Vance Warner
October 15, 2023, 2:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,810
Gold Stars: 102
For now at least

We’ve had bad runs before and Hurst has turned things around.
There was identical talk of dressing room unrest a couple of years ago in a season that finished with one of the tightest group of battlers we’ve ever seen.

We’ve had bad luck with injuries and illness. Less than a week ago we were unable to fill the bench so it’s maybe not surprising some players didn’t look 100% yesterday. Vernam and Wilson were undoubtedly targeted as key players at the start of the season.

The majority of League Two games are turgid affairs. This seems to be more the case than ever with increased physicality meaning most games end up as a war of attrition. Not pretty but most fans have to endure the same at this level.

League Two is considerably stronger than last year. This idea that we have a mega budget is fanciful compared to lots of other teams. With all their talk of sustainability the idea that the owners would go sh1t or bust with the fa cup money I find hard to believe.

He’s been let down by some players. Yes it’s his job to get the best out of them but some of the individual errors yesterday were dreadful. Players that have served him well in the past have not been at their best.

Out last 3 league games have been W D L. Not as catastrophic as some are making out. I think people’s personal dislike of Hurst has clouded judgement on how likely he is to go at this point. I think he’s got at least 3 more games to turn it around. For the record if he’s given more time that’s because the owners feel it’s right. Sometimes it takes more balls to not sack a manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
mariner91
October 15, 2023, 2:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,656
Gold Stars: 262
We had a bad run two years ago but it was easily explainable. There was a clear game plan but it revolved around McAtee who was missing during that spell. Whilst it’s not the best strategy to rely so heavily on one player, we at least looked like a team with a plan and an idea of what we want to do. We don’t look like that now and it’s getting worse by the game.

He’s also not managed to turn things around in the past. Don’t forget he was in charge from January when we got relegated. I’ll accept that the majority of the blame lies with Fenty and Holloway but Hurst wasn’t blameless and it shows he doesn’t always get things fixed in a timely fashion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 42
MuddyWaters
October 15, 2023, 2:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,255
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Vance Warner
For now at least

There was identical talk of dressing room unrest a couple of years ago in a season that finished with one of the tightest group of battlers we’ve ever seen.

We’ve had bad luck with injuries and illness. Less than a week ago we were unable to fill the bench so it’s maybe not surprising some players didn’t look 100% yesterday. Vernam and Wilson were undoubtedly targeted as key players at the start of the season.

The majority of League Two games are turgid affairs. This seems to be more the case than ever with increased physicality meaning most games end up as a war of attrition. Not pretty but most fans have to endure the same at this level.

League Two is considerably stronger than last year. This idea that we have a mega budget is fanciful compared to lots of other teams. With all their talk of sustainability the idea that the owners would go sh1t or bust with the fa cup money I find hard to believe.

He’s been let down by some players. Yes it’s his job to get the best out of them but some of the individual errors yesterday were dreadful. Players that have served him well in the past have not been at their best.

Out last 3 league games have been W D L. Not as catastrophic as some are making out. I think people’s personal dislike of Hurst has clouded judgement on how likely he is to go at this point. I think he’s got at least 3 more games to turn it around. For the record if he’s given more time that’s because the owners feel it’s right. Sometimes it takes more balls to not sack a manager.

Have you been to any recent games? Serious question. If you have, haven’t you noticed the players’ body language?
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 42
GollyGTFC
October 15, 2023, 2:51pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Vance Warner
For now at least

Out last 9 games in all competitions have been L D L L L W D L L. Not as catastrophic as some are making out. I think people’s personal dislike of Hurst has clouded judgement on how likely he is to go at this point. I think he’s got at least 3 more games to turn it around. For the record if he’s given more time that’s because the owners feel it’s right. Sometimes it takes more balls to not sack a manager.

Edited for you.

And you can make all the excuses you like about the players are letting him down, but he signed them and if he can't get a tune out of them then what should we do? Start paying off players like we were in the late 2000's?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 42
Limerick Mariner
October 15, 2023, 3:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,697
Gold Stars: 136
Why should he be sacked now? We had a disappointing start, now moving into the realms of poor. The entertainment is certainly poor. But I cannot see how removing him would bring immediate improvement.

