Croft’s on Humberside defending Hurst, saying he still had the dressing room and that that should be enough to see him through. How can that first half performance, the games before, our current league standing suggest he should keep his job? I think some believe Paul Is just too nice a bloke to be moved on. I can’t believe another club in the EFL would put up with this and especially with the overwhelming feeling of the fans attending.

I thought it was a very fair/level headed assessment from Crofty. Now, you may disagree with him, but nothing really to be shocked at.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 53
heppy88
October 24, 2023, 11:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from davmariner

I thought it was a very fair/level headed assessment from Crofty. Now, you may disagree with him, but nothing really to be shocked at.

I guess I was shocked because I’m seeing these shocking home performances week in week out. He might come across as fair and level headed. But the reality is what his assessment based on? Just because he believes he has the dressing room does not excuse what we are witnessing on the pitch. How anyone can take any positives with what we are seeing and believes a manager should keep his position is baffling. Seriously how can any of us really take any positives from our current situation?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 53
headingly_mariner
October 24, 2023, 11:08pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,379
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from davmariner

To be fair to Crofty he is excellent. He gives a real expert view on things that are going on and his analysis of the games is class.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 53
smokin joe
October 25, 2023, 12:31am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: -128
he has got to go just for the two mistakes he made at the start of the year two realy crap keepers in
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 53
louth_in_the_south
October 25, 2023, 1:31am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 96
PH has been walking the plank for a few weeks now . I’m pretty sure the new owners or CEO will have been approached by a few agents regarding the position so would think they’ll have a shortlist ready .

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 53
1mickylyons
October 25, 2023, 7:40am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
PH has been walking the plank for a few weeks now . I’m pretty sure the new owners or CEO will have been approached by a few agents regarding the position so would think they’ll have a shortlist ready .

Tell you Fenty would be getting slaughtered by the fans at this stage it got toxic under Slade and that wasn't with a budget like we've wasted on sub standard players and coaches.
B Corp,Scotch Eggs and Diversity hold no interest for me I just want to see a decent home game with some passion. Fans forum due soon hmmmmmm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 53
Mappers
October 25, 2023, 7:53am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,340
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Tell you Fenty would be getting slaughtered by the fans at this stage it got toxic under Slade and that wasn't with a budget like we've wasted on sub standard players and coaches.
B Corp,Scotch Eggs and Diversity hold no interest for me I just want to see a decent home game with some passion. Fans forum due soon hmmmmmm

They have credit in the bank , much like Hurst had .

But that credit won't last forever and they have their first tough decision to make  ; I mean Hurst going by that interview is seemingly almost  begging to be removed  and realises it's not good enough ; so surely they must know likewise .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 53
HatTrickHero
October 25, 2023, 7:57am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +781
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from headingly_mariner

To be fair to Crofty he is excellent. He gives a real expert view on things that are going on and his analysis of the games is class.

He really does put the situation on the pitch into clear explanations. I appreciate him for this, Saturday for instance he pointed out towns frustrating possession....they put some good passing moves together then throw it away with a final scruffy pass.
Bang on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 53
HerveJosse
October 25, 2023, 8:45am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
One factor that is unspoken on here but presumambly is part of the owners decision making process at least in private is the cost of removing and replacing the manager and some at least of his back up team. I believe it’s been reported Hurst is on an 18months rolling contract. We can only guess what the others contract arrangements are. Then there are recruitment costs. Total cost guess £300k plus.. Anybody any better guesses?
Then there are the new players who a new manager will want and are unbudgeted and the cost of disposing of those trey don’t want.
Total must be £500k plus of in budgeted expenditure.
Is the money available ?
What impact does it have on other plans the club may have had and next seasons budget etc etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 53
lew chaterleys lover
October 25, 2023, 9:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,731
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from HerveJosse
One factor that is unspoken on here but presumambly is part of the owners decision making process at least in private is the cost of removing and replacing the manager and some at least of his back up team. I believe it’s been reported Hurst is on an 18months rolling contract. We can only guess what the others contract arrangements are. Then there are recruitment costs. Total cost guess £300k plus.. Anybody any better guesses?
Then there are the new players who a new manager will want and are in budgeted and the cost of disposing of those trey don’t want.
Is the money available ?
What impact does it have on other plans the club may have had and next seasons budget etc etc

Every club changes the manager so if we don't because of budget restrictions then it will be beyond disappointing, if they feel that would be the best thing to do.

I've always got the impression they felt confident in Hurst because being an experienced manager they could just leave all the playing stuff in his competent hands whilst they got on with other things.

