ska face
October 15, 2023, 10:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from 141269

Total double standards and not representative of true fans.

Don’t think they’d ever claim to be.

Whatever “true fans” are…
Private Message
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 16, 2023, 8:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,842
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from 141269
True fans for me is the majority here who pay their money week in week out to support a team that's embedded into their hearts.

They do this through thick and thin.

They might voice an opinion but do so devoid of making personal slurs on individuals.
I don't believe not performing to your full potential warrants being called "thick as excrement"

Unfortunately, I live over in Northern Ireland now and like many exiles, would love to watch town more but for differing circumstances (usually money) I for one cant. I’ve watched town up and town the country, been with 48 other fans in treacherous rain to watch a 0-0 at Hartlepool, travelled 150 miles  out of my way to go and watch the squad training at Warwick university (because it was sort of close!) been to as many matches as I possibly could when I lived in England and pulled ‘sickies’ like many others just to watch town play.

I don’t think it makes me any less of a ‘true fan’ just because I can’t go every week!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 41
Green27
October 16, 2023, 8:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +15 / -6
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from 141269
Regular listener and was actually dreading tonight's episode as it was always going to be a rant but.....

Back end of the episode Alex makes a big thing about being respectful about opinions towards people.

That's after he said the manager is "talking excrement" and said the "players are as thick as fornication"

Really disappointing.

I mean, firstly, massively flattered that you decided to create an account on the fishy just to complain about me.

You could always come and talk to me on Twitter or join, the show live rather than clogging up an unrelated board about it. The Podcast is excrement thread was a couple of months ago they don’t need another.

I do think you’ve got this wrong though. I wasn’t talking about respecting one another. I was talking about respecting Paul Hurst and if you think his time is up that can be done with a handshake a thanks for the memories and not questioning his abilities as a manager or worse.

I do think we’re playing pretty thick at the moment but I didn’t pick anyone out for that and did it as a collective. I don’t mind you disagreeing it’s all about opinions but don’t like being misrepresented.

Happy to have a chat on my Twitter or on the pod email but I won’t get involved in personal abuse with someone behind an anonymous account.

UTM

We do the DN35 Podcast
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 41
diehardmariner
October 16, 2023, 9:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Where's this true/real fans thing crept in from?

Pretty sure it's a relatively new thing.  First of all it was the 'well you don't go to games so you can't have an opinion' angle and then over the weekend it seems to be that you're not a real or true fan if you've got a critical opinion.  Same with this Happy Clapper thing.  Why are we so obsessed with creating a divide?

We're all bloody true fans, last time I checked I was real too.  The majority of us support the club we were born near and/or were unfortunate enough to be dragged to a game by a parent/other family member/neighbour who wanted to inflict a lifetime of pain on us as punishment for treading on their flowerbed.

There isn't one of us who looked at the league table and thought, hmmm Grimsby. Yeah, they look loaded and will win more games than not.  Bet I can get a duvet set for Xmas too from Argos.  You can't get more real than supporting a side that has spent far more of its history being utterly excrement than remotely decent.  

It doesn't matter on the opinion.  We're all entitled to it.  I think some people do cross the line with personal abuse and insults.  I don't like it but I think it's more because it's emotive than anything else, either way I'd prefer it didn't happen.  But it doesn't mean anyone dishing it out isn't a fan, surely because they are so emotive it's a reflection of how much they care.  

Equally so it doesn't matter how many games you watch or if you watch the bulk via iFollow, listening on Humberside, following text updates on Twitter...everyone has different circumstances.  It was only during the Covid season that I realised how hard it is to follow Town from, what effectively was, afar.  Without having that fortnightly trip to see the game in person, my interest really dwindled.  I wasn't alone in this either.  My Dad has been going for 60years + and whilst there's naturally less 'fun' in watching it on TV than in person I was really surprised how he would happily find an excuse to do something else than watch iFollow.  That was for one season.  How the hell people find the enthusiasm for Town when we're largely so disappointing and they don't get that physical connection with the club I'll never know.

