Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Paul hurst and the owners.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Paul hurst and the owners.

This thread currently has 6,454 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
October 25, 2023, 11:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,619
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Poojah

I believe it was Macho Man Randy Savage who said “there’s one guarantee in life, that’s that there are no guarantees”.

He also believed he could rap too.  Trust me, he couldn't.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 53
1mickylyons
October 25, 2023, 11:17am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
I'm still not sure why some think Hurst is the man to dig us out of a relegation battle when he failed last time? The EFL is too much for him. that much is clear.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 53
Mappers
October 25, 2023, 12:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,323
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Poojah

I believe it was Macho Man Randy Savage who said “there’s one guarantee in life, that’s that there are no guarantees”. There’s risk in every decision we take in life; some are merely fraught with more jeopardy than others.

There are many case studies in football where changing the manager has had a huge positive impact, and others where it’s made no difference at all (or even made things worse). The best way to approach situations like this, and I believe the approach the owners will take, is to take a step back, put emotions to one side, and work through a series of logical questions.

1) What issues appear to be at the heart of our poor performance?

a) insufficient budget?
b) insufficient supporting infrastructure?
c) lack of player calibre in squad?
d) lack of depth in squad?
e) ineffective tactics and systems?
f) lack of player motivation?
g) squad disharmony?

2) What is the probability that the incumbent manager will soon bring about a significant turnaround in form, considering:

a) current trajectory of form
b) current trajectory of performances
c) the manager’s historic performance

3) What are the short-term financial implications of changing the manager (paying up contracts etc.), versus retaining him (impacts on gates etc.)?

4) Is there cause for sufficient confidence that we can attract a manager of appropriate calibre at this moment in time (on a smaller scale, replacing Max Crocombe with a better goalkeeper has been more difficult than anticipated)?

5) If we relieve the manager of his duties, what options do we have to replace him, and what evidence is there that each given shortlisted candidate will sufficiently address the issues identified in question 1?

Stockwood has previously spoken of succession planning, but that was very much based on the notion of other clubs coming in for Hurst, not us having to remove him. That we find ourselves facing this dilemma has caught most of us off guard, as it will the board too, I am sure. The context is very different, and our reversion to “struggling Grimsby” is a much more difficult sell than the “revitalised and resurgent Grimsby” image we had seemingly restored back in May.

Personally, when I work through these questions in a calm and considered manner, I reach the same conclusion that I reached in the heat of the moment last night: that a change is necessary. However, Jason, Andrew and Debbie will have much greater insight as to the answers to questions 4 and 5 and what the general perception of the club is currently like within the game.

No guarantees whatever we do, but not acting at this time is an even bigger call than acting, imo.

4/5) It's difficult to know what the criteria for a new manager is : Short term fix (stay up at all costs) move on . Or someone that fits within their long term vision - I'm not sure it's viable for a manager to stay at a club long term these days , I mean Hurst has done well as maybe 3 years (12th longest serving manager or something like that) is classed as long term ? In that most clubs seem to turn managers over every 6 months to a year, 2 if they are lucky .

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 53
lew chaterleys lover
October 25, 2023, 12:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,713
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Mappers

4/5) It's difficult to know what the criteria for a new manager is : Short term fix (stay up at all costs) move on . Or someone that fits within their long term vision - I'm not sure it's viable for a manager to stay at a club long term these days , I mean Hurst has done well as maybe 3 years (12th longest serving manager or something like that) is classed as long term ? In that most clubs seem to turn managers over every 6 months to a year, 2 if they are lucky .

If there is a vacancy we need to get the best football man in that we can afford, not whether he attaches any significance to "our values."

B Corp is something the chairman believes in,  which aligns with his political views but most prospective managers will never have heard of it nor want to so as long as he ticks the football boxes and is highly regarded in the game and is happy to come then leave it at that. Invariably it is a shortish term anyway as you point out.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 53
Croxton
October 25, 2023, 12:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Poojah

I believe it was Macho Man Randy Savage who said “there’s one guarantee in life, that’s that there are no guarantees”. There’s risk in every decision we take in life; some are merely fraught with more jeopardy than others.

There are many case studies in football where changing the manager has had a huge positive impact, and others where it’s made no difference at all (or even made things worse). The best way to approach situations like this, and I believe the approach the owners will take, is to take a step back, put emotions to one side, and work through a series of logical questions.

1) What issues appear to be at the heart of our poor performance?

a) insufficient budget?
b) insufficient supporting infrastructure?
c) lack of player calibre in squad?
d) lack of depth in squad?
e) ineffective tactics and systems?
f) lack of player motivation?
g) squad disharmony?