I'm not sure what else they have been working on but the playing side, the coaching and manager is obviously the number one priority.

Floating/new fans will only remain on board if they can see progress on the field regardless of anything else.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 53
ska face
October 25, 2023, 9:04am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,664
Gold Stars: 847
18-month rolling contract? You must be on fūcking crack. Who would ever hand out a contract where they’d have to pay up 18 months salary - to two employees - in the event the management needed sacking? That’s 3 years’ wages between the two.

What are these other recruitment costs? Advert on indeed.com & hire of a conference room for a day of interviews, maybe a tray of biscuits?

Granted they may end up having to have a chat with the bods at Insight 63, who helped with the initial takeover, but would be very surprised if that amounted to more than 5 figures.

Say you have to pay Hurst & Doig off, what’s that - £100k? If a new manager sticks 1000 on the gate 6 times in the remaining 15 home fixtures that pays for itself.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 53
HerveJosse
October 25, 2023, 9:09am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ska face
18-month rolling contract? You must be on fūcking crack. Who would ever hand out a contract where they’d have to pay up 18 months salary - to two employees - in the event the management needed sacking? That’s 3 years’ wages between the two.

What are these other recruitment costs? Advert on indeed.com & hire of a conference room for a day of interviews, maybe a tray of biscuits?

Granted they may end up having to have a chat with the bods at Insight 63, who helped with the initial takeover, but would be very surprised if that amounted to more than 5 figures.

Say you have to pay Hurst & Doig off, what’s that - £100k? If a new manager sticks 1000 on the gate 6 times in the remaining 15 home fixtures that pays for itself.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....contract-6309034.amp

No not crack just Jason and the Telewag
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 53
BraStrap
October 25, 2023, 9:20am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / -5
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 1
Twenty First Group was imposed upon Hurst but the next appointment will have them there from the outset and they'll be able to agree a data-based approach with suitable metrics and targets from the off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 53
jamesgtfc
October 25, 2023, 9:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,983
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from HerveJosse

I think it's just the final 12 months that are rolling, so it will cost us 12 months salary to get rid. I seem to recall that he signed "improved terms" in the summer but I assume the rolling aspect is still retained.

You can say bringing another manager in would be costly, but getting relegated again and not returning at the first time of asking would be far more costly. With a third of the season gone, I think it's safe to say that we currently find ourselves in a relegation scrap.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 53
GollyGTFC
October 25, 2023, 9:24am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,975
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from HerveJosse

Hurst and Doig signed new contacts in September 2022 so anything in that article is out of date.

Contract lengths are irrelevant anyway. There’s usually a maximum compensation clause these days. And possible performance related aspects to contractual compensation too.

I’m sure Jason & Andrew will treat Paul & Chris with respect and fairness if/when their contracts are terminated.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 27 - 53
lew chaterleys lover
October 25, 2023, 9:33am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from BraStrap
Twenty First Group was imposed upon Hurst but the next appointment will have them there from the outset and they'll be able to agree a data-based approach with suitable metrics and targets from the off.

Let's hope he has got some football management experience in amongst the metrics!
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 53
grimps
October 25, 2023, 9:37am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from HerveJosse
Then there are the new players who a new manager will want and are in budgeted and the cost of disposing of those trey don’t want.
Is the money available ?

Cheaper than relegation
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 53
pen penfras
October 25, 2023, 9:42am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I think it's just the final 12 months that are rolling, so it will cost us 12 months salary to get rid. I seem to recall that he signed "improved terms" in the summer but I assume the rolling aspect is still retained.

You can say bringing another manager in would be costly, but getting relegated again and not returning at the first time of asking would be far more costly. With a third of the season gone, I think it's safe to say that we currently find ourselves in a relegation scrap.

There are break clauses in contracts. It'll be something like 2 months pay.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 53
GrimPol
October 25, 2023, 10:05am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Teestogreen
I think these directors will continue to back the current management team - as they don’t fear relegation - as they know the fans will get behind the team on the next promotion attempt at League 2!?

The vast majority of fans (all) want the team to do well and the new management to succeed. No matter how 1878 conducted itself financially, fans looked at the table first. It's not good.
In business, it is said "Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity" Well in football a "new stadium/menu/kit/training facility is all vanity, points on the board is sanity"
PH leaving is just an adjustment, and GTFC will march on.  UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 53
male private Nale
October 25, 2023, 10:13am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Amen to this , this board seem beyond reproach in the eyes of many on here.

We have been served total shite at home since our return to league football, this in front of our largest intake of season ticket holders in a generation.