I think Penfras has it on the other thread - we haven’t signed players that run through brick walls and one like that is injured (Green). Another one, Maher ‘s training stats might have shown he wasn’t ready to play a full game yesterday. We are not party to this stuff. The current squad doesn’t provide a lot of options and PH has to take the flak for that. His recruitment has boxed us in to a 1 up front approach when we have an injury up front. No doubt he was thinking Eisa and Vernam would getting inside to support. That hasn’t worked and certainly neither of those will demolish walls. But what could another manager, that we could attract, do right now with the squad and injuries we have?

It has to change but PH knows now that surely. If he doesn’t then I’d have a different view. Unless we collapse now, he deserves at another transfer window.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 42
Bigdog
October 15, 2023, 3:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Why should he be sacked now? We had a disappointing start, now moving into the realms of poor. The entertainment is certainly poor. But I cannot see how removing him would bring immediate improvement.

I think Penfras has it on the other thread - we haven’t signed players that run through brick walls and one like that is injured (Green). Another one, Maher ‘s training stats might have shown he wasn’t ready to play a full game yesterday. We are not party to this stuff. The current squad doesn’t provide a lot of options and PH has to take the flak for that. His recruitment has boxed us in to a 1 up front approach when we have an injury up front. No doubt he was thinking Eisa and Vernam would getting inside to support. That hasn’t worked and certainly neither of those will demolish walls. But what could another manager, that we could attract, do right now with the squad and injuries we have?

It has to change but PH knows now that surely. If he doesn’t then I’d have a different view. Unless we collapse now, he deserves at another transfer window.

Not true. Played full game on Tuesday and see Maher's wife's tweet yesterday.  Shocking that Maher wasn't selected, but even more shocking was the open dissent against Hurst. Something's definitely not right..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 42
Dodorondon
October 15, 2023, 3:16pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: -31
Gold Stars: 6
Why? Because I like him and you’re all awful.

(With apologies to male private Emery)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 42
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 15, 2023, 3:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,696
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Bigdog

Not true. Played full game on Tuesday and see Maher's wife's tweet yesterday.  Shocking that Maher wasn't selected, but even more shocking was the open dissent against Hurst. Something's definitely not right..

Hurst actually confirmed in the week that he had chosen Waterfall in preference to Maher at Tranmere as he thought Waterfalls performance against Barrow merited his being retained in the side. Like all town fans I have loads of time and respect for Luke but everyone can see that our best centre back pairing is Rodger’s and Maher so I was very surprised the Manager has not reinstated this pairing, puzzling!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 42
chaos33
October 15, 2023, 3:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Bigdog

What did it say?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 42
MuddyWaters
October 15, 2023, 3:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Spot on.

There’s various posts on other social media talking about player dissent. I’ve heard a few bits, some of which makes sense but it’s not worth repeating.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 42
heppy88
October 15, 2023, 3:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,079
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Bigdog

The regular "fan" contributor On Humberside said he had heard the same. For someone who generally succeeds to offer a balanced view of the games, to make a comment like this on local radio, makes me think there is some truth in this. Have to agree though re dissent. I cannot remember social media being used to criticise Hursty, by a players significant other,ever.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 42
Dodorondon
October 15, 2023, 3:22pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: -31
Gold Stars: 6
Because it’s on social media. Ooh must be true then. Get a grip some of you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 42
Limerick Mariner
October 15, 2023, 3:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Fair enough, but I don’t know Maher’s wife nor read twatter…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 42
Bigdog
October 15, 2023, 3:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 42
Limerick Mariner
October 15, 2023, 3:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

Some wives may not fancy their husbands, but that is not always the case...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 42
The Caterham Mariner
October 15, 2023, 3:43pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +89
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Dodorondon
Because it’s on social media. Ooh must be true then. Get a grip some of you.

And when does a players wife's comment on social media could /would /influence a managers choice of whom to play and when.
In my work place the manager tells you what you do, nothing to do with what your wife thinks or says!!!