2) What is the probability that the incumbent manager will soon bring about a significant turnaround in form, considering:

a) current trajectory of form
b) current trajectory of performances
c) the manager’s historic performance

3) What are the short-term financial implications of changing the manager (paying up contracts etc.), versus retaining him (impacts on gates etc.)?

4) Is there cause for sufficient confidence that we can attract a manager of appropriate calibre at this moment in time (on a smaller scale, replacing Max Crocombe with a better goalkeeper has been more difficult than anticipated)?

5) If we relieve the manager of his duties, what options do we have to replace him, and what evidence is there that each given shortlisted candidate will sufficiently address the issues identified in question 1?

Stockwood has previously spoken of succession planning, but that was very much based on the notion of other clubs coming in for Hurst, not us having to remove him. That we find ourselves facing this dilemma has caught most of us off guard, as it will the board too, I am sure. The context is very different, and our reversion to “struggling Grimsby” is a much more difficult sell than the “revitalised and resurgent Grimsby” image we had seemingly restored back in May.

Personally, when I work through these questions in a calm and considered manner, I reach the same conclusion that I reached in the heat of the moment last night: that a change is necessary. However, Jason, Andrew and Debbie will have much greater insight as to the answers to questions 4 and 5 and what the general perception of the club is currently like within the game.

No guarantees whatever we do, but not acting at this time is an even bigger call than acting, imo.

A stonefaced Pettit, just a few seats to my left last night seemed as disbelieving as the rest of us.
Your analysis is positively Shakespearian.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/303784-there-is-a-tide-in-the-affairs-of-men-which[b][/b]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 53
arryarryarry
October 25, 2023, 1:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,045
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Hurst and Doig signed new contacts in September 2022 so anything in that article is out of date.

Contract lengths are irrelevant anyway. There’s usually a maximum compensation clause these days. And possible performance related aspects to contractual compensation too.

I’m sure Jason & Andrew will treat Paul & Chris with respect and fairness if/when their contracts are terminated.

Paul Hurst and any other of the player management team should be treated the same as all the other loyal staff that have been got rid of.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 53
DB
October 25, 2023, 1:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from HerveJosse
One factor that is unspoken on here but presumambly is part of the owners decision making process at least in private is the cost of removing and replacing the manager and some at least of his back up team. I believe it’s been reported Hurst is on an 18months rolling contract. We can only guess what the others contract arrangements are. Then there are recruitment costs. Total cost guess £300k plus.. Anybody any better guesses?
Then there are the new players who a new manager will want and are unbudgeted and the cost of disposing of those trey don’t want.
Total must be £500k plus of in budgeted expenditure.
Is the money available ?
What impact does it have on other plans the club may have had and next seasons budget etc etc

The board should take a look at Hurst's league record, P 15 and won 3 and 1 against a better Barrow side. The home displays, Gillingham apart, have been dire and we are looking at relegation in the face. 1/3 of the games have gone and we need some stability pretty dam quick. The above costs are petty and trivial when compared to a drop back into the NL. ST's will fall and the club will be left with players still having 2 years left on there contracts with decreased gates.

The time for them to act is now.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 53
Mappers
October 25, 2023, 2:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,323
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Croxton

A stonefaced Pettit, just a few seats to my left last night seemed as disbelieving as the rest of us.
Your analysis is positively Shakespearian.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/303784-there-is-a-tide-in-the-affairs-of-men-which[b][/b]

Probably wishing he had continued the family business instead .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 53
Limerick Mariner
October 25, 2023, 3:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Mappers

Probably wishing he had continued the family business instead .

He might be thinking of going back - in these days of staff shortages he might have identified a few suitable candidates for employment on the pitch over the last few weeks…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 53
HerveJosse
October 25, 2023, 6:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from DB

The board should take a look at Hurst's league record, P 15 and won 3 and 1 against a better Barrow side. The home displays, Gillingham apart, have been dire and we are looking at relegation in the face. 1/3 of the games have gone and we need some stability pretty dam quick. The above costs are petty and trivial when compared to a drop back into the NL. ST's will fall and the club will be left with players still having 2 years left on there contracts with decreased gates.

The time for them to act is now.

It’s not a binary decision though is it sack him take the financial hit and stay up . There is also
1 sack him take the hit and go down anyway and start non league with an extra financial hole
2 Don’t sack him stay up and don’t take the financial hit.
Welcome to the real world of football club ownership
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Paul hurst and the owners.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.