This board's silence speaks volumes and it appears from the outside looking in that they are rabbit in the headlights, let them prove me wrong and act decisively.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 53
diehardmariner
October 25, 2023, 10:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
Can we just nip it in the bud that 'scotch eggs' and every other thing that gets thrown at 1878 when we lose doesn't come exclusively in isolation.

It's entirely possible we can have nice things off the pitch and nice things on the pitch at the same time.  The decision wasn't made that we would get better catering but intercourse the football side of things off.  

If you want to dig 1878 out for not making a decision, fine.  But veiled suggestions that the decision isn't made because they've got misaligned priorities is just wrong.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 53
1mickylyons
October 25, 2023, 10:29am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Can we just nip it in the bud that 'scotch eggs' and every other thing that gets thrown at 1878 when we lose doesn't come exclusively in isolation.

It's entirely possible we can have nice things off the pitch and nice things on the pitch at the same time.  The decision wasn't made that we would get better catering but intercourse the football side of things off.  

If you want to dig 1878 out for not making a decision, fine.  But veiled suggestions that the decision isn't made because they've got misaligned priorities is just wrong.

I'm telling them to concentrate on the football cos it's shite
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 53
barralad
October 25, 2023, 10:34am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from diehardmariner

Especially as the food at Blundell Park is franchised out to local businesses who I suspect are very happy to have the business opportunities our owners provide them with in these difficult times.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 53
October 25, 2023, 10:36am
Guest User
Quoted from Simon

Not sure I can agree that the board need to 'grow a pair' - sacking the manager when results are poor and the fans have the knives out
is the easiest thing for them to do. Just reflect on how many managers have been sacked recently.

IMO it would require more "balls" from the board to decide they're going to stick with their chosen guy and show faith in him (to the
disgust of a majority of the fans).

The only other point I want to make is "we need to sack Hurst because we're heading for a relegation struggle if we don't" only appeals
if the new guy doesn't get us relegated. We might employ a new manager who gets us relegated.
The Hurst Out posts seem to assume we can guarantee L2 safety by appointing someone else. It ain't like that, though, is it?
Reply: 36 - 53
Mappers
October 25, 2023, 11:02am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from 137

Not sure I can agree that the board need to 'grow a pair' - sacking the manager when results are poor and the fans have the knives out
is the easiest thing for them to do. Just reflect on how many managers have been sacked recently.

IMO it would require more "balls" from the board to decide they're going to stick with their chosen guy and show faith in him (to the

The only other point I want to make is "we need to sack Hurst because we're heading for a relegation struggle if we don't" only appeals
if the new guy doesn't get us relegated. We might employ a new manager who gets us relegated.
The Hurst Out posts seem to assume we can guarantee L2 safety by appointing someone else. It ain't like that, though, is it?

Fair point - most boards clamour to the fans after a handful of defeats these days . But the way they have stuck by Hurst is either extremely ballsy or extremely foolish ; I suppose if they continue to do so time will tell which one - I expected an announcement already tbh , there not being one suggests he may well get Doncaster . If he does (I don't think he should btw) you would hope those around PH remind him of what has made him successful previously and how he's said at least 4 times in the past he dislikes 3-5-2 .  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 53
diehardmariner
October 25, 2023, 11:09am
Vodka Drinker
No doubt that changing manager isn't a guarantee of turning things around.

It has to be looked at objectively, the positives and negatives of whichever decision is decided upon.

But, again objectively, what is looking likely if we stick rather than twist?  Can you honestly say you think we're going to turn things around Hurst?  I'm out of belief that things will improve for us, I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel.  If I could, I would still be backing Hurst.

For me, I'm comfortable that we're not assured of improvement just by changing manager.  That's too easy.  It might mean we still struggle and indeed go down.  But I'll take that gamble of might and uncertainty because the alternative is only heading one way.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 53
Poojah
October 25, 2023, 11:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,605
Gold Stars: 1,503

Quoted from 137

I believe it was Macho Man Randy Savage who said “there’s one guarantee in life, that’s that there are no guarantees”. There’s risk in every decision we take in life; some are merely fraught with more jeopardy than others.

There are many case studies in football where changing the manager has had a huge positive impact, and others where it’s made no difference at all (or even made things worse). The best way to approach situations like this, and I believe the approach the owners will take, is to take a step back, put emotions to one side, and work through a series of logical questions.

1) What issues appear to be at the heart of our poor performance?

a) insufficient budget?
b) insufficient supporting infrastructure?
c) lack of player calibre in squad?
d) lack of depth in squad?
e) ineffective tactics and systems?
f) lack of player motivation?
g) squad disharmony?

