moosey_club
September 16, 2023, 7:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,252
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Maringer
By definition, a lot of retained possession is backwards and sideways. You can't kick the ball forwards all the time. Tiki taka was backwards and forwards and the likes of Man City often have the ball going forward to the wings before working it back into midfield multiple times before putting it into the box.

Now, I'm not claiming that we're anything like Barcelona or Man City, but keeping a high level of possession is certainly something which will stand us in good stead against teams which don't have expensive former internationals playing for them...

Having a great deal of possession in a game is a good trait, you are right....but if it only results in one sight of goal in 90 mins you need one fking deadly striker in the box....and if that is your game plan then letting 3 in at the other end isn't really a recipe for success.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 56
male private Nale
September 16, 2023, 7:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
All you whoppers calling mullin a girl private , I would love to have him in our team and if you disagree you don’t have a flipping clue
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 56
chipsandgravy
September 16, 2023, 8:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,611
Gold Stars: 37
Feeling more pragmatic than disappointed. Whilst I hate losing to anyone I have to be realistic in terms of what money can buy you. Thought at times we had good passages of play and overall looked like a decent footballing side until the last 10-15 minutes or so. They were quite happy to sit back and defend and hit us quickly knowing that they had decent options in the final third. We 'footballed' our way to the box with out ever really hurting them. We know the problems but losing two form players today didnt help so people should stop getting there knickers in such a twist and stop and think a little more. I was more hacked off over the late goals at Walsall and Bradford than I was today.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 56
The Caterham Mariner
September 16, 2023, 8:01pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +80
Gold Stars: 8
SAT 24th March 2024
Lets see how clever they are at BP...
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 56
lukeo
September 16, 2023, 8:15pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Quoted from male private Nale
All you whoppers calling mullin a girl private , I would love to have him in our team and if you disagree you don’t have a flipping clue

He's a genuinely lovely bloke off the pitch is the feeling I got when I watched the documentary, proper family man. But he's a diving sharp object or atleast falls down very easily... Just because my opinion of him is this it doesn't mean I wouldn't want him at Grimsby.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 56
rancido
September 16, 2023, 8:21pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from lukeo

He's a genuinely lovely bloke off the pitch is the feeling I got when I watched the documentary, proper family man. But he's a diving sharp object or atleast falls down very easily... Just because my opinion of him is this it doesn't mean I wouldn't want him at Grimsby.

Jack Lester springs to mind when it comes to falling down easily but we didn't mind that because we benefited from it.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 56
It Bites
September 16, 2023, 8:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,168
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from rancido

Jack Lester springs to mind when it comes to falling down easily but we didn't mind that because we benefited from it.

Jack used to do my head in . He’d of scored loads more if he’d stayed on his feet
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 56
gtfc_chris
September 16, 2023, 8:57pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
I could only watch from home today and tuned in after 40 minutes. From what I managed to see it was very much the same as we've seen all season.

I think we keep getting better and better at controlling the game with the ball. The quality of our possession has been fantastic in my opinion but we're still yet to figure out how best to turn it into chances.

We got into a few good crossing positions in the second half but I don't think one would have led to a goal if we carried on til Xmas. The best ball in was the one that fizzed low across the 6 yard box, but the closest player was Clifton around the penalty spot.

In truth it's disappointing to lose the game, maybe more so the actual scoreline, 3-0 sounds worse than our general performance suggests. We knew it was going to be tough and in truth I didn't expect anything from the game so I was more hoping to see a competitive performance to show we can match those teams tipped to be up there. It might seem a little lacking in ambition but progression is still progression even if it may have limitations at times.

What I hope we will start to work on now we've proven our dominance against two decent sides is progressing with more pace. We have lovely patterns of play but they're steadily built and we don't capitalise on any space in front to exploit and allow the opposition to get organised.

I did notice when the league table popped up that we've now played 5 of the top 6 in our 8 games. Its been widely discussed how tough our opening fixtures were but that just cements how difficult they've been. It can serve something as a rationalisation but it won't really mean a lot if we can't get a string of results together when the fixtures turn in our favour a little.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 56
Northbank Mariner
September 16, 2023, 9:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
That game was won and lost in the final of the opponents box...
They put good balls in, got on the end of them and scored, we put balls in the box, woeful crosses at best and not once did we look like a threat.
Yes, we play some good football but we are toothless, we don't flood the box, look at Wrexhams last goal, scored by a midfielder attacking the six yard line.
I'm not sure how we sort this issue out tbh, is it the way we train or are coached, the personnel or a combination of both...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 56
fellowfan
September 16, 2023, 9:39pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +1
At the game if we don't improve mid table at best. Wrexham with their resources will spend big in January just to seal the deal. That Fletcher guy for them hasn't had proper training session since end of last season, he had more ability in the 20 minutes he played at the end than any of ours all season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.