6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
September 16, 2023, 5:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,428
Gold Stars: 534
Beaten by a better side with much bigger resources.

We pass the ball well up to the box, then just fizzles out and i fear the lack of squad depth will see us fall short this season.

Opposition were not pretty but they are mightily effective at what they do and will be up there.

Many times we got in good positions and yet overhit the cross or didnt have enough men in the box.

Thought Gnahou and Pyke did okay in fairness, and Khan looked sharp when he came on.

I hate losing, but I didnt expect anything today, especially not when i saw the line up.

Mullins a girl private but whoever chucked the bottle at him when he walked past the town fans, have a word with yourself
Logged Online
Private Message
TownSNAFU5
September 16, 2023, 5:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,882
Gold Stars: 42
At last we won the key game at Wrexham.

We were on a hiding to nothing today with a weakened team.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 56
Mayaman
September 16, 2023, 5:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
I thought Conteh had a good game.  

When we do find space, we don't attack with pace.  Compare our forays into the final third compared to Wrexham's .  By the time we have made a decision, the opportunity has gone.   Always too cautious.  On a plus note, it was good to see Otis back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 56
TAGG
September 16, 2023, 5:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,958
Gold Stars: 126
Bad defending for the first two considering we had 3 CBs
I don't think we were that bad today but game after game we are not good enough in the final third and I can't see us getting any better with the resource we have.
Also we seem to have a team of midgets compered to most teams in this league.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 56
pontoonlew
September 16, 2023, 5:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Gold Stars: 177
All very predictable. I think we’ve built a very good midfield but it’s so frustrating how short we’ve left ourselves up top yet again.

It’s almost like every attacking player we sign is signed with defensive capabilities in mind, and we suffer going forward because of it. Half the time our wingers seem more worried about their defensive responsibilities that they repeatedly fail to create further up the pitch.

Today Wrexham weren’t even all that great but we didn’t lay a glove of them. Every single ball in the box was poor and we didn’t create a chance against a side who didn’t have a home clean sheet all season, conceding 13 goals in 4 home games.

I think we’ve improved, but it’s the same issues in the same areas yet again that I think are going to be our undoing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 56
barralad
September 16, 2023, 5:53pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Before the game we were saying we could understand why Hurst went with his formation given the aerial threat Wrexham posed which must make the manner in which we conceded both first half goals particularly galling for Hurst. Waterfall seems to be the fall guy but all three were culpable for me. Shipping goals took all the pressure off Wrexham's "dodgy" defence.
Second half was a non-event from a Town point of view with a pretty uncomfortable sense of inevitability about the result. Eastwood made a couple of first class saves but being brutally honest it was men v boys.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 56
MuddyWaters
September 16, 2023, 5:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from barralad
Before the game we were saying we could understand why Hurst went with his formation given the aerial threat Wrexham posed which must make the manner in which we conceded both first half goals particularly galling for Hurst. Waterfall seems to be the fall guy but all three were culpable for me. Shipping goals took all the pressure off Wrexham's "dodgy" defence.
Second half was a non-event from a Town point of view with a pretty uncomfortable sense of inevitability about the result. Eastwood made a couple of first class saves but being brutally honest it was men v boys.

It’s Waterfall because we play deep to accommodate his lack of pace and then we fail to press. In turn that makes the energy of Clifton and Holohan superfluous.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 56
fishcake63
September 16, 2023, 6:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
But we was just as bad second half with your so called high press which for me doesn't exist we was pinned back by a far superior outfit & truth be known it should have been a cricket score by the end
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 56
fishcake63
September 16, 2023, 6:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Also like to add goals they scored all avoidable but they have money we can only dream of was only a matter of time before they got better , beat by lge 2 champions today so not too dispondent
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 56
barralad
September 16, 2023, 6:21pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It’s Waterfall because we play deep to accommodate his lack of pace and then we fail to press. In turn that makes the energy of Clifton and Holohan superfluous.

