HerveJosse
October 17, 2023, 1:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from GrimPol

Well, that's a turnaround. A few posts back you didn't want to admit there was a problem. Now you admit there is a problem, but let's not discuss it.
Can you inform us at what point you would radio in and Inform Houston that you indeed Have a Problem?

I think in Ginnys case it would be
A  Blundell Park has been destroyed by a sunsami
B  We have just been relegated to the Northern Counties East Division 2
C The Fishy restricts poster who say the same thing constantly to 1000 words a day

Or perhaps it might require at least 2 out of 3
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 60
DB
October 17, 2023, 3:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,004
Gold Stars: 386
Having read the above posts we should remember that JS did say that Hurst is responsible for ALL football matters at the club and has sole responsibility for this. He has recruited the backroom staff, he decides what responsibilities the backroom staff have on match days.

He decides which new players he wants and those he doesn't want anymore. He decides which positions on the pitch need bolstering. He decides who plays, who will be the subs and those who can sit in the stand. He decides the tactics for each game ( same as last week or something different ) and, I hope, puts them into place at the training ground.

At the end of each and every game one man is responsible for Town's performance and that is Paul Hurst. For whatever reason, Gillingham apart, we have failed miserably to perform on the pitch, especially at home this season. Lessons should have been learnt but have not.

Some say give him more time but he has had 13 league games, fancy cup games, preseason and a 'bonding' session in Spain. We haven't gelled in all this time so will another few weeks make a difference? What has happened to the team spirit we have been used to seeing, the comeback kids? It's all gone missing

What is the most concerning for me is that we dropping like a stone, at the moment, and I don't want us in a relegation battle. I think Paul has been an exceptional manager for the club, but that is in the passed. Times change, football changes and we have to move on. As much as I like him it's the club you have to think about and, sorry, he has to go.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 60
MuddyWaters
October 17, 2023, 4:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from DB
Having read the above posts we should remember that JS did say that Hurst is responsible for ALL football matters at the club and has sole responsibility for this. He has recruited the backroom staff, he decides what responsibilities the backroom staff have on match days.

He decides which new players he wants and those he doesn't want anymore. He decides which positions on the pitch need bolstering. He decides who plays, who will be the subs and those who can sit in the stand. He decides the tactics for each game ( same as last week or something different ) and, I hope, puts them into place at the training ground.

At the end of each and every game one man is responsible for Town's performance and that is Paul Hurst. For whatever reason, Gillingham apart, we have failed miserably to perform on the pitch, especially at home this season. Lessons should have been learnt but have not.

Some say give him more time but he has had 13 league games, fancy cup games, preseason and a 'bonding' session in Spain. We haven't gelled in all this time so will another few weeks make a difference? What has happened to the team spirit we have been used to seeing, the comeback kids? It's all gone missing

What is the most concerning for me is that we dropping like a stone, at the moment, and I don't want us in a relegation battle. I think Paul has been an exceptional manager for the club, but that is in the passed. Times change, football changes and we have to move on. As much as I like him it's the club you have to think about and, sorry, he has to go.

Same as me. Excellent post.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 60
Sandford1981
October 17, 2023, 4:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from ginnywings
Maybe Croudson has the loudest voice.

It's Tuesday, and some are still trying to desperately figure out if they have the answer. Can they have put their finger on the conundrum of our poor performances, and somehow it hasn't occurred to a team of ex professional footballers, coaches, analysts and the manager. Have a day off people.

We have no style of play, we have no set pattern, we only have one up front, the manager has lost the dressing room, the coaches are all defenders, the board are spineless, and on and on it goes.

I see a team playing with no confidence at the moment, having failed to win or draw several games they should have and it's down to people that we employ to sort it out; namely the manager, the coaches and the players.

Let the manager manage, let the coaches coach, let the players play, and if it doesn't sufficiently improve, then the board have a decision to make at some point.

Stop beating yourselves up trying desperately to explain the inexplicable, because there is nothing you can think of that wouldn't have already crossed the minds of those whose job it is to steer the ship, and they stand or fall by those decisions. It's not our job to try and figure it out.

