MuddyWaters
October 17, 2023, 7:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,262
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from DaleH
Maybe there’s a difference between being a fan and being a supporter.

Sometimes I feel that a fan is exactly what he/she is supposed to be. Someone that is fanatical about a team, even though they are limited in their ability to attend games regularly. Perhaps an occasional supporter, who can’t now be a regular because of limited funds, work patterns or living too far away.

Whereas a supporter is someone who regularly attends games, spending not insignificant amounts of money to support their team whilst also being a fan.

I don’t think we should differentiate between those though in terms of their entitlement to an opinion.
The DN35 panel on my eyes, consists of fans and supporters. Their views are equally interesting to listen to on occasions.

Best wishes
Dale
Spender of £2760 per annum on home game tickets each season, and therefore both a fan and a supporter.

Ooo good for you. There’s many real fans who would love to be able to afford to spend that amount.

That was a particularly vulgar comment.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 41
DaleH
October 17, 2023, 7:47am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +816
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Ooo good for you. There’s many real fans who would love to be able to afford to spend that amount.

That was a particularly vulgar comment.

No it wasn’t vulgar at all. Quite the opposite infact. Like many I spend thousands of pounds every season to support our football club. The point demonstrates that members of my family that attend games at great expense, are no more entitled to have an opinion than those who for whatever reason are not able to attend. And the point was also in relevance and context of the original post about the DN35 Podcast.

I am sure that Alex spent many years and many pounds on supporting Town at Blundell Park, before his life and his livelihood took him away to live elsewhere. An elsewhere that no longer enables him to attend home games with the frequency with which he would like. So, the club is now supported financially by Alex today, a lot less than it was previously. But his love for the club as a fan is now no less than it was when he lived in the area and attended more games. And so he is no less entitled to have an opinion. Ask yourselves how many armchair fans of big Premier League clubs that hardly if ever, go to see them play at their home grounds? Ask yourself how often our new owners were able to attend home games prior to buying the club, because they now no longer live in the area? That didn't make them any less of a fan. We should all be grateful for our fan base, no matter where they are located and no matter of how frequently they are at Blundell Park putting cash in the tills.

Time to resurrect my Fishy signature again. So here goes.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 41
Gainsbro_Mariner
October 17, 2023, 8:34am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,454
Gold Stars: 14
If you support Town, then you are a fan plain and simple in my eyes.

It doesn't matter how many times you visit Blundell Park, whether you live in Grimsby or another country, if you have chosen Town as your team that's good enough for me.

I rarely go these day for varying reasons although I was there on Saturday and I will be at Donny, I used to have a season ticket back in the Division 1 days but I am lucky if I make more than 7 or 8 games a year now. Not ideal, but that's life and it doesn't stop me watching on iPlayer or at the very least following the score and text commentary.

Lets face it a club like ours, there aren't all that many of us, so I don't agree with chewing people out because they aren't as active as you.

All opinions are valid, everyone is entitled whether you agree with that man or you think he's talking tosh, that's the beauty of it, you don't have to agree with it.

DN35 is a good listen, and again as pointed out if you don't agree with what is being said, have a debate, put your point across to them.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 41
GollyGTFC
October 17, 2023, 8:48am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,973
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from ska face

oooh somebody fetch the medal!

Be a long week this if we’re making a distinction between fans & supporters before breakfast on Tuesday. Roll on the weekend ffs.

I went to every single match home and away of the disastrous 2003/04 season and didn’t leave a single game early.

This included…
Hartlepool 8-1 Grimsby
Oldham 6-0 Grimsby
Port Vale 5-1 Grimsby
Wycombe 4-1 Grimsby
Brighton 3-0 Grimsby
Wrexham 3-0 Grimsby
Q.P.R. 3-0 Grimsby
Rushden & Diamonds 3-1 Grimsby
Notts County 3-1 Grimsby

So clearly I’m the truest fan out of the lot of you. Narrowly ahead of GranthamMariner who only missed the Peterborough away match in the FA Cup that season.

On a more serious note, we’re all fans whether you go to every game or have to pick and choose.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 41
Mappers
October 17, 2023, 8:53am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,340
Gold Stars: 119
I'm not commenting much atm as it seems we are going around in circles on here a bit , it is heading towards toxic levels towards Hurst by some I think and I'm not sure for a higher number now it is even salvagable at this point is it ?

I'm still quite confused as to how this situation has come about tbh going from a team that in the main that we all knew what we would get week in week out , to looking the ultimate contradiction to that ; players have always been recruited with good character as one of ,if not the most important characteristic been just that . Maybe it's harsh to purely say on the whole we have less about us in this way ; maybe it's down to lack of confidence or/and the combination of the players being wrong ; I'm just not sure .

But some are now looking like players who have a recent relegation on their CV and that's probably our biggest worry - if they completely 'go' we could be in some mess .

I can't see Stockwood & Pettit getting rid of Hurst unless we lose say the next 3 and then his position would be untenable really .

The sad thing is now even though I have always been a big Hurst fan I have completely gone in my support of him , grind out a few results and it still won't be entertaining football at home will it ; and I'm at the point were my feelings are it's just drawing out the process for months or even years , with us probably not going anywhere fast .

I would (and I don't like to say it ) rather see us get pumped 3 or 4 games in a row so there isn't a route out of the decision .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 41
aldi_01
October 17, 2023, 9:03am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I went to every single match home and away of the disastrous 2003/04 season and didn’t leave a single game early.