It's all about opinions but I couldn't see any evidence that we played "deeper". Our best moments in the game came from Conteh picking up the ball inside their half and using both flanks. One such attack resulted in their lad getting a booking when Rodgers of all people got well forward. Both goals (which is what I was on about) came from crosses unchallenged.
I'm afraid I don't understand the comment about Clifton  and Holohan being superfluous. Both saw a lot of the ball but neither were able to make the best of it.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 56
Maringer
September 16, 2023, 6:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,546
Gold Stars: 185
I've not seen any evidence that Waterfall is even too slow! He's obviously not rapid, but I've always thought he was quicker than some think. I didn't go today but it's disappointing that we apparently conceded the first half goals in the way in which we did.

The BBC report reckons we had almost 60% possession which indicates we were more than in the game, but we're certainly not creating many opportunities at the moment. Perhaps not surprising, given all the injuries in attack.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 56
wxm80s
September 16, 2023, 6:41pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 16
I wouldn't be too down at all chaps. I'm not in anyway gloating here by the way. You're a good side. Genuinely. Better than most I've seen so far.

Bearing in mind that was far and away our best performance of the season, and we could start pretty much our best team for the first time, and it clicked for the first time too.
You were better than Walsall and Doncaster by a distance. We weren't out of sight at two nil or we didn't feel it was anyway. The folk around me (I was opposite you) were nervous. I wasn't comfortable either as you did dominate in periods but lack the final pass to cut through us.

All the best for the rest of the season, bar against us!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 56
fishcake63
September 16, 2023, 6:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Hate wrexham but today they took the mickey simple as that far superior in every department also like to add & again not a fan of his but mullin is superb at this level so is elliot lee but prob on 5 even 6k a week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 56
louth_in_the_south
September 16, 2023, 6:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 96
All about opinions and there’s a wide range tonight which probably indicates we weren’t that bad.  

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 56
Maringer
September 16, 2023, 6:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
You're rarely that bad if you've managed to have 60% possession. Just a pity about the lack of a goal threat.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 56
Bigdog
September 16, 2023, 6:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
We were very deep first half. They let us have possession, which skewed the stats, and picked us off in the areas that matter. They also looked more rounded as a team and every player knew their roles, yet we probably visited the final third as much as they did. The difference was they were more decisive, moved the ball quicker, had better deliveries and more attackers in the box. Lee, Mullen and Fletcher are players we can only dream of. They're on a different trajectory to us, but if we had a full squad available like they did and not played five at the back, I reckon it would have been a lot tighter game and maybe we could have exploited one or two vulnerabilities they have defending. I watched 45 minutes of Notts County last night, they impressed me a lot more than Wrexham, but still had one or two defensive frailties. I don't think we're as far away as some think, Khan showed that in his cameo today. A frustratingly understandable defeat due to injuries in all honesty..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 56
MuddyWaters
September 16, 2023, 7:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Maringer
You're rarely that bad if you've managed to have 60% possession. Just a pity about the lack of a goal threat.  

It depends where you have possession. No good if most of that 60% is passing sideways and backwards.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 56
moosey_club
September 16, 2023, 7:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Useless fckers...can't even manage to lose 4-0 to bring my predictions in. 😄
Not bothered about the result in all honestly as didn't expect anything else.
Have to look at a bigger picture....more possession yet probably less goal threat......pattern emerging.
Rose injured....why? Overplaying him ? Making him flog another 15 -20 mins out of his body for several weeks maybe a factor?
Pretty much no attacking alternative in the squad...why?

One game like this against well backed opposition won't define our season...but the emerging patterns undoubtedly will.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 56
Madeleymariner
September 16, 2023, 7:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,059
Gold Stars: 50
Frustrating indeed. 90 mins before we had a shot from insde their box I think (slow back header into Howards arms). Because of set pieces he goes 3 at the back and we let in 2 headers so that worked well.  Good defensive planning, Maher (smallest of our centre backs) following Palmer about and usually Waterfall (our slowest defender) following Mullen??. It was so simple how Wrexham worked it. A Reds fan on train said he was inline with play for first goal and thought it was just offside. First 2 goals almost identical, set piece cleared to 35 yards wide and our whole defence stands on 6 yard line waiting for the cross again instead of pushing out (its hard to score headers from edge of the box). Still 2 down, Wrexham corner on 71 mins and we had all 11 players in our own box defending and I mean literally in our box, not stood just outside even, what is that about. We had some really good spells and put them under pressure but nowhere near and end result, No one played badly we just don't seem able to open up defences despite all the possession. I expect the Xs for not saying well they get paid more, better players, etc. but if you don't win whoever it is thats 3 points more than us that the other team have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 56
Maringer
September 16, 2023, 7:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
By definition, a lot of retained possession is backwards and sideways. You can't kick the ball forwards all the time. Tiki taka was backwards and forwards and the likes of Man City often have the ball going forward to the wings before working it back into midfield multiple times before putting it into the box.