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 42
Limerick Mariner
October 15, 2023, 3:47pm
Whiskey Drinker

And when does a players wife's comment on social media could /would /influence a managers choice of whom to play and when.
In my work place the manager tells you what you do, nothing to do with what your wife thinks or says!!!

We all like things in black and white, so I'll explain, Mrs Maher said Mr Maher is fit. She could have said I'd like to ride him, but she may have thought that inappropriate...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 42
MuddyWaters
October 15, 2023, 3:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Mrs Maher’s social media intervention wasn’t the only bit of player dissent yesterday though, was it? The fact that she felt that she needed to tweet was one thing but Danny Rose’s reaction to being substituted was on a different level.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 42
pontoonlew
October 15, 2023, 3:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,039
Gold Stars: 177

Some wives may not fancy their husbands, but that is not always the case...

It’ll be even weirder if she fancies him given it’s his mum
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 42
Hagrid
October 15, 2023, 4:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from pontoonlew

It’ll be even weirder if she fancies him given it’s his mum

Was gonna say I’m sure its his mother😂

I’ve been told today that there was a big set too with Doig After Tuesday nights game between he and players involved
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 42
fishcake63
October 15, 2023, 4:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
[quote=136845]

Not true. Played full game on Tuesday and see Maher's wife's tweet yesterday.  Shocking that Maher wasn't selected, but even more shocking was the open dissent against Hurst. Something's definitely not right..[/ This wont end well
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
Mappers
October 15, 2023, 4:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,326
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Vance Warner
For now at least

I know what you are saying and the Hurst supporter in me agrees

The trouble is I have rarely , if ever seen a Hurst team with individuals in it who down tools - which yesterday IMO I saw from some,  not all - something isn't right within the camp - I think we have a talented group , but as we have seen before a team with less ability but grit and determination generally does better than the former ; ideally a combination of both which looks further away than ever really .

Like some have said there is no need for abuse towards him as he has done some real good here , but even for him I think it would be better to step away now with his reputation relatively in tact in contrast to leaving us tucked up in a terminal situation .

We have all seen teams /managers and fans in this situation before , we all know by now it never tends to end well .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
October 15, 2023, 4:22pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Vance Warner
For now at least

I’ve attempted a few drafts, which included some of your points, but mine was too long, even for me, so I scrapped it and had a wānk…

1. Previous poor runs

Agree with your points. Posters on here have claimed two or three times in past seasons that Hurst had ‘lost the dressing room’. Every time that was proved to be false (21/22 and that passionate draw against Halifax stands out, against a backdrop of similar comments). Body language experts have moaned about goal celebrations in previous seasons (e.g. Taylor not celebrating Hunt’s goal) - it means nothing, you should never trust a badge kisser anyway.

The caveat would be that, even in previous poor spells, it was clear to all but the most radical Hurst haters that the team were still playing for him and fully committed.

I’m not saying that isn’t the case now but I can understand the concerns (Waterfall’s cowardly second yellow yesterday, Holohan and other midfielders not tracking runners, Glennon turning his back and day dreaming against Crawley and Eastwood’s spineless goalkeeping in the same match).

2. General standard of L2

Despite the money floating around in L2 the quality of the football still isn’t great. It’s improved since our previous spells at this level but most matches are turgid. Wrexham and Notts Co have a lot of firepower, which is currently compensating for their porous defences. Mansfield were decent to watch, Barrow too but they still lost and are only 2 points above us.

Pre-season, I thought there were probably 16 sides with fans who expected promotion or play-offs at a minimum. That’s been borne out by the sackings of Hughes and Harris and teams taking points off one another. It wouldn’t surprise me if 70 pts, or even late 60s could be enough to make the play-offs. Sadly, I don’t see is getting near that and didn’t pre-season.

3. Players’ fault?

Having said you shouldn’t read much into goal celebrations (or players being annoyed at being subbed), it’s usually more helpful to analyse reactions to goals conceded. We’re getting plenty of practice at the moment.