We're all true fans.  Please, let's knock this idea on the head that some are better than others and therefore their views carry more weight.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 41
GollyGTFC
October 16, 2023, 9:37am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,960
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from 141269
Regular listener and was actually dreading tonight's episode as it was always going to be a rant but.....

Back end of the episode Alex makes a big thing about being respectful about opinions towards people.

That's after he said the manager is "talking excrement" and said the "players are as thick as fornication"

Really disappointing.

Any podcast is made up of individual people with individual opinions. I have my say on here and elsewhere and I don’t claim to represent the wider supporter base.

DN35 from what I’ve heard welcome feedback and messages so every opinion can be voiced if someone puts it forward.

And PH did talk shite on Humberside after game and he’s naive to try and dress that up as a game we were the better side in until the 72nd minute. He should have just given a bland non-answer answer.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 41
GollyGTFC
October 16, 2023, 9:39am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,960
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from 141269

Really disappointing.

Oh and I heard a significant number of “real fans” in the ground on Saturday shouting for Hurst to be sacked. And I didn’t hear anybody attempting to shout them down and give vocal support to Hurst.

So what exactly is the opinion of the “real fans”?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 41
gtfc98
October 16, 2023, 9:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
You'd think that moving out of Grimsby yet still being completely obsessed with town when there's countless other things you could be doing with your time instead would make you a "true fan". Get in the sea with this "you're only a true fan if you're there every week" drivel FFS.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 41
aldi_01
October 17, 2023, 6:45am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
What on earth is a true fan? Anyone that chooses to supper a club like town, ether they go week in week out or twice a year is a true fan…nobody picks to support clubs like town, or anyone outside of the premier league to some degree unless you’re a true fan.

We have a minority that go literally every game, are they the only the fans then? Ironically, I know a couple and they’re firmly in the Hurst in camp so if the argument is true fans know it’s time for him to go, once again it’s just cobblers.

For some people choosing to have money in their pocket to supper their families etc is most definitely their priority, doesn’t make them any less of a fan.

Same as if you believe that sacking a manager isn’t a solution, that doesn’t impede your ability to be a fan or supporter.

This nonsense always comes to the top when fans get arsey with the manager, like it’s actually important🙄

I didn’t miss a game during that ill-fated season back in 09-10, it was by far the worst season ever witnessed with by far the worst squad, I wish I’d not seen a thing…does that make me less of a fan Becauee if I had my time again I’d have missed every game of that flipping embarrassing moment in our history? Again though, ironically, I saw more aggression and vitriol from these true fans on Saturday than I did at any point that season, or at any point directed at the former moron that owned the club. Weird eh?

Back to the point, if you don’t like podcasts, don’t flipping listen, pretty simple really isn’t it…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 41
DaleH
October 17, 2023, 7:03am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +816
Gold Stars: 168
Maybe there’s a difference between being a fan and being a supporter.

Sometimes I feel that a fan is exactly what he/she is supposed to be. Someone that is fanatical about a team, even though they are limited in their ability to attend games regularly. Perhaps an occasional supporter, who unfortunately can’t now be a regular because of limited funds, work patterns or living too far away.

Whereas a supporter is someone who regularly attends games, spending not insignificant amounts of money to support their team whilst also being a fan.

I don’t think we should differentiate between those though in terms of their entitlement to an opinion.
The DN35 panel in my eyes, consists of fans and supporters. Their views are equally interesting to listen to on occasions, and relevant.

Best wishes
Dale
Spender of £2760 per annum on home game tickets each season, and therefore both a fan and a supporter.

Time to resurrect my Fishy signature again. So here goes.

"BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 41
ska face
October 17, 2023, 7:19am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from DaleH
m
Spender of £2760 per annum on home game tickets each season, and therefore both a fan and a supporter.

oooh somebody fetch the medal!

Be a long week this if we’re making a distinction between fans & supporters before breakfast on Tuesday. Roll on the weekend ffs.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 41
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › DN35 Podcast

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.