Now, I'm not claiming that we're anything like Barcelona or Man City, but keeping a high level of possession is certainly something which will stand us in good stead against teams which don't have expensive former internationals playing for them...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 56
moosey_club
September 16, 2023, 7:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Maringer
By definition, a lot of retained possession is backwards and sideways. You can't kick the ball forwards all the time. Tiki taka was backwards and forwards and the likes of Man City often have the ball going forward to the wings before working it back into midfield multiple times before putting it into the box.

Now, I'm not claiming that we're anything like Barcelona or Man City, but keeping a high level of possession is certainly something which will stand us in good stead against teams which don't have expensive former internationals playing for them...

Having a great deal of possession in a game is a good trait, you are right....but if it only results in one sight of goal in 90 mins you need one fking deadly striker in the box....and if that is your game plan then letting 3 in at the other end isn't really a recipe for success.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 56
male private Nale
September 16, 2023, 7:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
All you whoppers calling mullin a girl private , I would love to have him in our team and if you disagree you don’t have a flipping clue
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 56
chipsandgravy
September 16, 2023, 8:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,614
Gold Stars: 37
Feeling more pragmatic than disappointed. Whilst I hate losing to anyone I have to be realistic in terms of what money can buy you. Thought at times we had good passages of play and overall looked like a decent footballing side until the last 10-15 minutes or so. They were quite happy to sit back and defend and hit us quickly knowing that they had decent options in the final third. We 'footballed' our way to the box with out ever really hurting them. We know the problems but losing two form players today didnt help so people should stop getting there knickers in such a twist and stop and think a little more. I was more hacked off over the late goals at Walsall and Bradford than I was today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 56
The Caterham Mariner
September 16, 2023, 8:01pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +89
Gold Stars: 8
SAT 24th March 2024
Lets see how clever they are at BP...
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 56
lukeo
September 16, 2023, 8:15pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from male private Nale
All you whoppers calling mullin a girl private , I would love to have him in our team and if you disagree you don’t have a flipping clue

He's a genuinely lovely bloke off the pitch is the feeling I got when I watched the documentary, proper family man. But he's a diving sharp object or atleast falls down very easily... Just because my opinion of him is this it doesn't mean I wouldn't want him at Grimsby.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 56
rancido
September 16, 2023, 8:21pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Quoted from lukeo

He's a genuinely lovely bloke off the pitch is the feeling I got when I watched the documentary, proper family man. But he's a diving sharp object or atleast falls down very easily... Just because my opinion of him is this it doesn't mean I wouldn't want him at Grimsby.

Jack Lester springs to mind when it comes to falling down easily but we didn't mind that because we benefited from it.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 56
It Bites
September 16, 2023, 8:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,210
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from rancido

Jack Lester springs to mind when it comes to falling down easily but we didn't mind that because we benefited from it.

Jack used to do my head in . He’d of scored loads more if he’d stayed on his feet
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 56
gtfc_chris
September 16, 2023, 8:57pm
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
I could only watch from home today and tuned in after 40 minutes. From what I managed to see it was very much the same as we've seen all season.

I think we keep getting better and better at controlling the game with the ball. The quality of our possession has been fantastic in my opinion but we're still yet to figure out how best to turn it into chances.

We got into a few good crossing positions in the second half but I don't think one would have led to a goal if we carried on til Xmas. The best ball in was the one that fizzed low across the 6 yard box, but the closest player was Clifton around the penalty spot.

In truth it's disappointing to lose the game, maybe more so the actual scoreline, 3-0 sounds worse than our general performance suggests. We knew it was going to be tough and in truth I didn't expect anything from the game so I was more hoping to see a competitive performance to show we can match those teams tipped to be up there. It might seem a little lacking in ambition but progression is still progression even if it may have limitations at times.