This included…
Hartlepool 8-1 Grimsby
Oldham 6-0 Grimsby
Port Vale 5-1 Grimsby
Wycombe 4-1 Grimsby
Brighton 3-0 Grimsby
Wrexham 3-0 Grimsby
Q.P.R. 3-0 Grimsby
Notts County 3-1 Grimsby

So clearly I’m the truest fan out of the lot of you. Narrowly ahead of GranthamMariner who only missed the Peterborough away match in the FA Cup that season.

On a more serious note, we’re all fans whether you go to every game or have to pick and choose.

Those results…Wowzers. flipping hell, this lot moaning don’t know they’re born…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 41
GrimPol
October 17, 2023, 9:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from diehardmariner
Where's this true/real fans thing crept in from?

Pretty sure it's a relatively new thing.  First of all it was the 'well you don't go to games so you can't have an opinion' angle and then over the weekend it seems to be that you're not a real or true fan if you've got a critical opinion.  Same with this Happy Clapper thing.  Why are we so obsessed with creating a divide?

We're all bloody true fans, last time I checked I was real too.  The majority of us support the club we were born near and/or were unfortunate enough to be dragged to a game by a parent/other family member/neighbour who wanted to inflict a lifetime of pain on us as punishment for treading on their flowerbed.

There isn't one of us who looked at the league table and thought, hmmm Grimsby. Yeah, they look loaded and will win more games than not.  Bet I can get a duvet set for Xmas too from Argos.  You can't get more real than supporting a side that has spent far more of its history being utterly excrement than remotely decent.  

It doesn't matter on the opinion.  We're all entitled to it.  I think some people do cross the line with personal abuse and insults.  I don't like it but I think it's more because it's emotive than anything else, either way I'd prefer it didn't happen.  But it doesn't mean anyone dishing it out isn't a fan, surely because they are so emotive it's a reflection of how much they care.  

Equally so it doesn't matter how many games you watch or if you watch the bulk via iFollow, listening on Humberside, following text updates on Twitter...everyone has different circumstances.  It was only during the Covid season that I realised how hard it is to follow Town from, what effectively was, afar.  Without having that fortnightly trip to see the game in person, my interest really dwindled.  I wasn't alone in this either.  My Dad has been going for 60years + and whilst there's naturally less 'fun' in watching it on TV than in person I was really surprised how he would happily find an excuse to do something else than watch iFollow.  That was for one season.  How the hell people find the enthusiasm for Town when we're largely so disappointing and they don't get that physical connection with the club I'll never know.

We're all true fans.  Please, let's knock this idea on the head that some are better than others and therefore their views carry more weight.

Perhaps we should start a True Fan Test with grading stars (fishes). A 5 Fish True Fan, can stand in the Pontoon, in a T shirt only, in January showing off their tats with "Grimsby 'til I Die" in a heart. Drink a pint of Hot Bovril without gagging, and recite all the away stadiums in he/she visited in alphabetical order. To the OAP who started coming since he was a lad with his dad, and still thinks Bill Shankly is the manager because he's a bit confused. 1 Fish because he never bought from the Shop and still wears the scarf his Granny knitted for him all those years ago.
We should be ashamed to even discuss this. But put me down as Half a Fish Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 41
1mickylyons
October 17, 2023, 9:09am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from aldi_01

Those results…Wowzers. flipping hell, this lot moaning don’t know they’re born…

Ha but it was all Fentys fault back then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 41
Mappers
October 17, 2023, 9:44am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,340
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from GollyGTFC

This included…
Hartlepool 8-1 Grimsby
Oldham 6-0 Grimsby
Port Vale 5-1 Grimsby
Wycombe 4-1 Grimsby
Brighton 3-0 Grimsby
Wrexham 3-0 Grimsby
Q.P.R. 3-0 Grimsby
Notts County 3-1 Grimsby

I went to those first 2 - awful , I'm sure the Oldham game was free or something so a massive crowd in ?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 41
October 17, 2023, 10:30am
Guest User
All,

The ethos of my post has kind of been lost by what appears to be the inclusion of the word "true" in my original post and has now become more a debate over what a true fan is or isnt.  
I apologise to all who may have been offended or seen my post as being questioning of you.  It wasn't.  We are all fans and/or supporters

My original post was more about highlitghting what I perceived as poor behaviour.  We are told to call things out and there are multiple campaigns around such issues, even prior to kick off we are reminded of our responsibilites.  
That's what I did, call out bad behaviour in calling players "this as ****" or saying somebody (manager) is "talking ***"

Alex has kindly replied and opens trying to use humour which to me only makes the matter worse.  Yes I created an account because I felt compelled to highlight the behaviour in the hope others may agree that a line was crossed.  I could have done this one on one and maybe I should have but it would then be easy to delete my message and ignore it.

I don't believe that anything should be posted here that you wouldn't say to somebody's face and I doubt anybody would say those things to the manager of players directly.  
To say it was said collectively about the players doesn't make a difference, you are still talking to 11 players, less when you narrow it down to the point Alex made at the time.  
At the end of the day the players are doing their job.  How would it feel if an individual posted about you or your work colleagues saying you are as "thick as ****"

We are all entitled to an opinion.  Whilst I don't agree with the managers team selection or post match comments I can only be rational and say he know's better than me.  He's more qualified, knows the players, sees them on the training ground etc..  What he sees on the pitch differs from what I see.  
What I don't do is then vent in public.  It's unhealthy.  
The players read and hear things and at a time they are probably low on confidence don't need to be told they are as "thick as ****"

I'm a fan of DN35 and the lads and lasses do a great job 99% of the time but I'm afraid on this one occasion I felt the line was crossed.
Reply: 19 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › DN35 Podcast

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.