Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Are we really Fans ?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Are we really Fans ?

This thread currently has 3,769 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
October 15, 2023, 5:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
I'm a fan who buys his ticket, goes to games with hope, rather than expectation, and can't see the point in expending energy and thought into ranting and raving, either at the ground, or on social media.

As fans, we have absolutely no say in how the club is run, who the board hire and fire, what players are signed, who manages them and what formation/style we attempt to play.

The only choice we have is whether to attend or not, and no amount of wishing things were different is going to change anything, even if you think you know better than the board or the manager (you don't, otherwise you would be in their position) and all the time expended on finding fault with everything because you are angry we lost to Accrington Stanley is energy sapping and draining.

You can tie yourselves in knots thinking that you have the answer, but it's mostly a reactionary and simplistic view you are expressing, borne of frustration.

It sort of feels like those who complain and shout the loudest feel like they are the proper fans, and others who are more studied in their thinking are saps and happy clappers, who are lacking drive and ambition, and somehow don't care as much as they do, so are to be distrusted in their views.

In my years supporting Town, I've seen some of the best and some of the worst football you could imagine, but it's mostly been middling nothingness, much like every other lower league club has witnessed. Watching lower league football isn't glamorous and there are 24 teams in the league, only 4 of which can get promoted, with the other 20 clamouring for a position that isn't the bottom 2.

I'm as p1ssed off as anyone at the current situation, and would desperately love to see us playing rip roaring, attacking, winning football, and while PH is the manager, I will support him and his players, because I am a GTFC fan and he is the manager. If tomorrow, he isn't the manager, then I will support whoever is his replacement.

That is all we can do.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 54
golfer
October 15, 2023, 6:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,445
Gold Stars: 116
Agree entirely Ginny. If most of us including myself waited until the next morning to give our thoughts after anger and frustration had died down calmer more constructed views would be expressed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 54
The Caterham Mariner
October 15, 2023, 6:25pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +91
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from dicko995
Lets all take a step back and listen to all our comments on this site.  We, Grimsby, Cleethorpes,  Nationwide, International wide, and anywhere else. GTFC is a worldwide Club, a Club to be recognised and adored by local folf, here or anyone who has moved away from home to other pastures. We all keep in contact by the means of this site, The Fishy, as do the players, The staff, and even the Chairman and his helpers. We, as supporters, and as great we are, home and especially away from home, turn up and support our hero,s in the black and white stripes that we all honour, to play for and to support for. History is in the past, and the future is yet ro be read, but the present is what we are all concerned about. We all know what is happening now, and its a very disturbing time to all of us, and we all are at the same mind that its not going very well for us. We are all chanting (well most uf us) for Paull Hursts head to be chopped off, and looking at recent results from the beginning of the season , it feels a just cause. Some rants on this forum seem logical and just, and some seem embarrassing, especially when accusations that are terrible to calling certain players or the manager, staff, and above. Just take a step back and tink about this. We are Town, we are supporters, we live and breathe our Club, and yet we criminalise ourselves into turning against our dream, our club, our players, etc. We typr on here our feelings, and its not just for us to read, our players, staff, manager, and the owners look at this. It doesnt help our achievements to bonding as a Club to be recognised. Yes, we are in a rut, and yes, we can get out of it, but  we all need to come together and fight tis upset. Lets let the staff have a chat on monday and see where the problem is, and lets not let them see us bickering on here. I stand by all in the Club, and stand by us supporters, lets stay the course, We Are Town .

OUCH ..interesting  point of view ,point taken

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 54
Squidgy Fred
October 15, 2023, 6:52pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +44
Quoted from ginnywings
I'm a fan who buys his ticket, goes to games with hope, rather than expectation, and can't see the point in expending energy and thought into ranting and raving, either at the ground, or on social media.

As fans, we have absolutely no say in how the club is run, who the board hire and fire, what players are signed, who manages them and what formation/style we attempt to play.

