chaos33
October 21, 2023, 8:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Plankton

It's a sad state of affairs that we're trying to not look like a team that's going down when I suspect the majority of us wanted to kick on with an attempt at going up, much like Lincoln city. Perhaps I'm just really naive but I'm so bloody disappointed in how things have gone since the promotion.

I reckon this ‘nutshells’ the overwhelming emotion of the many 😐

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 94
jimgtfc
October 21, 2023, 8:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,090
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Plankton

It's a sad state of affairs that we're trying to not look like a team that's going down when I suspect the majority of us wanted to kick on with an attempt at going up, much like Lincoln city. Perhaps I'm just really naive but I'm so bloody disappointed in how things have gone since the promotion.

In all fairness, it’s very rare you see teams going straight through like Lincoln did anymore, unless they’re spending big bucks, an unrealistic aim in my opinion. Let’s not forget last season was one of our most successful in the last few decades with a decent top half finish and an FA Cup quarter final. I get that everything is disappointing at the minute and something needs to change but it’s not all been doom and gloom has it?

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 94
Northbank Mariner
October 21, 2023, 9:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from jimgtfc

In all fairness, it’s very rare you see teams going straight through like Lincoln did anymore, unless they’re spending big bucks, an unrealistic aim in my opinion. Let’s not forget last season was one of our most successful in the last few decades with a decent top half finish and an FA Cup quarter final. I get that everything is disappointing at the minute and something needs to change but it’s not all been doom and gloom has it?

Ermmmm....Notts County and Wrexham looking they'll do it this season,  whilst I agree they've spent big bucks, they've also capitalised on the momentum, something we failed to do, mainly due to a poor run of 13 games with 2 wins in there which took the wind out of our sails.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 94
forza ivano
October 22, 2023, 12:26am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,204
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from jimgtfc

errrm 3 wins in 18 games, plus 4 points off relegation, with the biggest budget in years n FA Cup quarter finalists last year, After today's sporting disaster overall, its looking very much like doom n gloom to me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 94
Maringer
October 22, 2023, 10:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,542
Gold Stars: 185
I don't see the point in going on about 18 games when none of us give a crap about three of them.

As proximity to relegation is the concern, it's 3 wins in 14 (which obviously isn't good) which is the relevant number.

Also relevant is the fact that we're only just over a quarter of the way into the league season. We've currently got 40% more points than the three teams directly below us in the table. Which is a bullshit stat, but then so is saying we're only 4 points off relegation.

Sounds as though we showed a bit more fight yesterday but that defending certainly needs to improve...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 94
lew chaterleys lover
October 22, 2023, 10:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Win or not on Tuesday the axe will fall unless there is a dramatic upturn in both results and performances in the next two or three games.

It might sound harsh but what other conclusion can you draw?

Hovering just above the trapdoor would be a disaster if the few teams below us find form or spend big in January.

There is certainly no room for sentiment.

If we do have an upturn in form enough to get us to lower mid table say by Christmas then I would think they would give Hurst what he needs in the window to try to correct some things.

Lose on Tuesday,  or even a bore draw and I think they will act.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 94
denni266
October 22, 2023, 10:58am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
lets face it,   After what he got us in the summer window would you trust him with another wad of cash to spend ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 94
IlkleyMariner
October 22, 2023, 11:00am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
I think we will win on Tuesday but if not I fear the worse for PH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 94
heppy88
October 22, 2023, 11:57am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Even if we win on Tuesday why should Hurst be spared the chop? We’re not exactly setting the bar high are we? So some are saying as long as we beat a bottom of the EFL pyramid team, Hurst should be allowed to continue, receiving chance after chance after chance? I’ve even read on here that some are preparing for a loss on Tuesday and in the event of that he should still be given 2-3 further games. I’d love to get a psychologist to analyse this thread, as to why some seem incapable and unwilling to get rid of a manager, who has provided 3 wins in 14 league games, coupled with the most brain numbing performances your likely to see!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 94
chaos33
October 22, 2023, 12:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
The next half a dozen games are eminently winnable. We need a good points haul - at least 10 to get back on track and have something of a reset before Christmas. If we get to a point where 7th place is 15 points or more is the gap, then I think people will lose interest, which would be a massive waste of potential. The recent success of promotion and a decent consolidation season back in L2 rekindled spirits and recreated enthusiasm and investment in the supporters. If that is allowed to dissipate and regress into indifference and disinterest, then that’s a massive fuel leak, as it were. That ain’t good for any organisation.

I don’t expect promotion. I’m not sure anyone does, but you can’t claim you’re on a progression journey if you revert to being L2 strugglers. From a business point of view - you can’t afford to haemorrhage customers and revenue. This is what will be driving the owners. Progression means being in the top half and in touch, even if it’s only just.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Colchester at home Tuesday

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.