2) What is the probability that the incumbent manager will soon bring about a significant turnaround in form, considering:

a) current trajectory of form
b) current trajectory of performances
c) the manager’s historic performance

3) What are the short-term financial implications of changing the manager (paying up contracts etc.), versus retaining him (impacts on gates etc.)?

4) Is there cause for sufficient confidence that we can attract a manager of appropriate calibre at this moment in time (on a smaller scale, replacing Max Crocombe with a better goalkeeper has been more difficult than anticipated)?

5) If we relieve the manager of his duties, what options do we have to replace him, and what evidence is there that each given shortlisted candidate will sufficiently address the issues identified in question 1?

Stockwood has previously spoken of succession planning, but that was very much based on the notion of other clubs coming in for Hurst, not us having to remove him. That we find ourselves facing this dilemma has caught most of us off guard, as it will the board too, I am sure. The context is very different, and our reversion to “struggling Grimsby” is a much more difficult sell than the “revitalised and resurgent Grimsby” image we had seemingly restored back in May.

Personally, when I work through these questions in a calm and considered manner, I reach the same conclusion that I reached in the heat of the moment last night: that a change is necessary. However, Jason, Andrew and Debbie will have much greater insight as to the answers to questions 4 and 5 and what the general perception of the club is currently like within the game.

No guarantees whatever we do, but not acting at this time is an even bigger call than acting, imo.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 53
diehardmariner
October 25, 2023, 11:17am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I believe it was Macho Man Randy Savage who said “there’s one guarantee in life, that’s that there are no guarantees”.

He also believed he could rap too.  Trust me, he couldn't.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 53
1mickylyons
October 25, 2023, 11:17am
Special Brew Drinker
I'm still not sure why some think Hurst is the man to dig us out of a relegation battle when he failed last time? The EFL is too much for him. that much is clear.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 53
Mappers
October 25, 2023, 12:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

I believe it was Macho Man Randy Savage who said “there’s one guarantee in life, that’s that there are no guarantees”. There’s risk in every decision we take in life; some are merely fraught with more jeopardy than others.

There are many case studies in football where changing the manager has had a huge positive impact, and others where it’s made no difference at all (or even made things worse). The best way to approach situations like this, and I believe the approach the owners will take, is to take a step back, put emotions to one side, and work through a series of logical questions.

a) insufficient budget?
g) squad disharmony?

2) What is the probability that the incumbent manager will soon bring about a significant turnaround in form, considering:

3) What are the short-term financial implications of changing the manager (paying up contracts etc.), versus retaining him (impacts on gates etc.)?

4) Is there cause for sufficient confidence that we can attract a manager of appropriate calibre at this moment in time (on a smaller scale, replacing Max Crocombe with a better goalkeeper has been more difficult than anticipated)?

5) If we relieve the manager of his duties, what options do we have to replace him, and what evidence is there that each given shortlisted candidate will sufficiently address the issues identified in question 1?

Stockwood has previously spoken of succession planning, but that was very much based on the notion of other clubs coming in for Hurst, not us having to remove him. That we find ourselves facing this dilemma has caught most of us off guard, as it will the board too, I am sure. The context is very different, and our reversion to “struggling Grimsby” is a much more difficult sell than the “revitalised and resurgent Grimsby” image we had seemingly restored back in May.

Personally, when I work through these questions in a calm and considered manner, I reach the same conclusion that I reached in the heat of the moment last night: that a change is necessary. However, Jason, Andrew and Debbie will have much greater insight as to the answers to questions 4 and 5 and what the general perception of the club is currently like within the game.

No guarantees whatever we do, but not acting at this time is an even bigger call than acting, imo.

4/5) It's difficult to know what the criteria for a new manager is : Short term fix (stay up at all costs) move on . Or someone that fits within their long term vision - I'm not sure it's viable for a manager to stay at a club long term these days , I mean Hurst has done well as maybe 3 years (12th longest serving manager or something like that) is classed as long term ? In that most clubs seem to turn managers over every 6 months to a year, 2 if they are lucky .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 53
lew chaterleys lover
October 25, 2023, 12:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

4/5) It's difficult to know what the criteria for a new manager is : Short term fix (stay up at all costs) move on . Or someone that fits within their long term vision - I'm not sure it's viable for a manager to stay at a club long term these days , I mean Hurst has done well as maybe 3 years (12th longest serving manager or something like that) is classed as long term ? In that most clubs seem to turn managers over every 6 months to a year, 2 if they are lucky .

