Vance Warner
October 15, 2023, 2:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,810
Gold Stars: 102
For now at least

We’ve had bad runs before and Hurst has turned things around.
There was identical talk of dressing room unrest a couple of years ago in a season that finished with one of the tightest group of battlers we’ve ever seen.

We’ve had bad luck with injuries and illness. Less than a week ago we were unable to fill the bench so it’s maybe not surprising some players didn’t look 100% yesterday. Vernam and Wilson were undoubtedly targeted as key players at the start of the season.

The majority of League Two games are turgid affairs. This seems to be more the case than ever with increased physicality meaning most games end up as a war of attrition. Not pretty but most fans have to endure the same at this level.

League Two is considerably stronger than last year. This idea that we have a mega budget is fanciful compared to lots of other teams. With all their talk of sustainability the idea that the owners would go sh1t or bust with the fa cup money I find hard to believe.

He’s been let down by some players. Yes it’s his job to get the best out of them but some of the individual errors yesterday were dreadful. Players that have served him well in the past have not been at their best.

Out last 3 league games have been W D L. Not as catastrophic as some are making out. I think people’s personal dislike of Hurst has clouded judgement on how likely he is to go at this point. I think he’s got at least 3 more games to turn it around. For the record if he’s given more time that’s because the owners feel it’s right. Sometimes it takes more balls to not sack a manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
mariner91
October 15, 2023, 2:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
We had a bad run two years ago but it was easily explainable. There was a clear game plan but it revolved around McAtee who was missing during that spell. Whilst it’s not the best strategy to rely so heavily on one player, we at least looked like a team with a plan and an idea of what we want to do. We don’t look like that now and it’s getting worse by the game.

He’s also not managed to turn things around in the past. Don’t forget he was in charge from January when we got relegated. I’ll accept that the majority of the blame lies with Fenty and Holloway but Hurst wasn’t blameless and it shows he doesn’t always get things fixed in a timely fashion.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 42
MuddyWaters
October 15, 2023, 2:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Vance Warner
For now at least

There was identical talk of dressing room unrest a couple of years ago in a season that finished with one of the tightest group of battlers we’ve ever seen.

We’ve had bad luck with injuries and illness. Less than a week ago we were unable to fill the bench so it’s maybe not surprising some players didn’t look 100% yesterday. Vernam and Wilson were undoubtedly targeted as key players at the start of the season.

The majority of League Two games are turgid affairs. This seems to be more the case than ever with increased physicality meaning most games end up as a war of attrition. Not pretty but most fans have to endure the same at this level.

League Two is considerably stronger than last year. This idea that we have a mega budget is fanciful compared to lots of other teams. With all their talk of sustainability the idea that the owners would go sh1t or bust with the fa cup money I find hard to believe.

He’s been let down by some players. Yes it’s his job to get the best out of them but some of the individual errors yesterday were dreadful. Players that have served him well in the past have not been at their best.

Out last 3 league games have been W D L. Not as catastrophic as some are making out. I think people’s personal dislike of Hurst has clouded judgement on how likely he is to go at this point. I think he’s got at least 3 more games to turn it around. For the record if he’s given more time that’s because the owners feel it’s right. Sometimes it takes more balls to not sack a manager.

Have you been to any recent games? Serious question. If you have, haven’t you noticed the players’ body language?
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 42
GollyGTFC
October 15, 2023, 2:51pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,959
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Vance Warner
For now at least

Out last 9 games in all competitions have been L D L L L W D L L. Not as catastrophic as some are making out. I think people’s personal dislike of Hurst has clouded judgement on how likely he is to go at this point. I think he’s got at least 3 more games to turn it around. For the record if he’s given more time that’s because the owners feel it’s right. Sometimes it takes more balls to not sack a manager.

Edited for you.

And you can make all the excuses you like about the players are letting him down, but he signed them and if he can't get a tune out of them then what should we do? Start paying off players like we were in the late 2000's?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 42
Limerick Mariner
October 15, 2023, 3:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,703
Gold Stars: 136
Why should he be sacked now? We had a disappointing start, now moving into the realms of poor. The entertainment is certainly poor. But I cannot see how removing him would bring immediate improvement.

I think Penfras has it on the other thread - we haven’t signed players that run through brick walls and one like that is injured (Green). Another one, Maher ‘s training stats might have shown he wasn’t ready to play a full game yesterday. We are not party to this stuff. The current squad doesn’t provide a lot of options and PH has to take the flak for that. His recruitment has boxed us in to a 1 up front approach when we have an injury up front. No doubt he was thinking Eisa and Vernam would getting inside to support. That hasn’t worked and certainly neither of those will demolish walls. But what could another manager, that we could attract, do right now with the squad and injuries we have?

It has to change but PH knows now that surely. If he doesn’t then I’d have a different view. Unless we collapse now, he deserves at another transfer window.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 42
Bigdog
October 15, 2023, 3:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Why should he be sacked now? We had a disappointing start, now moving into the realms of poor. The entertainment is certainly poor. But I cannot see how removing him would bring immediate improvement.

I think Penfras has it on the other thread - we haven’t signed players that run through brick walls and one like that is injured (Green). Another one, Maher ‘s training stats might have shown he wasn’t ready to play a full game yesterday. We are not party to this stuff. The current squad doesn’t provide a lot of options and PH has to take the flak for that. His recruitment has boxed us in to a 1 up front approach when we have an injury up front. No doubt he was thinking Eisa and Vernam would getting inside to support. That hasn’t worked and certainly neither of those will demolish walls. But what could another manager, that we could attract, do right now with the squad and injuries we have?

It has to change but PH knows now that surely. If he doesn’t then I’d have a different view. Unless we collapse now, he deserves at another transfer window.

Not true. Played full game on Tuesday and see Maher's wife's tweet yesterday.  Shocking that Maher wasn't selected, but even more shocking was the open dissent against Hurst. Something's definitely not right..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 42
Dodorondon
October 15, 2023, 3:16pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Approval: -31
Gold Stars: 6
Why? Because I like him and you’re all awful.

(With apologies to male private Emery)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 42
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 15, 2023, 3:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,696
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Bigdog

Not true. Played full game on Tuesday and see Maher's wife's tweet yesterday.  Shocking that Maher wasn't selected, but even more shocking was the open dissent against Hurst. Something's definitely not right..

Hurst actually confirmed in the week that he had chosen Waterfall in preference to Maher at Tranmere as he thought Waterfalls performance against Barrow merited his being retained in the side. Like all town fans I have loads of time and respect for Luke but everyone can see that our best centre back pairing is Rodger’s and Maher so I was very surprised the Manager has not reinstated this pairing, puzzling!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 42
chaos33
October 15, 2023, 3:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Bigdog

What did it say?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 42
MuddyWaters
October 15, 2023, 3:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Bigdog

Spot on.

There’s various posts on other social media talking about player dissent. I’ve heard a few bits, some of which makes sense but it’s not worth repeating.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 42
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Why Hurst Should Stay

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.