What I hope we will start to work on now we've proven our dominance against two decent sides is progressing with more pace. We have lovely patterns of play but they're steadily built and we don't capitalise on any space in front to exploit and allow the opposition to get organised.

I did notice when the league table popped up that we've now played 5 of the top 6 in our 8 games. Its been widely discussed how tough our opening fixtures were but that just cements how difficult they've been. It can serve something as a rationalisation but it won't really mean a lot if we can't get a string of results together when the fixtures turn in our favour a little.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 56
Northbank Mariner
September 16, 2023, 9:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,474
Gold Stars: 171
That game was won and lost in the final of the opponents box...
They put good balls in, got on the end of them and scored, we put balls in the box, woeful crosses at best and not once did we look like a threat.
Yes, we play some good football but we are toothless, we don't flood the box, look at Wrexhams last goal, scored by a midfielder attacking the six yard line.
I'm not sure how we sort this issue out tbh, is it the way we train or are coached, the personnel or a combination of both...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 56
fellowfan
September 16, 2023, 9:39pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +1
At the game if we don't improve mid table at best. Wrexham with their resources will spend big in January just to seal the deal. That Fletcher guy for them hasn't had proper training session since end of last season, he had more ability in the 20 minutes he played at the end than any of ours all season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 56
fishcake63
September 16, 2023, 9:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
They had players busting a gut to get on end of things in our 18 yard box i never see us doing the same but as i'v said previously once fletcher & mclean etc get upto speed it's going to take a good side to stop em winning lge
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 56
diehardmariner
September 17, 2023, 7:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
I thought we were too deep and toothless simply because of how we set up.

5 defenders (with two fullbacks asked to play as wingbacks) and a holding midfielder is always going go leave anyone up against it going forward. Soon as they scored the first the game was over.

We knocked it about really nicely and there were moments when we dragged Wrexham all over the place, yet didn't have anything to hurt them.

Easy criticism of Hurst but I felt he gave them too much respect today. As said pre-game, our back 4 has coped OK so far this season so no need to change it just for them.  I appreciate the injuries to Rose and Eisa really limited options but even a half each of Khan and Ainley would have allowed us to keep the previous system.

Best performance so far from Pyke, despite finding himself very isolated and starved of service.

Easiest criticism going of Hurst, but until he releases the shackles a bit we'll always struggle to break teams down and score goals.  The change to the defence is even more frustrating when all 3 goals were pretty sloppy.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 56
IlkleyMariner
September 17, 2023, 9:24am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Sounds like a pretty toothless performance.

How did Conteh play?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 56
Bigdog
September 17, 2023, 9:43am
Whiskey Drinker
I know we're split as a fanbase on this, but a recurring theme has been attacking in the final third. I like Mullarkey a lot as a defender, but we do miss Efete's energy going forward and his willingness to get into the box. At the very least he's another body defenders have to keep an eye on and frees up our forward players a little more. Every time I've seen us play this season we look unenergetic and static out wide. Mullarkey, who was poor yesterday, is a safer bet definitely, but as it showed at Wrexham, going ultrasafe doesn't guarantee clean sheets..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 56
toontown
September 17, 2023, 10:09am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
I think there were some positives to take from the performance - we dominated possesion and generally looked very comfortable on the ball, lots of nice play and touches in tight areas and crisp passing. We were up against a top side in this league and in open play we largely didn't look out of place, apart from in the final third.

Plenty of negatives too, the obvious one being we were so utterly bereft of any goal threat, just 1 tame effort on target all game for all our nice possession. Our nice passing play forward is quite slow, so by the time our forward players are on the edge of the oppo box they are all back and well organised, hence why so many of our shots seem to be blocked. This is exacerbated by our crossing being genuinely dreadful, hits the first man or skied over everybody. On the rare occasion we get a decent cross in there usually isn't anybody in the box anyway, or not enough. We had 8 defensive players on the pitch - GK, 5 'backs', conteh, Pyke (a wing back attempting to be played as a striker, who looks exactly like the player being played out of position up front that he is).