The only choice we have is whether to attend or not, and no amount of wishing things were different is going to change anything, even if you think you know better than the board or the manager (you don't, otherwise you would be in their position) and all the time expended on finding fault with everything because you are angry we lost to Accrington Stanley is energy sapping and draining.

You can tie yourselves in knots thinking that you have the answer, but it's mostly a reactionary and simplistic view you are expressing, borne of frustration.

It sort of feels like those who complain and shout the loudest feel like they are the proper fans, and others who are more studied in their thinking are saps and happy clappers, who are lacking drive and ambition, and somehow don't care as much as they do, so are to be distrusted in their views.

In my years supporting Town, I've seen some of the best and some of the worst football you could imagine, but it's mostly been middling nothingness, much like every other lower league club has witnessed. Watching lower league football isn't glamorous and there are 24 teams in the league, only 4 of which can get promoted, with the other 20 clamouring for a position that isn't the bottom 2.

I'm as p1ssed off as anyone at the current situation, and would desperately love to see us playing rip roaring, attacking, winning football, and while PH is the manager, I will support him and his players, because I am a GTFC fan and he is the manager. If tomorrow, he isn't the manager, then I will support whoever is his replacement.

That is all we can do.

Good post Ginny. Having supported Town for more than 5 decades, these are also my sentiments. GTID.

UTM.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 54
arryarryarry
October 15, 2023, 7:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,036
Quoted from HerveJosse

There speaks someone who hasn’t attended many games  recently I suspect

Well he doesn't know how/when to start a new paragraph.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 54
MuddyWaters
October 15, 2023, 7:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,264
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings

That is all we can do.

I would never choose to not go, that’s for certain. What has got under my skin is seeing players downing tools and not being their best for the fans.

I don’t like seeing us lose, but seeing players downing tools or playing for themselves is another matter. Let’s be straight about this, there’s things that aren’t right and I trust the owners to sort it. I also reiterate what I’ve said before, I think he’s had his time, it’s been mostly good with some great days in there,let’s not spoil it for the sake of a few more games.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 54
dicko995
October 15, 2023, 7:35pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -261
Gold Stars: 21
And ther proves my point on this site. I have been lenient and i get lots of red crosses from most. Yes, i do attend all home matches and sit in the box which i yearly pay for, i see what you all see, im not a proud person whom sits in a quiet box and not get the atmosphere of sound, but im there heart and soul. I didnt expect applause from you all, as i see a lot of you have made your mind up, and condemned Hursty, dont know why i bother submitting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 54
GYinScuntland
October 15, 2023, 7:41pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
I think someone was fishing for green ticks but didn't get the catch  they expected.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 54
arryarryarry
October 15, 2023, 8:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,036
I do think fans have a voice and will be heard at some point.

If season ticket holders stop going and non season ticket holders stop buying and the current performances continue and things start to get ugly at home games then I think the board will have no choice but to act it they want to keep fans on their side.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 54
Mappers
October 15, 2023, 8:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,341
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from ginnywings

That is all we can do.

Good post

In all honesty I love Town but have always gone for a few beers , a bit of a laugh and the games sort of irrelevant - if we win its a bonus and i walk away buzzing , if not I have had a good day - ( Weymouth , Bromley , Eastleigh and Solihull come to mind ) just a good time even if the game was not great .

I know there are people who the result and performance is everything , and if that's the case they have been short changed for far too long at home , there are probably some like me , some like that and others in between or just going out of moral duty to our team .

I have enjoyed the Gillingham game this season and that's about it , a weird one as it looked like it was coming and we had a chance of a good season , I was quite optimistic actually .

But the bits and pieces , to put it politely , after that have in the main been dreadful . We have seen good times , some of us luckily great ones ; I just think we deserve a bit more otherwise the future of our fanbase may well become a distant memory in that they support their hometown club through 'thick and thin' because lets face it , in the main they have seen the thin .

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Are we really Fans ?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.