Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Are we really Fans ?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Are we really Fans ?

This thread currently has 3,765 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
October 16, 2023, 2:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I'm a ponnyite, sit behind the goal and I've made no bones about hating Hurst style of football, I'm one of those didn't want him back tbh, but I've also given the bloke some kudos for some great performances.
Generally I've been in the minority, had some, shall we say, heated debates with people around me, until 5pm on Saturday!!..
There are ardent Hurst fans in and around me, and for the first time on Saturday, even they were saying enough is enough. I honestly don't think it matters of the board back him or not now, the results have become irrelevant, it's the style of play that has turned things sour, and Hurst will never, ever change to an attack at all costs approach I'm afraid.

Strong word to use that one!

Cant see a change happening before the weekend,Not going to Stockport as had a prior engagement but I have a horrible feeling it could turn into Halifax away in 2015, one of my worst days watching town, as toxic as you could ever imagine
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 54
diehardmariner
October 16, 2023, 2:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
He can go a bit more attack minded though, two videos below from games a matter of 2 days apart in the early midst of the 2014/15 season.   He just always goes back to his default, the approach that he has far more belief in.  I think most of us get that we can't be gung-ho all the time, but just a little bit of less caution would be nice.

Anyway, the Gateshead video is worth watching just for Scott Neilson's celebration in front of Craig Baxter, a matter of months after Baxter had his shin snapped in half by the wind from Neilson's shoelace.

Private Message
Reply: 41 - 54
lew chaterleys lover
October 16, 2023, 3:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from diehardmariner
He can go a bit more attack minded though, two videos below from games a matter of 2 days apart in the early midst of the 2014/15 season.   He just always goes back to his default, the approach that he has far more belief in.  I think most of us get that we can't be gung-ho all the time, but just a little bit of less caution would be nice.

Anyway, the Gateshead video is worth watching just for Scott Neilson's celebration in front of Craig Baxter, a matter of months after Baxter had his shin snapped in half by the wind from Neilson's shoelace.

Do you find it odd when you see clips like this the quality of our play is so much better than today? Every clip on Twitter and elsewhere sees teamwork, players getting forward,  wingers darting down the line and getting crosses in etc. All in Hurst’s reign.

It doesn't matter about the division we are in or the quality of the opposition the principle is we can play so much better under Hurst and the only conclusion I can come to is that he made a complete horlicks of the recruitment process and has panicked.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 54
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 16, 2023, 3:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
I would expect that those who post on the fishy provide a very representative percentage of the fans who attend matches. I changed the area of the Upper that I sit in this season and even before the game started those around were sarcastic in their expectations for entertainment in the next 90 minutes and of those of us who still remained at the end there was a significant displeasure at the performance and of those saying that’s it I’m not coming again to watch this crap, or words to that effect.

I commented on Saturday that I was very puzzled by the fact the crowd was 6300 plus as there were numerous spare seat’s around our area of the Upper, I could see a number of empty seats in the Ponny and there looked plenty of seats in the Osmond plus a poor away following. Doesn’t add up to me when we have had large followings, seemingly very few empty seats in any stand but officially very similar attendances as Saturday, very odd.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 54
Northbank Mariner
October 16, 2023, 4:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Hagrid

Strong word to use that one!

Cant see a change happening before the weekend,Not going to Stockport as had a prior engagement but I have a horrible feeling it could turn into Halifax away in 2015, one of my worst days watching town, as toxic as you could ever imagine

Its not personal towards him H, its the style I hate, there's just no enjoyment watching it pal.

I'm not so sure about Stockport being the new hdlifax as most of us accept that we're on a hiding to nothing there, but if we play awful on Tuesday week against Colchester, then I'm taking my tin foil hat because I really can see BP becoming so bloody toxic, they'll be quite a few vociferous voices baying for blood of Hurst.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 54
Northbank Mariner
October 16, 2023, 4:57pm
Whiskey Drinker

Do you find it odd when you see clips like this the quality of our play is so much better than today? Every clip on Twitter and elsewhere sees teamwork, players getting forward,  wingers darting down the line and getting crosses in etc. All in Hurst’s reign.

