Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Paul hurst and the owners.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Paul hurst and the owners.

This thread currently has 6,453 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
pen penfras
October 25, 2023, 9:42am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I think it's just the final 12 months that are rolling, so it will cost us 12 months salary to get rid. I seem to recall that he signed "improved terms" in the summer but I assume the rolling aspect is still retained.

You can say bringing another manager in would be costly, but getting relegated again and not returning at the first time of asking would be far more costly. With a third of the season gone, I think it's safe to say that we currently find ourselves in a relegation scrap.

There are break clauses in contracts. It'll be something like 2 months pay.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 53
GrimPol
October 25, 2023, 10:05am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -669
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Teestogreen
I think these directors will continue to back the current management team - as they don’t fear relegation - as they know the fans will get behind the team on the next promotion attempt at League 2!?

The vast majority of fans (all) want the team to do well and the new management to succeed. No matter how 1878 conducted itself financially, fans looked at the table first. It's not good.
In business, it is said "Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity" Well in football a "new stadium/menu/kit/training facility is all vanity, points on the board is sanity"
PH leaving is just an adjustment, and GTFC will march on.  UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 53
male private Nale
October 25, 2023, 10:13am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Tell you Fenty would be getting slaughtered by the fans at this stage it got toxic under Slade and that wasn't with a budget like we've wasted on sub standard players and coaches.
B Corp,Scotch Eggs and Diversity hold no interest for me I just want to see a decent home game with some passion. Fans forum due soon hmmmmmm

Amen to this , this board seem beyond reproach in the eyes of many on here.

We have been served total shite at home since our return to league football, this in front of our largest intake of season ticket holders in a generation.

This board's silence speaks volumes and it appears from the outside looking in that they are rabbit in the headlights, let them prove me wrong and act decisively.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 53
diehardmariner
October 25, 2023, 10:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Can we just nip it in the bud that 'scotch eggs' and every other thing that gets thrown at 1878 when we lose doesn't come exclusively in isolation.

It's entirely possible we can have nice things off the pitch and nice things on the pitch at the same time.  The decision wasn't made that we would get better catering but intercourse the football side of things off.  

If you want to dig 1878 out for not making a decision, fine.  But veiled suggestions that the decision isn't made because they've got misaligned priorities is just wrong.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 53
1mickylyons
October 25, 2023, 10:29am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,385
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from diehardmariner
Can we just nip it in the bud that 'scotch eggs' and every other thing that gets thrown at 1878 when we lose doesn't come exclusively in isolation.

It's entirely possible we can have nice things off the pitch and nice things on the pitch at the same time.  The decision wasn't made that we would get better catering but intercourse the football side of things off.  

If you want to dig 1878 out for not making a decision, fine.  But veiled suggestions that the decision isn't made because they've got misaligned priorities is just wrong.

I'm telling them to concentrate on the football cos it's shite
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 53
barralad
October 25, 2023, 10:34am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from diehardmariner

Especially as the food at Blundell Park is franchised out to local businesses who I suspect are very happy to have the business opportunities our owners provide them with in these difficult times.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 53
October 25, 2023, 10:36am
Guest User
Quoted from Simon
I'm broken, don't know what to say i'm lost for words i just hope Jason & Andrew do the right thing, if this was business and a manager of a tech firm or real estate company was failing in the way Hurst is at the moment they would be out the door faster than he could say P45 so whats different here, why the silence, why the inaction from the directors

Come on guys, grow some balls and do the right thing

Not sure I can agree that the board need to 'grow a pair' - sacking the manager when results are poor and the fans have the knives out
is the easiest thing for them to do. Just reflect on how many managers have been sacked recently.

IMO it would require more "balls" from the board to decide they're going to stick with their chosen guy and show faith in him (to the
disgust of a majority of the fans).