I think the issue though is that the game crystallised the concerns that have been highlighted both pre season and especially as deadline day approached. We have nothing available behind rose striker wise. Pyke was surely signed as 4th choice, anexperimental 'can we get him to play up front' and looks like it. Yeah we have injuries but that was known about before the deadline and wasn't rectified. Remember all the talk of how having an expensive 20 goal striker left you vulnerable to injury and we would be better spreading the goals around the team? Well what we seem to have done is not sign the 20 goal striker, but also not left ourselves with any one fit who is capable of playing up front to a decent standard so we are still horribly exposed if rose is injured. Added to that is instead of spreading the goals around our little goal threat is so far centred on eisa anyway, with the same issue. Lastly I don't think the subs could have changed much about yesterday, but in general we don't seem to have much in terms of game changers on there. Khan came on for a welcome appearance and improved us a bit,  but we have to be honest, he's a decent player but one that failed to nail a place down in the first team of a mid table side last season. The fact we are so eagerly anticipating his return and hoping he improves us is perhaps a bit concerning.

We were playing a one side with mega bucks though, with a weakened team, so this one defeat isn't season defining. I said pre season that if, after this game, we were 12th that means we are doing OK. This was because of how hard our opening fixtures are. We are a little below that in 15th, and I'd say we have been disappointing, not terrible or anything but yeah a bit underwhelming. Basically due to the widely identified lack of goal threat. After the Swindon game our fixtures get a bit easier and we've got to take advantage of these on paper easier games and create more and score more, and start moving up the league, if we don't then yeah we need to be concerned.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 56
Bigdog
September 17, 2023, 10:59am
Whiskey Drinker
I thought Pyke was one of our better players yesterday. Had a bit of pace about him, troubled their defenders, was often first to the ball and protected it too. Gnahoua showed flashes of class, Khan troubled them when he came on, Maher and Rodgers were better without Waterfall, Eastwood made some decent saves and punches, Conteh was solid, Amos had his hands full and was ok, but Mullarkey, Clifton and Holohan were very under par, Clifton seemingly played in a position where he couldn't influence the game.. That's how I saw it. Also thought the way to get at Wrexham is to attack them quickly not be ponderous like we were. We looked like we were trying to take minutes out of the game from very early in the first half. Personnel available didn't help, but team selection and formation tied our hands far too much..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 56
toontown
September 17, 2023, 11:09am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Bigdog
I thought Pyke was one of our better players yesterday. Had a bit of pace about him, troubled their defenders, was often first to the ball and protected it too. Gnahoua showed flashes of class, Khan troubled them when he came on, Maher and Rodgers were better without Waterfall, Eastwood made some decent saves and punches, Conteh was solid, Amos had his hands full and was ok, but Mullarkey, Clifton and Holohan were very under par, Clifton seemingly played in a position where he couldn't influence the game.. That's how I saw it. Also thought the way to get at Wrexham is to attack them quickly not be ponderous like we were. We looked like we were trying to take minutes out of the game from very early in the first half. Personnel available didn't help, but team selection and formation tied our hands far too much..

Have to agree to disagree on the Pyke aspect, I think he has looked mediocre in every performance I've seen from him. Certainly not matt Green level dreadful by any means, but just 'can do a job' up front level performance of being a body on the pitch, the game just passes him by.

Hopefully he improves when we have a run of games against weaker teams and create more chances (fingers crossed).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 56
Mappers
September 17, 2023, 11:16am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from toontown
I think there were some positives to take from the performance - we dominated possesion and generally looked very comfortable on the ball, lots of nice play and touches in tight areas and crisp passing. We were up against a top side in this league and in open play we largely didn't look out of place, apart from in the final third.

Plenty of negatives too, the obvious one being we were so utterly bereft of any goal threat, just 1 tame effort on target all game for all our nice possession. Our nice passing play forward is quite slow, so by the time our forward players are on the edge of the oppo box they are all back and well organised, hence why so many of our shots seem to be blocked. This is exacerbated by our crossing being genuinely dreadful, hits the first man or skied over everybody. On the rare occasion we get a decent cross in there usually isn't anybody in the box anyway, or not enough. We had 8 defensive players on the pitch - GK, 5 'backs', conteh, Pyke (a wing back attempting to be played as a striker, who looks exactly like the player being played out of position up front that he is).