Thank Christ for a sense of perspective, reasoned argument and logic.
The amount of repetitive, cry arsing and pant wetting on here from fully grown man babies is insufferable.

Of course I get people are passionate about whatever camp they’re in but we’ve got several threads all around the same or similar things with the same people expressing the same views on each, like they’re offering a new perspective and that people haven’t read their previous posts.

Anyone who thinks Hurst should stay are accused of being a ‘Happy Clapper’ who is satisfied with mediocrity despite stating otherwise. It’s like people ignore what is actually written in order to replay the scripted argument they’re having in their own heads.

Of course it goes the other way too, there are people expressing genuine concerns about our plight, no doubt being scarred by our past, that are labelled trigger happy hatchet men who lack respect and have short term memories.

It all just becomes attritional with each side just reiterating their points but more vociferously in something akin to two disagreeing drunks at pub kick out time.

I get its serious and people have differing views on what’s best but where has the sense of perspective and (gallows) humour gone?

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 60
Mike_67
October 17, 2023, 5:09pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +52
Gold Stars: 1
I’d give Paul Hurst more time for a simple reason. Out of all of the managers we’ve had during my time watching GTFC, he’s one of a very small number that have actually managed to bring us success in terms of promotion and he’s done it twice.
I don’t believe that he’s out of date in terms of football knowledge and the skills he possesses for football management have not disappeared so I don’t think a little more time is a lot to ask in order  to turn it round.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 60
October 17, 2023, 5:32pm
Guest User
Quoted from DB

Disagree, far too long left of the season and therefore many more points to play for.  I remember  a few seasons back, (memory is bad) we had a really bad run, but eventually came out of it and did ok.  I still have faith in PH.

Reply: 35 - 60
Limerick Mariner
October 17, 2023, 5:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
1878 will be well-versed in organisational succession planning, but certainly not expecting the need to implement on this timescale.

There will have been a clear the air meeting between staff and players and JS and PH will have spoken. Behind the scenes squad changes will be worked on. I have more faith in 1878’s judgement than probably any GTFC Board in my whole life as a fan. FFS my second experience of a new manager was near ridiculous appointment of Ron Ashman from Scunny (the first was rather better Lawrie Mac for Bobby Kennedy). We have only ever been successful with 2 consecutive managers - ie promotion with both, with John Newman and George Kerr, although also Booth did well after Kerr. After that the appointments after a successful manager have ranged from absolute disaster, starting with Ly*ns to the mediocre - Laws and Lawrence.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 60
Gaffer58
October 17, 2023, 5:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
People are saying that players cannot make simple 10 yard passes, miss hitting the goal from inside the 6 yard box, so is this the level of player in division 4, so therefore are we trying to play to intricately (Man City style) for the players we have. I’ve said it before that although Wrexham seem to be a kick and run style have they realised that’s what gets you out of this division.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 60
Limerick Mariner
October 17, 2023, 5:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Gaffer58
People are saying that players cannot make simple 10 yard passes, miss hitting the goal from inside the 6 yard box, so is this the level of player in division 4, so therefore are we trying to play to intricately (Man City style) for the players we have. I’ve said it before that although Wrexham seem to be a kick and run style have they realised that’s what gets you out of this division.

The current top 3 are very far from “kick and run”. I expect the current top to be there at the end of the season. They do also have bigger budgets than us. I think PH wanted us to be like Orient - very good shape, strong midfield and defence, and very effective at getting different players forward to share the goals around. We only have 80% of the squad needed to do that though.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 60
Azimuth
October 17, 2023, 6:09pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from aldi_01

Or May be, just May be, and I know it’s rare in football to think this, but May the players just aren’t doing their job. Missing from 4 yards, not clearing the ball, keepers that can’t catch cold…may be it’s partly their fault, yet none of the buffoons clamouring for the dismissal of the manager even once called out the excrement play, play being done by players…

The manager is responsible for the recruitment,motivation, tactics, team selection and training!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 60
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst In

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.