The only other point I want to make is "we need to sack Hurst because we're heading for a relegation struggle if we don't" only appeals
if the new guy doesn't get us relegated. We might employ a new manager who gets us relegated.
The Hurst Out posts seem to assume we can guarantee L2 safety by appointing someone else. It ain't like that, though, is it?
Reply: 36 - 53
Mappers
October 25, 2023, 11:02am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from 137

Not sure I can agree that the board need to 'grow a pair' - sacking the manager when results are poor and the fans have the knives out
is the easiest thing for them to do. Just reflect on how many managers have been sacked recently.

IMO it would require more "balls" from the board to decide they're going to stick with their chosen guy and show faith in him (to the

The only other point I want to make is "we need to sack Hurst because we're heading for a relegation struggle if we don't" only appeals
if the new guy doesn't get us relegated. We might employ a new manager who gets us relegated.
The Hurst Out posts seem to assume we can guarantee L2 safety by appointing someone else. It ain't like that, though, is it?

Fair point - most boards clamour to the fans after a handful of defeats these days . But the way they have stuck by Hurst is either extremely ballsy or extremely foolish ; I suppose if they continue to do so time will tell which one - I expected an announcement already tbh , there not being one suggests he may well get Doncaster . If he does (I don't think he should btw) you would hope those around PH remind him of what has made him successful previously and how he's said at least 4 times in the past he dislikes 3-5-2 .  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 53
diehardmariner
October 25, 2023, 11:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
No doubt that changing manager isn't a guarantee of turning things around.

It has to be looked at objectively, the positives and negatives of whichever decision is decided upon.

But, again objectively, what is looking likely if we stick rather than twist?  Can you honestly say you think we're going to turn things around Hurst?  I'm out of belief that things will improve for us, I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel.  If I could, I would still be backing Hurst.

For me, I'm comfortable that we're not assured of improvement just by changing manager.  That's too easy.  It might mean we still struggle and indeed go down.  But I'll take that gamble of might and uncertainty because the alternative is only heading one way.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 53
Poojah
October 25, 2023, 11:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,539
Gold Stars: 1,500

Quoted from 137

I believe it was Macho Man Randy Savage who said “there’s one guarantee in life, that’s that there are no guarantees”. There’s risk in every decision we take in life; some are merely fraught with more jeopardy than others.

There are many case studies in football where changing the manager has had a huge positive impact, and others where it’s made no difference at all (or even made things worse). The best way to approach situations like this, and I believe the approach the owners will take, is to take a step back, put emotions to one side, and work through a series of logical questions.

1) What issues appear to be at the heart of our poor performance?

a) insufficient budget?
b) insufficient supporting infrastructure?
c) lack of player calibre in squad?
d) lack of depth in squad?
e) ineffective tactics and systems?
f) lack of player motivation?
g) squad disharmony?

2) What is the probability that the incumbent manager will soon bring about a significant turnaround in form, considering:

a) current trajectory of form
b) current trajectory of performances
c) the manager’s historic performance

3) What are the short-term financial implications of changing the manager (paying up contracts etc.), versus retaining him (impacts on gates etc.)?

4) Is there cause for sufficient confidence that we can attract a manager of appropriate calibre at this moment in time (on a smaller scale, replacing Max Crocombe with a better goalkeeper has been more difficult than anticipated)?

5) If we relieve the manager of his duties, what options do we have to replace him, and what evidence is there that each given shortlisted candidate will sufficiently address the issues identified in question 1?

Stockwood has previously spoken of succession planning, but that was very much based on the notion of other clubs coming in for Hurst, not us having to remove him. That we find ourselves facing this dilemma has caught most of us off guard, as it will the board too, I am sure. The context is very different, and our reversion to “struggling Grimsby” is a much more difficult sell than the “revitalised and resurgent Grimsby” image we had seemingly restored back in May.

Personally, when I work through these questions in a calm and considered manner, I reach the same conclusion that I reached in the heat of the moment last night: that a change is necessary. However, Jason, Andrew and Debbie will have much greater insight as to the answers to questions 4 and 5 and what the general perception of the club is currently like within the game.

No guarantees whatever we do, but not acting at this time is an even bigger call than acting, imo.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Paul hurst and the owners.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.