I think the issue though is that the game crystallised the concerns that have been highlighted both pre season and especially as deadline day approached. We have nothing available behind rose striker wise. Pyke was surely signed as 4th choice, anexperimental 'can we get him to play up front' and looks like it. Yeah we have injuries but that was known about before the deadline and wasn't rectified. Remember all the talk of how having an expensive 20 goal striker left you vulnerable to injury and we would be better spreading the goals around the team? Well what we seem to have done is not sign the 20 goal striker, but also not left ourselves with any one fit who is capable of playing up front to a decent standard so we are still horribly exposed if rose is injured. Added to that is instead of spreading the goals around our little goal threat is so far centred on eisa anyway, with the same issue. Lastly I don't think the subs could have changed much about yesterday, but in general we don't seem to have much in terms of game changers on there. Khan came on for a welcome appearance and improved us a bit,  but we have to be honest, he's a decent player but one that failed to nail a place down in the first team of a mid table side last season. The fact we are so eagerly anticipating his return and hoping he improves us is perhaps a bit concerning.

We were playing a one side with mega bucks though, with a weakened team, so this one defeat isn't season defining. I said pre season that if, after this game, we were 12th that means we are doing OK. This was because of how hard our opening fixtures are. We are a little below that in 15th, and I'd say we have been disappointing, not terrible or anything but yeah a bit underwhelming. Basically due to the widely identified lack of goal threat. After the Swindon game our fixtures get a bit easier and we've got to take advantage of these on paper easier games and create more and score more, and start moving up the league, if we don't then yeah we need to be concerned.

My feelings pretty much, losing to Wrexham and even Swindon (if we do ) are not my concern .

It's beating Crawley , Colchester , Morecambe and Sutton at home - all games we should probably be winning as we do have a better team than them ; we play them all in the next few games and I would say judge us more after that when a more balanced amount of the good and bad teams have been played .

If we drop points and go back to drawing 0-0 at home against  bottom 6 fodder I think my current optimistic outlook may drop .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 56
chaos33
September 17, 2023, 12:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
We e got to do better offensively. Simple as. We don’t create enough chances and we are short of forwards.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 56
sonofmadeleymariner
September 17, 2023, 1:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
Same old same old, toothless, and creatively lacking going forward. It was the same time and again, get the ball to the Winger/Wingback they put in a poor cross that is either short, too long or when there's only one in the box and repeat.

Conceded goals the same way we always seem to concede, one waiting for the second ball to come in instead of pushing out and stopping it and not following midfielders in from the edge of the box because we've all been drawn into the 6-yard box.

We did everything far too slowly, every time we attacked, the player had already gone before the pass was made or we let Wrexham get back and regroup while we pinged the ball between Conteh, Maher, and Rodgers.

All those saying we had possession is all well and good but all that did was stop Wrexham from putting more past us. We can have 60, 70, or 80 percent of the possession as we tap it around the back 4, but if we don't do anything with it, it's pointless having it.

I thought the players let Hurst down yesterday. I said about 5 minutes into the second half, they didn't look up for it and they'd come out with their heads down, and not up for putting up a fight.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 56
lew chaterleys lover
September 17, 2023, 1:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,724
Gold Stars: 237
Same old same old, toothless, and creatively lacking going forward. It was the same time and again, get the ball to the Winger/Wingback they put in a poor cross that is either short, too long or when there's only one in the box and repeat.

Conceded goals the same way we always seem to concede, one waiting for the second ball to come in instead of pushing out and stopping it and not following midfielders in from the edge of the box because we've all been drawn into the 6-yard box.

We did everything far too slowly, every time we attacked, the player had already gone before the pass was made or we let Wrexham get back and regroup while we pinged the ball between Conteh, Maher, and Rodgers.

All those saying we had possession is all well and good but all that did was stop Wrexham from putting more past us. We can have 60, 70, or 80 percent of the possession as we tap it around the back 4, but if we don't do anything with it, it's pointless having it.

I thought the players let Hurst down yesterday. I said about 5 minutes into the second half, they didn't look up for it and they'd come out with their heads down, and not up for putting up a fight.

That last point is an interesting one because Hurst mentioned that in his post match interview. That is a bit concerning to be honest as we put so much emphasis on getting the right characters in, to effectively coast in the second half is not on. I suppose the players themselves know we don't have a striker or enough forward power to get us back into the game but even so.

