5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
October 15, 2023, 6:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Love it. He’s edited out the superfluous’c’ from his original spelling of ‘desck’s’, but left in the apostrophe!!! Brilliant.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 42
arryarryarry
October 15, 2023, 7:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Why should he be sacked now? We had a disappointing start, now moving into the realms of poor. The entertainment is certainly poor. But I cannot see how removing him would bring immediate improvement.

I think Penfras has it on the other thread - we haven’t signed players that run through brick walls and one like that is injured (Green). Another one, Maher ‘s training stats might have shown he wasn’t ready to play a full game yesterday. We are not party to this stuff. The current squad doesn’t provide a lot of options and PH has to take the flak for that. His recruitment has boxed us in to a 1 up front approach when we have an injury up front. No doubt he was thinking Eisa and Vernam would getting inside to support. That hasn’t worked and certainly neither of those will demolish walls. But what could another manager, that we could attract, do right now with the squad and injuries we have?

It has to change but PH knows now that surely. If he doesn’t then I’d have a different view. Unless we collapse now, he deserves at another transfer window.

I'm not yet calling for him to go now. The last time I did was after one of the most pitiful games I had seen for years when we lost to Harrogate in 2021. After that game I started a Hurst out thread saying he would take us out of the Football League and sadly he did.

I would suggest that if we were to drop into the bottom 2 at any point I would be thinking then that his time is up but certainly if we were in the bottom 4 come Christmas then I would be saying his time is up and certainly not expect him to be given another transfer window.

Private Message
Reply: 31 - 42
GollyGTFC
October 15, 2023, 7:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,960
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from arryarryarry

I'm not yet calling for him to go now. The last time I did was after one of the most pitiful games I had seen for years when we lost to Harrogate in 2021. After that game I started a Hurst out thread saying he would take us out of the Football League and sadly he did.

I would suggest that if we were to drop into the bottom 2 at any point I would be thinking then that his time is up but certainly if we were in the bottom 4 come Christmas then I would be saying his time is up and certainly not expect him to be given another transfer window.

Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve moved on from the Fenty era 22nd will do attitude.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 32 - 42
ska face
October 15, 2023, 7:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,662
Gold Stars: 847
For anyone saying we should stick with him as there’s no guarantee anyone better would come in, I’d just point out that this is the exact same attitude that kept Fenty in charge for 2 decades and look what happened the second he was replaced.

No guarantees in this life but sometimes fortune favours the brave.  
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 42
1mickylyons
October 15, 2023, 7:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
The only reason Hurst should stay is if we can't get someone else in to have us higher than 18th in league 2 on gates of 6k plus.I don't get this let's put up with it attitude from some supporters they see the same 90mins I do .Why do they think things will get better where does this optimism come from?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 42
arryarryarry
October 15, 2023, 8:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve moved on from the Fenty era 22nd will do attitude.

I'm not saying 22nd will do. I was just pointing out to a previous poster that come Christmas at the very latest if we are near the bottom then he has go and not be given another transfer window. I would be very surprised if the Chairman gets rid before that.

As I pointed out sadly I wasn't listened to after I suggested he should be sacked in 2021 and was given plenty of grief for suggesting that.

Similarly in November 2009 I was very vociferous against the appointing of Neil Woods and given grief by many on here before he was given the permanent post and all through his leadership again saying he would take us out of the Football League and sadly I was right about that as well..
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 42
Mappers
October 15, 2023, 8:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from 1mickylyons
The only reason Hurst should stay is if we can't get someone else in to have us higher than 18th in league 2 on gates of 6k plus.I don't get this let's put up with it attitude from some supporters they see the same 90mins I do .Why do they think things will get better where does this optimism come from?

They/we have seen 20 years of underachievment and worry what change will bring probably , that's hardly gone well for us either has it in that period .

He needs to go but we don't definitely know we will get better . Let's hope Pettit & Stockwood have a masterplan , not one that's us 'punching above our weight ' at 7th in the conference .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 42
sonofmadeleymariner
October 15, 2023, 9:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
Reasons for Hurst to stay? Does he make a good cuppa? Maybe he can assistant Tea Lady

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 42
Ashby mariner
October 16, 2023, 7:07pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 8
I never thought we'd be having so many different threads on here saying similar things that Paul's, time is up. I gave always, liked Hurst and was hoping we could push on like everybody else this season. I would and still would be happy with us being a top half team. Not necessarily in the playoff spots has there are many  teams that appear to have  better quality and budgets.
Watching is Saturday was truly awful. Accrington where poor and we played Rose in his own against 2 big centre backs. I thought at half time we would go 2 up top and go for it. I want Hurst to succeed but I don't see how he can turn it around.
People including myself think we have a better team than what we had the 2nd part of last season. However I know not all of them where our players but Crocombe, Emanual, Lloyd, mcatee, Smith maybe Orsi to a degree would in my opinion get into this team. So I don't think we have a better team than last season. Like I say I know 3 of them where on loan.
I will be there at Stockport hoping to get a result of some sort however it will need a polar opposite of what I've witnessed lately. Even if we go there and lose but at least look like a team playing for one another.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 42
headingly_mariner
October 17, 2023, 1:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,380
Quoted from ska face
For anyone saying we should stick with him as there’s no guarantee anyone better would come in, I’d just point out that this is the exact same attitude that kept Fenty in charge for 2 decades and look what happened the second he was replaced.

No guarantees in this life but sometimes fortune favours the brave.  

I agree that's not a good argument to not change.

I think a decent argument is Hurst's previous demonstration of turning things around, being a competent manager, hard worker and fostering a great team spirit. I've also always thought he's an honest fella.  I expect him to turn it round, I understand others don't.

Fenty was a flipping pudding who never demonstrated any of those qualities in his time with us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Why Hurst Should Stay

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.