October 17, 2023, 4:10pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,641
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from Mappers

This 'true fan ' thing is as cringe as that 'everywhere we go ' song every club sing now .

I was talking to some town fans a while back, turned into a bit of a Spanish inquisition when asking if i've got a season ticket, or if i go to away games.  When I said i dont have a season ticket (cant afford it) and only away games have been wembley i was labelled an armchair fan.  I get it, but this shouldn't make me any less a fan than them but there you go.  

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 41
DB
October 17, 2023, 4:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,022
Gold Stars: 386
I haven't heard the podcast but from the above posts, it appears that there is a difference between a Real Fan and a True Fan. Then of course to add to that we have an ordinary Fan and not forgetting supporters who will champion Town all the time. Let us not forget those who through disability, location in this country and worldwide cheer on Town.

All I can say to sum the above is

WE'RE ALL TOWN AREN'T WE.

No one of us is better than the other, why? because WE ALL want what is best for Grimsby Town F. C.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 41
Yarborough Vaults
October 17, 2023, 6:19pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
Been through the thread and was going to make a comment about Mike but have seen he's already commented. Attending BP doesn't make you more of a fan, I listen to the podcast and he gives the best breakdown of tactics and players but freely admits he hardly ever gets to the game because of distance.

I get a better analysis of the game from Mike than my neighbours at BP who are usually six pints in and moaning about the ref constantly every game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 41
toontown
October 17, 2023, 6:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Yarborough Vaults
Been through the thread and was going to make a comment about Mike but have seen he's already commented. Attending BP doesn't make you more of a fan, I listen to the podcast and he gives the best breakdown of tactics and players but freely admits he hardly ever gets to the game because of distance.

I get a better analysis of the game from Mike than my neighbours at BP who are usually six pints in and moaning about the ref constantly every game.

Haha - yeah I agree!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 41
marinerjase
October 17, 2023, 6:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,655
Gold Stars: 147
No one is a bigger or better fan than anyone else..what a pointless ‘argument’..🤷‍♂️

Fact is you can have 90,000 fans at a game or 1,500…not one person will view the game exactly the same. There’ll be something at some point that’s seen differently. And that’s the beauty of it isn’t it?? We all have a view/opinion..rarely the same..hence the discussions..but there’s no right or wrong..or better view/opinion. And if someone does say something you don’t agree with - why take umbrage?? Particularly if it’s someone you don’t know..and if it is..well discuss/debate..or just disagree pleasantly. No need for any histrionics..

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 41
October 17, 2023, 7:03pm
Guest User
Again the thread has got lost over a debate about what constitutes a fan.

It's not about who is or isn't entitled to be classed as a fan.  

The thread keeps getting drawn away from its original intent.

I hope everybody can draw a line under it and move on.  In my opinion it was wrong to use the terminology used in the podcast, others may disagree.  

I hope there's no long term consequences.  It potentially puts Jason, Andrew, Debbie & co in a tricky position. They've been regular guests on DN35 but any future appearance might have to be considered.  After all their employees have been very publicly slated and it might not been seem to be the right thing to be seen supporting the podcast.  
The club has also put a lot of emphasis on putting a package together to attract talent to the club which isn't helped by a leading light in fan support saying what's been said.

I could be over egging the pudding a little but there's consequences to actions.

Reply: 35 - 41
Croxton
October 17, 2023, 7:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Ooo good for you. There’s many real fans who would love to be able to afford to spend that amount.

That was a particularly vulgar comment.

Dale has already answered your 'vulgar' charge with admirable restraint. Not met the guy but it's clear that his work on behalf of the club shows that his commitment is extensive and long lasting. Spending that amount can't be explained by buying a plush box with ensuite gold plated toilet and prawn sandwiches at half time. But I have seen him in The Upper. Based on that, and no other info about his family, I had a go at getting close to his £2760 ticket spend.

I have assumed that he manages his finances carefully and takes advantage of the 'Early Bird' offer. At 2023-2024 Season Ticket prices he could have bought...

Adults  x 4      @  375    = £1500
18-22 yrs x2   @  225    = £  450
Junior x 4       @  100    = £  400
  65+  x2         @  250    = £  500

Total                                 £ 2850       =  12 ST's

A bit more than his stated £2760 but I have allowed for some 1878 Club or Mariners Trust discount to bring it very close.

How can sharing his disposable income with 10/11 other family members be 'vulgar' ?  That's a word I might use to describe the conduct of more than a few away so called fans spaffing money on beer, coke, pyros and train fares.....then pissing in the sink at half time.

Or even Marcus Rashford owning three Rolls Royces?  choose you own reference point according to personal prejudice.

Well done Dale. If you can afford it, enjoy your family while you can.  I also sit in The Upper,  alone.  I'm grateful to the cheery 92 year old next to me for putting up with my expert commentary.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 41
Northbank Mariner
October 17, 2023, 9:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,474
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from 141269
Again the thread has got lost over a debate about what constitutes a fan.

It's not about who is or isn't entitled to be classed as a fan.  

The thread keeps getting drawn away from its original intent.

I hope everybody can draw a line under it and move on.  In my opinion it was wrong to use the terminology used in the podcast, others may disagree.  

I hope there's no long term consequences.  It potentially puts Jason, Andrew, Debbie & co in a tricky position. They've been regular guests on DN35 but any future appearance might have to be considered.  After all their employees have been very publicly slated and it might not been seem to be the right thing to be seen supporting the podcast.  
The club has also put a lot of emphasis on putting a package together to attract talent to the club which isn't helped by a leading light in fan support saying what's been said.

I could be over egging the pudding a little but there's consequences to actions.

What's with the agenda pal?...get off your high horse about the podcast, there's really no need, its just 4 blokes having an opinion about GTFC, why have you got such a beef with them?...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 41
October 17, 2023, 9:26pm
Guest User
No beef, no high horse, just calling out what I perceive as poor behaviour.

I'd rather this not get turned back onto me, that doesn't encourage others to speak out.

As I've said I'm an avid listener & have donated to some of the causes they've supported.  

Yes it's 4 blokes sharing their opinion but it's done in public and their voices have weight to them.
Reply: 38 - 41
Northbank Mariner
October 17, 2023, 9:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,474
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from 141269
No beef, no high horse, just calling out what I perceive as poor behaviour.

I'd rather this not get turned back onto me, that doesn't encourage others to speak out.

As I've said I'm an avid listener & have donated to some of the causes they've supported.  

Yes it's 4 blokes sharing their opinion but it's done in public and their voices have weight to them.

Have you seen some of the nonsense written on the official GTFC twitter account, the Facebook pages??...my god, what Alex, Mike, Sam and Bruce say on the pod is very mild compared to the other social media platforms, and their voices carry no weight, if you think that I'd grow a thicker skin pal.

And of course I'm going to turn it back on you, you highlighted it and started the thread!!..
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › DN35 Podcast

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.