I very much agree about the possession stats as well but posters know my position on stats which does not find universal agreement on here!
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 56
September 17, 2023, 1:41pm
Guest User
Some people say that one of our problems is that we don't move the ball fast enough when in possession.  This then gives the opposition time to set up and defend their goal.  Having seen 99% of our games live, I tend to agree.  The question is why?  Do we not have enough players who have the quality to pick out a pass and execute it quickly and accurately?  Are the team playing as per instructions?  Are players not getting forward and finding space to receive a quick pass?

I watched Brighton beat Man U last night on MotD, and they had 3 men in the Penalty area for the 1st goal, 4 for the second goal and 5 for their 3rd goal, and they were the away team!  Now, obviously they are a very good Premier League side and we are League Two, however I think we could make more effort to get the ball forwards quicker and attempt to get more bodies in the box too.  Some might say, well they are in the Premier League so should be fitter than our squad, maybe so, but we are in League Two playing against teams with a fitness level probably the same as, or near to ours.

I'm not a Professional Football Manager, but my eyes see how slowly we build up play, with some exceptions, and also see the lack of players getting into the box when attacking.  As I said earlier, I don't know if this is by design or a lack of quality passers in the team and players not being able to get into the box and on the end of crosses because of a lack of pace or vision.  Just my opinion!
Reply: 41 - 56
rancido
September 17, 2023, 2:03pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog
I know we're split as a fanbase on this, but a recurring theme has been attacking in the final third. I like Mullarkey a lot as a defender, but we do miss Efete's energy going forward and his willingness to get into the box. At the very least he's another body defenders have to keep an eye on and frees up our forward players a little more. Every time I've seen us play this season we look unenergetic and static out wide. Mullarkey, who was poor yesterday, is a safer bet definitely, but as it showed at Wrexham, going ultrasafe doesn't guarantee clean sheets..

You make a good point about Mullarkey v Efete. However, IMO , Mullarkey is a much better defender and more suited to the full back role. Like so many things as regards comparing players, it's all down to individual opinions and ultimately it is the managers opinion that dictates who plays.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 56
rancido
September 17, 2023, 2:11pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from 123614
Some people say that one of our problems is that we don't move the ball fast enough when in possession.  This then gives the opposition time to set up and defend their goal.  Having seen 99% of our games live, I tend to agree.  The question is why?  Do we not have enough players who have the quality to pick out a pass and execute it quickly and accurately?  Are the team playing as per instructions?  Are players not getting forward and finding space to receive a quick pass?

I watched Brighton beat Man U last night on MotD, and they had 3 men in the Penalty area for the 1st goal, 4 for the second goal and 5 for their 3rd goal, and they were the away team!  Now, obviously they are a very good Premier League side and we are League Two, however I think we could make more effort to get the ball forwards quicker and attempt to get more bodies in the box too.  Some might say, well they are in the Premier League so should be fitter than our squad, maybe so, but we are in League Two playing against teams with a fitness level probably the same as, or near to ours.

I'm not a Professional Football Manager, but my eyes see how slowly we build up play, with some exceptions, and also see the lack of players getting into the box when attacking.  As I said earlier, I don't know if this is by design or a lack of quality passers in the team and players not being able to get into the box and on the end of crosses because of a lack of pace or vision.  Just my opinion!

You make some good points but I don't agree about the difference in fitness levels. The coaches at all clubs have access to the latest fitness exercises and dietary regimes to get the best out of their players. Premier League players are not super humans but they are better footballers because of their skills and the ability to think " football" coupled with following the manager and coaching staffs instructions.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 56
IlkleyMariner
September 17, 2023, 2:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
If you want to see how to score, just watch the three Leeds United goals v Millwall today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 56
wuffing
September 17, 2023, 2:16pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 38
Lets hope we just had an off day!!

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 56
Yoda
September 17, 2023, 2:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,151
Gold Stars: 71
wrexham up front are pretty good in defence they are awful.
Swindon put 5 past them and we couldn’t muster 1
Let’s be honest Mullin and Palmer are gone if they go up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 56
golfer
September 17, 2023, 3:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,441
Gold Stars: 116
Over the last few seasons I have noticed that our players are on the small size and easily get pushed aside. A good big one is better than a small one. Size does matter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 56
The Caterham Mariner
September 17, 2023, 4:19pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +89
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from golfer
Over the last few seasons I have noticed that our players are on the small size and easily get pushed aside. A good big one is better than a small one. Size does matter.