If there is a vacancy we need to get the best football man in that we can afford, not whether he attaches any significance to "our values."

B Corp is something the chairman believes in,  which aligns with his political views but most prospective managers will never have heard of it nor want to so as long as he ticks the football boxes and is highly regarded in the game and is happy to come then leave it at that. Invariably it is a shortish term anyway as you point out.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 53
Croxton
October 25, 2023, 12:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,017
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Poojah

a) insufficient budget?
g) squad disharmony?

A stonefaced Pettit, just a few seats to my left last night seemed as disbelieving as the rest of us.
Your analysis is positively Shakespearian.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/303784-there-is-a-tide-in-the-affairs-of-men-which[b][/b]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 53
arryarryarry
October 25, 2023, 1:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,036
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Hurst and Doig signed new contacts in September 2022 so anything in that article is out of date.

Contract lengths are irrelevant anyway. There’s usually a maximum compensation clause these days. And possible performance related aspects to contractual compensation too.

I’m sure Jason & Andrew will treat Paul & Chris with respect and fairness if/when their contracts are terminated.

Paul Hurst and any other of the player management team should be treated the same as all the other loyal staff that have been got rid of.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 53
DB
October 25, 2023, 1:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,026
Gold Stars: 388
Quoted from HerveJosse
Then there are the new players who a new manager will want and are unbudgeted and the cost of disposing of those trey don’t want.
Is the money available ?

The board should take a look at Hurst's league record, P 15 and won 3 and 1 against a better Barrow side. The home displays, Gillingham apart, have been dire and we are looking at relegation in the face. 1/3 of the games have gone and we need some stability pretty dam quick. The above costs are petty and trivial when compared to a drop back into the NL. ST's will fall and the club will be left with players still having 2 years left on there contracts with decreased gates.

The time for them to act is now.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 53
Mappers
October 25, 2023, 2:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Croxton

A stonefaced Pettit, just a few seats to my left last night seemed as disbelieving as the rest of us.
Your analysis is positively Shakespearian.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/303784-there-is-a-tide-in-the-affairs-of-men-which[b][/b]

Probably wishing he had continued the family business instead .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 53
Limerick Mariner
October 25, 2023, 3:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Quoted from Mappers

He might be thinking of going back - in these days of staff shortages he might have identified a few suitable candidates for employment on the pitch over the last few weeks…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 53
HerveJosse
October 25, 2023, 6:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from DB

The board should take a look at Hurst's league record, P 15 and won 3 and 1 against a better Barrow side. The home displays, Gillingham apart, have been dire and we are looking at relegation in the face. 1/3 of the games have gone and we need some stability pretty dam quick. The above costs are petty and trivial when compared to a drop back into the NL. ST's will fall and the club will be left with players still having 2 years left on there contracts with decreased gates.

The time for them to act is now.

It’s not a binary decision though is it sack him take the financial hit and stay up . There is also
1 sack him take the hit and go down anyway and start non league with an extra financial hole
2 Don’t sack him stay up and don’t take the financial hit.
Welcome to the real world of football club ownership
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 53
DB
October 25, 2023, 6:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,026
Gold Stars: 388
Quoted from HerveJosse

It’s not a binary decision though is it sack him take the financial hit and stay up . There is also
1 sack him take the hit and go down anyway and start non league with an extra financial hole
2 Don’t sack him stay up and don’t take the financial hit.
Welcome to the real world of football club ownership

Or do nothing leave him in situ and hope he pulls the club round!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 53
HerveJosse
October 25, 2023, 6:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from DB

Or do nothing leave him in situ and hope he pulls the club round!

Er that was 2
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 53
HerveJosse
October 25, 2023, 6:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

Sausages are probably a better bet then private equity commercial property now borrowing is no longer free and values have fallen 30-40 percent
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 53
toontown
October 25, 2023, 6:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,280
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Mappers

They have credit in the bank , much like Hurst had .

But that credit won't last forever and they have their first tough decision to make  ; I mean Hurst going by that interview is seemingly almost  begging to be removed  and realises it's not good enough ; so surely they must know likewise .

They had their first tough decision to make in their first season when we had that slump, they stuck with the manager and it paid off.

They've probably already had their second tough decision too when they have stuck with him so far this season when most would have sacked him, almost certainly after Accrington.

So far it's definitely not paid off. My total guess is they wanted to give him 3 more games until the fortnight long league break after the Donny game. He's already lost two and I think they now have to make another tough decision earlier than they wanted as the situation has deteriorated still further.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 53
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Paul hurst and the owners.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.