It doesn't matter about the division we are in or the quality of the opposition the principle is we can play so much better under Hurst and the only conclusion I can come to is that he made a complete horlicks of the recruitment process and has panicked.

Was Rob Scott still his oppo though?..maybe, just maybe it would be interesting to compare the Hurst style with Scott and post Scott??.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 54
Northbank Mariner
October 16, 2023, 4:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
I would expect that those who post on the fishy provide a very representative percentage of the fans who attend matches. I changed the area of the Upper that I sit in this season and even before the game started those around were sarcastic in their expectations for entertainment in the next 90 minutes and of those of us who still remained at the end there was a significant displeasure at the performance and of those saying that’s it I’m not coming again to watch this crap, or words to that effect.

I commented on Saturday that I was very puzzled by the fact the crowd was 6300 plus as there were numerous spare seat’s around our area of the Upper, I could see a number of empty seats in the Ponny and there looked plenty of seats in the Osmond plus a poor away following. Doesn’t add up to me when we have had large followings, seemingly very few empty seats in any stand but officially very similar attendances as Saturday, very odd.

Isn't the attendance based on tickets sold rather than registered through the turnstiles?...that would certainly skew the figure to a higher number..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 54
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 16, 2023, 5:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79

Isn't the attendance based on tickets sold rather than registered through the turnstiles?...that would certainly skew the figure to a higher number..

Think previously, but I could be wrong, that we are a club who don’t count season ticket holders in the attendance if they don’t attend which is reason we had crowds of 6500+ last season when apparently no tickets were available to buy. Could be talking utter balderdash, wouldn’t be the first time, but that’s my understanding.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 54
diehardmariner
October 16, 2023, 8:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539

Was Rob Scott still his oppo though?..maybe, just maybe it would be interesting to compare the Hurst style with Scott and post Scott??.

Pretty sure this was post-Scott.

I'd definitely argue that under the guidance of both we were definitely a bit more aggressive in the attack (and in general conversation).

I'm in no way advocating a return for him and it's an observation rather than a stick to beat Hurst with, but I think Scott was a bit more proactive in the transfer market too.  On his own, I can only really think of Bogle and Conteh who Hurst has signed as players who you look and think 'we must have beat some competition for them'.  With Scott here there was Ian Miller, Liam Hearn, Ross Hannah, Anthony Elding, Richard Brodie.... Of course they didn't all work out but all arrived with a bit of a reputation at the level or below and with a pedigree about them. Hurst largely prefers those who go under the radar.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 54
aldi_01
October 16, 2023, 8:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
In answer to the question, I guess it depends what you regard as a fan or supporter.

Personally, I’ve reached a point where I’ve realised just standing there and moaning from minute one, berating players, moaning about subs or what not just isn’t necessary or has any real impact. There’s a flipping goon that sits near me that blew a gasket on Saturday as their lad rifled one in the top corner…ya know, just as Eisa has done this season.

We have a core of fans that quite frankly, if Hurst won the European cup would moan. That’s how it is. I also suspect, with the many platforms in which every Alf Ramsey can comment, even the great Lord and saviour himself, Alan Buckley would be hounded. Let’s not kid ourselves that at times his football was turgid, and that feat season of 98, we hardly flew into the playoffs and dominated all season.

A supporter is there to support, some of our fans would do best to remember that. You go through moments as a fan of a club when things get tough (this isn’t even close to be as tough as we’ve known) when you question things, very rarely your allegiance to a club, but Saturday was another of those moments, like Halifax, Dagenham, Bath City where my issue was being associated with some of our fan base.

We can all have and are entitled to an opinion but on a day when we were raising awareness of mental health, it was quite frankly flipping embarrassing, again.

Town fans have shown multiple times how they can club together for the greater good, but, and there is a but, we do seem to over react and turn quicker than milk…I do believe social media and this idea of instant gratification is a contributing factor to that though. Perhaps it’s an issue across football, who knows but for now, a fan would support their club, not pray the dole queue on someone, merely because they don’t feel entertained. It’s sport. Sometimes it’s a bit excrement…and besides, there really are more important things to get angry about…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Are we really Fans ?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.