You can understand players making mistakes - that’s forgivable. But most of the past 13 goals we’ve let in have been due to players being lazy of mind and lazy of body. The senior players should be laying into their teammates but they can’t because they most to blame for the goals.

Yes, Hurst recruited most of them, picks the team and tactics but there are a few worrying signs. The players better had still be giving 100% or they should be getting some shït in the future, even if Hurst does leave.

4. Other points

We’ve now conceded 13 goals in the last 6 league matches. I don’t think we will go down if Hurst stays but we will if we continue to defend like this as a team. Notts County and Wrexham are conceding at close to 2 goals per match but they have the firepower to get themselves out of trouble (whether that’s sustainable for them is an another matter).  

The decision to sign a raw, inexperienced back up goalkeeper is looking iffy. Eastwood should have been dropped after that Crawley match but Hurst couldn’t because Cartwright isn’t ready yet

We made signings early and had a full pre-season to work on fitness, formations, set pieces, tactics, general play, marking, penalties, squad morale etc. Based on the evidence, this time appears to have been wasted. Paul Hurst works very hard but I don’t know what the players have been doing all summer.

I’m not sure what the problem is with Glennon, whether it’s mental, physical, homesickness, exposed tactically or whether he is actually just crap. I had hoped that, with a full summer to work on him, Hurst could improve Glennon. From the outside, it looks like we left it too late in the window to try to find a replacement.

Playing Maher at RB in the Scab Trophy and then starting Waterfall yesterday appears, again from the outside, as odd. Even more so in light of Clair Maher’s now deleted tweet.

Results in the last 3 have been ok. 4 points from 3 isn’t awful. It’s certainly not great but it would keep you away from relegation. Golly’s wider sample looks grimmer but the season ppg of 1.08 would see us safe but underwhelmed / apoplectic (or somewhere in the middle)

Conclusion

I don’t like sacking managers, particularly not someone as respected within the industry as Hurst. I like him a person and as a fellow small, cautious, man in a world of lanky wànkers, I do have a bias towards him.

I think Hurst deserves more time. I hope he is given it and he can pull us up the table.

We probably need 1.7 ppg to make the playoffs. Not many Town managers have managed that sort of consistency over the past 20 years so I think any hope of the playoffs, or even keeping them in reach to give us something to play for, are probably dead, regardless of manager. It’s all about survival and a cup run now!

We really do need to start defending better though. I’m not expecting much against Stockport. I can envisage a thrashing away at Forest Green at the end of Nov before a do or die 6 pointer against Sutton.

If we’re in actual trouble by that stage, S&P really will have  a decision to make.

Actually…that’s still a bit long. Sorry. Should have that second tug instead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
diehardmariner
October 15, 2023, 4:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
The Waterfall over Maher decision seems to the one that Hurst might die on, or certainly is dying on in the eyes of many.

I get the feeling that he's gone with Waterfall for his leadership qualities. But the irony is that it was Waterfall who completely let himself and his team down with that stupid red card.

I've still not quite got my head round where I stand and how I feel. But on my run this morning I listened to Graham Wesley's UndrTheCosh. Let me be clear, I don't want him in charge and I think he's a complete helmet. But he spoke a lot about character and getting players to be with him and run through walls.  I didn't get that feeling from our side yesterday and nor have I for most of this season.

Have we lost too many dressing room leaders? I don't know.
Are the players downing tools? I don't know.
Is Doig the problem? I don't know.

What I do know is that something has to give. It's hurting me to think Hurst is the thing to give. He's got us out that flipping league twice and given me some of my best memories as Town fan. He comes across a decent bloke, genuinely. I wanted this to end with him leaving on his own terms, with our best wishes, for a bigger job that is completely insignificant to us (Aberdeen, Inter Miami, China... Any side that won't play us). If it ends like this I'll genuinely be a bit heartbroken, but I think it might need to end before it gets too painful.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
grimsby pete
October 15, 2023, 4:47pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,799
Gold Stars: 222
Posters are saying Jason will not sack Hurst.

Well I think he would if we looked like returning to the conference but we are not there yet so Hurst job is safe for now.

