Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Are we really Fans ?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Are we really Fans ?

This thread currently has 3,766 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
October 16, 2023, 11:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from 123614

As you know absolutely nothing about me, I will enlighten you, I am disabled and live in Barton upon Humber, I have no means of getting to games as the discomfort and pain I suffer just walking a short distance is intolerable.  You might want to think again before you comment on people you know nothing about.  Also I watch every game live on Mariners TV, so just cut out the BS please.

I did say that I didn’t want to be unreasonable. It’s not just what you see on TV, it’s the atmosphere and the body language.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 54
October 16, 2023, 11:24am
Guest User
Quoted from diehardmariner

And this would be a very crude type of opinion polling.

The feel on here and the definite shift in opinion over the last few weeks, certainly over the weekend, is more or less a mirror of what I've seen on social media and amongst the voices heard during and whilst leaving the game on Saturday.

I don't have the exact data behind it, which no doubt won't suit your selective arguments about facts, but I'm incredibly confident when saying that you're in a significant minority who don't wish for a change.

I am certain that you cannot prove that.

Reply: 31 - 54
AncientExiledMariner
October 16, 2023, 11:25am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I did say that I didn’t want to be unreasonable. It’s not just what you see on TV, it’s the atmosphere and the body language.

A wee bit of gatekeeping going on here...

You can see body language on TV. If your overall opinion is getting swayed by atmosphere, maybe your opinion is heavily influenced. A bit.. "Well, the folks around me didn't like it, so I didn't".
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 54
grimps
October 16, 2023, 11:25am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Ive been a fan over 40 years and I live overseas now.
I watch most of the games online (which I pay for) and Every time I go back to the UK i buy some stuff from the club shop, so I suppose I still give them my share of cash.

I'm sure I get just as miserable as everyone else when we lose and I think I still deserve the right to have a whinge when things aren't going well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 54
diehardmariner
October 16, 2023, 11:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from 123614

I am certain that you cannot prove that.

FFS, that's literally what I said in the exact same sentence that you quoted!

Private Message
Reply: 34 - 54
October 16, 2023, 11:49am
Guest User

FFS, that's literally what I said in the exact same sentence that you quoted!

Did you not say, "but I'm incredibly confident when saying that you're in a significant minority who don't wish for a change."

Incredibly confident!  Then prove it.

Reply: 35 - 54
diehardmariner
October 16, 2023, 12:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Right, if you read the full sentence then you'll see that I started with "I don't have the exa..."

Forget it.  It's like pissing into a flipping hurricane.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 54
ginnywings
October 16, 2023, 12:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Most of the people I attend with want PH gone and none of them post on here. I think there was a sea change on Saturday and it will only grow if performances and results don't improve over the next few weeks.

Not quite sure we have yet reached a tipping point, but it's close.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 54
diehardmariner
October 16, 2023, 1:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Same here, ginny.

I'd think that my group is quite moderate in their views and certainly not reactionary, especially when it comes to management of the club etc.  

Yet over the last few weeks a few grumbles of discontent/disillusionment have crept in, which just completely fell off the cliff on Saturday.  It seems very much the general theme across the fan base.

It's almost like the see-saw as the weight shifts from one side to another.  It's very gradual and not obviously noticeable, but then suddenly the other side of the see-saw just pings up/down.  I think the mood has slowly crept over the last month or so, Saturday was just the final straw for too many.

Said on another thread that the post second goal evacuation of the ground was interesting on two points.  Firstly that it sent a huge message as to the disillusionment with what was going on, still 16 minutes of time in total to be played at that point. But it also meant there was no large reaction at the final whistle.   The walkout and the post-game reaction from the fans wasn't with the result, it was with the display.  Had that game stayed at 0-0 until the 98th minute and Accrington stole it, you would have heard the booing miles away.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 54
Northbank Mariner
October 16, 2023, 2:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171
Same here, ginny.

I'd think that my group is quite moderate in their views and certainly not reactionary, especially when it comes to management of the club etc.  

Yet over the last few weeks a few grumbles of discontent/disillusionment have crept in, which just completely fell off the cliff on Saturday.  It seems very much the general theme across the fan base.

It's almost like the see-saw as the weight shifts from one side to another.  It's very gradual and not obviously noticeable, but then suddenly the other side of the see-saw just pings up/down.  I think the mood has slowly crept over the last month or so, Saturday was just the final straw for too many.

Said on another thread that the post second goal evacuation of the ground was interesting on two points.  Firstly that it sent a huge message as to the disillusionment with what was going on, still 16 minutes of time in total to be played at that point. But it also meant there was no large reaction at the final whistle.   The walkout and the post-game reaction from the fans wasn't with the result, it was with the display.  Had that game stayed at 0-0 until the 98th minute and Accrington stole it, you would have heard the booing miles away.

I'm a ponnyite, sit behind the goal and I've made no bones about hating Hurst style of football, I'm one of those didn't want him back tbh, but I've also given the bloke some kudos for some great performances.
Generally I've been in the minority, had some, shall we say, heated debates with people around me, until 5pm on Saturday!!..
There are ardent Hurst fans in and around me, and for the first time on Saturday, even they were saying enough is enough. I honestly don't think it matters of the board back him or not now, the results have become irrelevant, it's the style of play that has turned things sour, and Hurst will never, ever change to an attack at all costs approach I'm afraid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Are we really Fans ?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.