1mickylyons
October 22, 2023, 12:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from heppy88
Even if we win on Tuesday why should Hurst be spared the chop? We’re not exactly setting the bar high are we? So some are saying as long as we beat a bottom of the EFL pyramid team, Hurst should be allowed to continue, receiving chance after chance after chance? I’ve even read on here that some are preparing for a loss on Tuesday and in the event of that he should still be given 2-3 further games. I’d love to get a psychologist to analyse this thread, as to why some seem incapable and unwilling to get rid of a manager, who has provided 3 wins in 14 league games, coupled with the most brain numbing performances your likely to see!

Totally agree  Why vast swathes of our fanbase seem happy to settle for at best league 2 mediocrity I'm at a loss?
We should at worst be yo-yoing between league 1&2 but at the minute we're light years away. UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 94
Mappers
October 22, 2023, 12:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,332
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Totally agree  Why vast swathes of our fanbase seem happy to settle for at best league 2 mediocrity I'm at a loss?
We should at worst be yo-yoing between league 1&2 but at the minute we're light years away. UTM

That's what we should be IMO aswell , but 20 years of decay and limited expectation have downgraded some's idea of success  ; yes there is a lot of money around the lower leagues but at least be a Rotherham , Wycombe , Burton or Lincoln rather than a Hartlepool , Rochdale or Scunthorpe .

I like Stockwood & Pettit as operators but I still think the jury is out in terms of their ambition and ability to run a
Fruitful football club ; let's face it they have never done it before , are either unwilling or can't invest heavily but came in when the bar was set that low it was impossible to do worse - they would have basically had to do a Mr David Hilton for that .

They are having their first big test of adversity now really , let's see what happens and hope it's just a bump in the road and not a roadblock.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 94
DB
October 22, 2023, 12:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,022
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from chaos33
The next half a dozen games are eminently winnable. We need a good points haul - at least 10 to get back on track and have something of a reset before Christmas. If we get to a point where 7th place is 15 points or more is the gap, then I think people will lose interest, which would be a massive waste of potential. The recent success of promotion and a decent consolidation season back in L2 rekindled spirits and recreated enthusiasm and investment in the supporters. If that is allowed to dissipate and regress into indifference and disinterest, then that’s a massive fuel leak, as it were. That ain’t good for any organisation.

I don’t expect promotion. I’m not sure anyone does, but you can’t claim you’re on a progression journey if you revert to being L2 strugglers. From a business point of view - you can’t afford to haemorrhage customers and revenue. This is what will be driving the owners. Progression means being in the top half and in touch, even if it’s only just.

I agree with what you posted, however, after Tuesday we will be 1 game off a third of the season. I'm hoping for a win, as usual, but fear the worst. Accrington and Crawley were described as winnable but the opposite happened. When looking at the performances against those 2 and Barrow, we were dire.

What we are not seeing this season is a positive attitude from the team, for whatever reason. No 'come back kids', team spirit, do or die and covering for teammates. Yes, they put in a performance but it is not what we are used to. Many seem to be going through the motions with hardly any effort. Donny, Morecambe, Forest Green and Sutton are the next games all of which we should win.

Colchester, Sutton and FG are all 6-pointers, so we have 18 points at stake in those 3 games alone. If we don't beat Colchester, then what of these games? A win on Tuesday or Hurst out and let's have a good chance of getting out of the relegation rat race.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 94
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 22, 2023, 12:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
When we returned to the league in 2016 I think we all sighed at the sense of relief thinking that would never happen again. Well of course it did but thankfully we returned immediately and we sighed again thinking this definitely wasn’t ever going to happen again with our new owners and safe hands in Hurst.

But once again that fear is starting to return and Forest Green will no doubt spend whatever it takes to get away from the danger zone and Colchester are perennial strugglers who just seem to do enough each season and only Sutton look like they may be down there for the duration.

Add to the fear of relegation the fact that since our latest return to the league the quality of football provided at BP has been pretty dire and despite neither Crawley or Accrington looking very good they left BP with all three points. Last season Crewe were dire but look transformed this season and I’m not aware of them spending any significant amount of cash but improvement seems beyond us and all we hear is what a strong league this is. Well other than Mansfield none of our visitors have looked particularly impressive so not sure I buy into that particular piece of rhetoric.

I used to really look forward to night matches at BP always used to be a great atmosphere and more often then not we used to win. Now it just seems a chore so much so that I won’t be bothering coming over on Tuesday but really hope I miss an absolute classic home win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 94
Captain Sensible
October 22, 2023, 1:28pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Can you please direct us to the vast swathes of posters stating their happiness at league 2 mediocrity?

I can't presume to speak for everybody, but I believe that most of those who are not currently in panic mode, can see that the team is under performing at the moment, but also that we have had the toughest start to the season of all 24 clubs in this league.

Surely what's needed now is a period of calmness, see how the next half a dozen games go, and then let the decision makers take a rational decision.  There is still plenty of the season left.  Piling unnecessary pressure on right now isn't going to help, is it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 94
Eastendmariner
October 22, 2023, 3:07pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
just look at Sutton and Forest Green just won 3 the same as us sums it up we deserved a point yesterday we need to turn the nearly games into wins UTM

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 94
1mickylyons
October 22, 2023, 5:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Captain Sensible

Can you please direct us to the vast swathes of posters stating their happiness at league 2 mediocrity?

I can't presume to speak for everybody, but I believe that most of those who are not currently in panic mode, can see that the team is under performing at the moment, but also that we have had the toughest start to the season of all 24 clubs in this league.

Surely what's needed now is a period of calmness, see how the next half a dozen games go, and then let the decision makers take a rational decision.  There is still plenty of the season left.  Piling unnecessary pressure on right now isn't going to help, is it?

Why is our start hardest of the 24 teams based on what?
Before the season starred I expected a play off place or a good crack at it and I wasn't alone in that thinking. My logic had Town somewhere between 4th and 10th best .We're currently 20th and dropping like a stone. You are pleading patience some have agreed with you .I expect a Town win Tuesday but please don't come on here and say told you so because sure as night follows day we will lose more games we should win in next fes fixtures. Its poor its not good enough and 5 5k Season ticket holders deserve much better.Hurst Out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 94
sam gy
October 22, 2023, 6:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Should we? It’s been two whole decades since we last kicked a ball in league one.

And seven of those years were spent two division below it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 94
GrimRob
October 22, 2023, 6:30pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,416
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Our budget dictates where our "true" position should be. There are quite a few clubs with much bigger budgets than ours. Even in the National League we didn't have the biggest budget. Do we have a top 10 budget?

I want us to live within our means rather than thinking we "belong" a division higher than we actually do.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Online
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 38 - 94
Captain Sensible
October 22, 2023, 6:42pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Why is our start hardest of the 24 teams based on what?
Before the season starred I expected a play off place or a good crack at it and I wasn't alone in that thinking. My logic had Town somewhere between 4th and 10th best .We're currently 20th and dropping like a stone. You are pleading patience some have agreed with you .I expect a Town win Tuesday but please don't come on here and say told you so because sure as night follows day we will lose more games we should win in next fes fixtures. Its poor its not good enough and 5 5k Season ticket holders deserve much better.Hurst Out

It's very simple really.  No team has played more of the top teams than us, and no team has played fewer of the bottom teams than us - just one.  We have a decent haul of points against mid-table teams at nearly 2 per game.

Sorry if that doesn't support your narrative.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Colchester at home Tuesday

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.