That does not stop us showing our dissatisfaction on the way things are going at the moment.

We Will get behind the team because that is what we do but the sound of the players unrest is quite disturbing.

This needs sorting ( if true ) as soon as possible we need a happy squad if we want a winning team.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
golfer
October 15, 2023, 5:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,441
Gold Stars: 116
A lot of people on here think Hurst should go and the players are lazy sods. I think Hurst is a good manager of men and if he got over his stubbornness of not changing his game plans he could be a good manager. As for the players I don't think they are lazy, just unable to play the style Hurst wants. They also don't make mistakes on purpose and they do care if they have an off day. Waterfall got his red card because he was in fact trying too hard and Rose was upset because he wanted to stay on.. For me I would be satisfied if Hurst got the players to play a more attacking game and let their natural skills come more to the fore. Defenders therefore defend and forwards attack
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
Corkyefes
October 15, 2023, 5:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -117
Gold Stars: 7
The thing is, even if Hurst does turn this around and we start climbing the table, theres absolutely nothing at the minute to suggest that we have a team capable of hitting the playoffs; which we all would suggest was our target at the start of the season.

Theres argument that the 'team/squad' hasnt improved (despite the rumoured higher budget), theres little bits of evidence to suggest that the players aren't playing for the manager and rumours of dressing room revolts.
None of that is healthy for any team/manager

I genuienly hope Hurst turns it around and I hope that we hit the playoffs, but as we finish each game, were looking further from being able to do that.

The heat is going to be for Hurst these next 3/4 games and the Hurst out screams will only get louder if we dont turn the performances around quickly.

Colchester may be the game which decides his future. A win gives him time, a loss or draw gives the owners a big decision to make.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
AncientExiledMariner
October 15, 2023, 5:41pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
I think most here know I'm one of Hurst's biggest supporters. I thought we had just started to turn it around and I thought Saturday was a very winnable game. Afterwards, I felt pretty deflated. Got to the point where I thought maybe things did need to change, and if it did happen, I'd probably be fine with it.

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to doubt that. Something is not right behind the scenes, and some of the defending has been casual. Something you wouldn't expect with a Paul Hurst team. The level of determination in the Bradford game at times... While I'm not going to debate the point that Hurst does need to adapt a little, and become more aggressive, I'm starting to think the biggest issue is with the players (some) rather than Hurst.

If some players have maybe took their foot of the gas a little and "aren't playing for the manager", and we sack Hurst now, we are basically giving players a blank cheque to pick and choose who our manager is. If some have had enough of Hurst, and are not only not playing for him, that is one thing. With that, they are also not playing for the fans or the pay cheque (as professionals should), which I don't think is acceptable.  Don't get me wrong, frustration of being taken off by say Rose, I don't think is a problem. It shows he gives a excrement, and wants to battle. I personally would have started Maher on Saturday, but for his wife to potentially be allegedly sticking the daggers in on social media, that's embarrassing. I don't think a partner should do that and jeopardise their partners job situation without them having a view on it. I get drunk with my partners work situation, but I keep my mouth shut if she don't want me saying anything out of respect.

Obviously, there is some level of speculation here, and it could be wide of the mark. I think if this could be the case, it really needs the club to stick with Hurst. If that is happening, you either hold Hurst, or the players to account. Hurst will know who the worst offenders/ringleaders are, and may want to do something about that come January. If a group of the players do actually oust Hurst, who has had success with the club, they're going to believe they can do it with anyone. You can get into the cycle of those clubs like Chelsea/Man Utd, who are sometimes unmanageable. I mean, we had a pretty extreme situation here in the past, post Mike Newell.

If the club decides to let Hurst go, they need to keep one or multiple of the coaching staff, as they'll know what has gone on and can communicate that to the new boss.