Yes indeed thats a true observation you need some big lads in the box to knock the headers in etc ,gain superiority  in the air .Not that i want to see a team of "Peter Crouches" nor a team of Raheem Sterlings ...Something  in the middle PH please

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 56
Spurn boy
September 17, 2023, 5:39pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,240
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Bigdog

I know that Hurst would never entertain the idea but I would have loved to have seen Efete been given a chance up front in one of those Micky mouse cup games, just 45 minutes to show what he can do as a no 9 . Playing as a wingback he does get into some good forward positions but often gets caught offside, he does show a fair bit of skill within the opposition box and has a couple of goals to his name. Ok it’s Fantasy Football but you never know.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 56
easypeersy
September 17, 2023, 7:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +301
Gold Stars: 11
Absolutely DISGUSTED with the Grimsby supporters who thought it ok to throw missiles into the Wrexham crowd.
Shameful and dangerous behaviour giving our true supporters a bad name!
Take a long hard look at yourselves whoever you are.
You could have blinded someone throwing your vapes!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 56
woodi147
September 17, 2023, 7:20pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +29
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from pontoonlew
All very predictable. I think we’ve built a very good midfield but it’s so frustrating how short we’ve left ourselves up top yet again.

It’s almost like every attacking player we sign is signed with defensive capabilities in mind, and we suffer going forward because of it. Half the time our wingers seem more worried about their defensive responsibilities that they repeatedly fail to create further up the pitch.

Today Wrexham weren’t even all that great but we didn’t lay a glove of them. Every single ball in the box was poor and we didn’t create a chance against a side who didn’t have a home clean sheet all season, conceding 13 goals in 4 home games.

I think we’ve improved, but it’s the same issues in the same areas yet again that I think are going to be our undoing.

Wrexham fans are saying its the best they have played in the last 20 years
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 56
GYinScuntland
September 17, 2023, 7:54pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from easypeersy
Absolutely DISGUSTED with the Grimsby supporters who thought it ok to throw missiles into the Wrexham crowd.
Shameful and dangerous behaviour giving our true supporters a bad name!
Take a long hard look at yourselves whoever you are.
You could have blinded someone throwing your vapes!

I'm starting to get a bit dejected with some of our lot at away games with their wanabee hooligan crap.
All billy big balderdash in the ground but heads down until safely on the choo choo.
Chester and Stockport stations once again giving it all the arms outstretched "we are Town" in front of pensioners, women and kids.
drunk up, coked up, bullies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 56
Tommy
September 17, 2023, 8:06pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Bigdog

I agree that we miss a bit of athleticism getting forward from full back, but as good as Efete can be at getting up into decent positions in the opposition half, he is pretty hopeless when he gets there and wastes countless crossing opportunities. Doesn't see a pass quick enough and can't put a decent cross in. Mullarkey put a great cross onto Rose's head at Bradford, I dread to think where the ball would've ended up had Efete lumped it in.

Not writing Michee off but that's how I see it at the moment.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 56
It Bites
September 17, 2023, 8:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,210
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from GYinScuntland

I'm starting to get a bit dejected with some of our lot at away games with their wanabee hooligan crap.
All billy big balderdash in the ground but heads down until safely on the choo choo.
Chester and Stockport stations once again giving it all the arms outstretched "we are Town" in front of pensioners, women and kids.
drunk up, coked up, bullies.

Simpletons mate . Exactly why I sit in the home end for away games
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 56
GYinScuntland
September 17, 2023, 9:50pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from It Bites

Simpletons mate . Exactly why I sit in the home end for away games

Can't fault you really fella.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 56
fellowfan
September 18, 2023, 10:47pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +1
Couple of fans giving it the big one amongst the Wrexham crowd walking away from the ground and towards railway station after the game. Must have annoyed one Wrexham supporter he walks up and decks one of them layed out. Wrexham fans non to pleased and tried to stop him legging it but got away just as the old bill turned up as usual gave a description to them but probably never find him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 56
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.