Don't get me wrong, something needs to change, and pretty quick. Hurst needs to adapt, but if we change manager, we could be opening up a can of worms. I cannot imagine the confidence is zero after 4 points in 2 games then Bradford. Hurst has turned around a really shitty run before, so he's more than capable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
denni266
October 15, 2023, 6:07pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Yes he should stay......Long enough to clear his and Doigs desk`s
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
chaos33
October 15, 2023, 6:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
But not until he’s learned to spell the tricky word ‘desk’. You twerp! 😂

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
chaos33
October 15, 2023, 6:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Love it. He’s edited out the superfluous’c’ from his original spelling of ‘desck’s’, but left in the apostrophe!!! Brilliant.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 42
arryarryarry
October 15, 2023, 7:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042

I'm not yet calling for him to go now. The last time I did was after one of the most pitiful games I had seen for years when we lost to Harrogate in 2021. After that game I started a Hurst out thread saying he would take us out of the Football League and sadly he did.

I would suggest that if we were to drop into the bottom 2 at any point I would be thinking then that his time is up but certainly if we were in the bottom 4 come Christmas then I would be saying his time is up and certainly not expect him to be given another transfer window.

Private Message
Reply: 31 - 42
GollyGTFC
October 15, 2023, 7:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,962
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from arryarryarry

I'm not yet calling for him to go now. The last time I did was after one of the most pitiful games I had seen for years when we lost to Harrogate in 2021. After that game I started a Hurst out thread saying he would take us out of the Football League and sadly he did.

I would suggest that if we were to drop into the bottom 2 at any point I would be thinking then that his time is up but certainly if we were in the bottom 4 come Christmas then I would be saying his time is up and certainly not expect him to be given another transfer window.

Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve moved on from the Fenty era 22nd will do attitude.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 32 - 42
ska face
October 15, 2023, 7:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
For anyone saying we should stick with him as there’s no guarantee anyone better would come in, I’d just point out that this is the exact same attitude that kept Fenty in charge for 2 decades and look what happened the second he was replaced.

No guarantees in this life but sometimes fortune favours the brave.  
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 42
1mickylyons
October 15, 2023, 7:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
The only reason Hurst should stay is if we can't get someone else in to have us higher than 18th in league 2 on gates of 6k plus.I don't get this let's put up with it attitude from some supporters they see the same 90mins I do .Why do they think things will get better where does this optimism come from?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 42
arryarryarry
October 15, 2023, 8:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve moved on from the Fenty era 22nd will do attitude.

I'm not saying 22nd will do. I was just pointing out to a previous poster that come Christmas at the very latest if we are near the bottom then he has go and not be given another transfer window. I would be very surprised if the Chairman gets rid before that.

As I pointed out sadly I wasn't listened to after I suggested he should be sacked in 2021 and was given plenty of grief for suggesting that.

Similarly in November 2009 I was very vociferous against the appointing of Neil Woods and given grief by many on here before he was given the permanent post and all through his leadership again saying he would take us out of the Football League and sadly I was right about that as well..
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 42
Mappers
October 15, 2023, 8:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,326
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from 1mickylyons
The only reason Hurst should stay is if we can't get someone else in to have us higher than 18th in league 2 on gates of 6k plus.I don't get this let's put up with it attitude from some supporters they see the same 90mins I do .Why do they think things will get better where does this optimism come from?

They/we have seen 20 years of underachievment and worry what change will bring probably , that's hardly gone well for us either has it in that period .

He needs to go but we don't definitely know we will get better . Let's hope Pettit & Stockwood have a masterplan , not one that's us 'punching above our weight ' at 7th in the conference .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 42
sonofmadeleymariner
October 15, 2023, 9:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
Reasons for Hurst to stay? Does he make a good cuppa? Maybe he can assistant Tea Lady

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 42
Ashby mariner
October 16, 2023, 7:07pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 8
I never thought we'd be having so many different threads on here saying similar things that Paul's, time is up. I gave always, liked Hurst and was hoping we could push on like everybody else this season. I would and still would be happy with us being a top half team. Not necessarily in the playoff spots has there are many  teams that appear to have  better quality and budgets.
Watching is Saturday was truly awful. Accrington where poor and we played Rose in his own against 2 big centre backs. I thought at half time we would go 2 up top and go for it. I want Hurst to succeed but I don't see how he can turn it around.
People including myself think we have a better team than what we had the 2nd part of last season. However I know not all of them where our players but Crocombe, Emanual, Lloyd, mcatee, Smith maybe Orsi to a degree would in my opinion get into this team. So I don't think we have a better team than last season. Like I say I know 3 of them where on loan.
I will be there at Stockport hoping to get a result of some sort however it will need a polar opposite of what I've witnessed lately. Even if we go there and lose but at least look like a team playing for one another.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 42
headingly_mariner
October 17, 2023, 1:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,377
Quoted from ska face
For anyone saying we should stick with him as there’s no guarantee anyone better would come in, I’d just point out that this is the exact same attitude that kept Fenty in charge for 2 decades and look what happened the second he was replaced.

No guarantees in this life but sometimes fortune favours the brave.  

I agree that's not a good argument to not change.

I think a decent argument is Hurst's previous demonstration of turning things around, being a competent manager, hard worker and fostering a great team spirit. I've also always thought he's an honest fella.  I expect him to turn it round, I understand others don't.

Fenty was a flipping pudding who never demonstrated any of those qualities in his time with us.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 42
Bigdog
October 17, 2023, 1:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

I'm not saying 22nd will do. I was just pointing out to a previous poster that come Christmas at the very latest if we are near the bottom then he has go and not be given another transfer window. I would be very surprised if the Chairman gets rid before that.

As I pointed out sadly I wasn't listened to after I suggested he should be sacked in 2021 and was given plenty of grief for suggesting that.

Similarly in November 2009 I was very vociferous against the appointing of Neil Woods and given grief by many on here before he was given the permanent post and all through his leadership again saying he would take us out of the Football League and sadly I was right about that as well..

Christmas doesn't give a new manager a chance of assessing the squad properly. He'd need at least December if not a good chunk of November too, otherwise any budget spent in the transfer window would be a punt.

My biggest fear is that 1878 will ignore what they are witnessing and think it's their virtuous duty to be overly loyal to PH. Hurst's latest post match interview was a litany of poor excuses, and most players on the pitch were a shadow of their former selves.. again.

The writing is already on the wall, PH will be gone sometime, this season, the next or sometime after that, and he won't have a promotion to League One on his cv. It's just a question of how much pain the fans have to go through and how much the coffers and goodwill of the club will be hit between now and that point.

I don't believe there's many Town fans left that think PH can get us promoted out of this division. That's the remit of his job, so what's the point in him stayingt? All this conjecture is just hot air before the inevitable.. whenever it comes in the future..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 42
Poojah
October 17, 2023, 2:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,572
Gold Stars: 1,501
Quoted from Bigdog

My biggest fear is that 1878 will ignore what they are witnessing and think it's their virtuous duty to be overly loyal to PH. Hurst's latest post match interview was a litany of poor excuses, and most players on the pitch were a shadow of their former selves...

In general terms, owners tend to act when widespread abuse switches target from the manager to themselves. I’m not advocating abuse of either Hurst or the owners, both parties have earned way more respect than to be subjected to that, but that’s simply the way these things tend to go.

In the event we get a good shoeing at Stockport, and conventional wisdom suggests that’s likely, it will be an incredible test of their values and perceived loyalty to Hurst were things also to go south against Colchester the following Tuesday.

Personally, I’d love nothing more than to win both games with performances that suggest something of a corner turned; I’m just not holding my breath.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 42
DB
October 17, 2023, 4:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Poojah

In general terms, owners tend to act when widespread abuse switches target from the manager to themselves. I’m not advocating abuse of either Hurst or the owners, both parties have earned way more respect than to be subjected to that, but that’s simply the way these things tend to go.

In the event we get a good shoeing at Stockport, and conventional wisdom suggests that’s likely, it will be an incredible test of their values and perceived loyalty to Hurst were things also to go south against Colchester the following Tuesday.

Personally, I’d love nothing more than to win both games with performances that suggest something of a corner turned; I’m just not holding my breath.

So would I but those using data analysis may think differently.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 42
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Why Hurst Should Stay

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.