6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
September 17, 2023, 1:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,724
Gold Stars: 237
Same old same old, toothless, and creatively lacking going forward. It was the same time and again, get the ball to the Winger/Wingback they put in a poor cross that is either short, too long or when there's only one in the box and repeat.

Conceded goals the same way we always seem to concede, one waiting for the second ball to come in instead of pushing out and stopping it and not following midfielders in from the edge of the box because we've all been drawn into the 6-yard box.

We did everything far too slowly, every time we attacked, the player had already gone before the pass was made or we let Wrexham get back and regroup while we pinged the ball between Conteh, Maher, and Rodgers.

All those saying we had possession is all well and good but all that did was stop Wrexham from putting more past us. We can have 60, 70, or 80 percent of the possession as we tap it around the back 4, but if we don't do anything with it, it's pointless having it.

I thought the players let Hurst down yesterday. I said about 5 minutes into the second half, they didn't look up for it and they'd come out with their heads down, and not up for putting up a fight.

That last point is an interesting one because Hurst mentioned that in his post match interview. That is a bit concerning to be honest as we put so much emphasis on getting the right characters in, to effectively coast in the second half is not on. I suppose the players themselves know we don't have a striker or enough forward power to get us back into the game but even so.

I very much agree about the possession stats as well but posters know my position on stats which does not find universal agreement on here!
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 56
September 17, 2023, 1:41pm
Guest User
Some people say that one of our problems is that we don't move the ball fast enough when in possession.  This then gives the opposition time to set up and defend their goal.  Having seen 99% of our games live, I tend to agree.  The question is why?  Do we not have enough players who have the quality to pick out a pass and execute it quickly and accurately?  Are the team playing as per instructions?  Are players not getting forward and finding space to receive a quick pass?

I watched Brighton beat Man U last night on MotD, and they had 3 men in the Penalty area for the 1st goal, 4 for the second goal and 5 for their 3rd goal, and they were the away team!  Now, obviously they are a very good Premier League side and we are League Two, however I think we could make more effort to get the ball forwards quicker and attempt to get more bodies in the box too.  Some might say, well they are in the Premier League so should be fitter than our squad, maybe so, but we are in League Two playing against teams with a fitness level probably the same as, or near to ours.

I'm not a Professional Football Manager, but my eyes see how slowly we build up play, with some exceptions, and also see the lack of players getting into the box when attacking.  As I said earlier, I don't know if this is by design or a lack of quality passers in the team and players not being able to get into the box and on the end of crosses because of a lack of pace or vision.  Just my opinion!
Reply: 41 - 56
rancido
September 17, 2023, 2:03pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Bigdog
I know we're split as a fanbase on this, but a recurring theme has been attacking in the final third. I like Mullarkey a lot as a defender, but we do miss Efete's energy going forward and his willingness to get into the box. At the very least he's another body defenders have to keep an eye on and frees up our forward players a little more. Every time I've seen us play this season we look unenergetic and static out wide. Mullarkey, who was poor yesterday, is a safer bet definitely, but as it showed at Wrexham, going ultrasafe doesn't guarantee clean sheets..

You make a good point about Mullarkey v Efete. However, IMO , Mullarkey is a much better defender and more suited to the full back role. Like so many things as regards comparing players, it's all down to individual opinions and ultimately it is the managers opinion that dictates who plays.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 56
rancido
September 17, 2023, 2:11pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 123614
Some people say that one of our problems is that we don't move the ball fast enough when in possession.  This then gives the opposition time to set up and defend their goal.  Having seen 99% of our games live, I tend to agree.  The question is why?  Do we not have enough players who have the quality to pick out a pass and execute it quickly and accurately?  Are the team playing as per instructions?  Are players not getting forward and finding space to receive a quick pass?

I watched Brighton beat Man U last night on MotD, and they had 3 men in the Penalty area for the 1st goal, 4 for the second goal and 5 for their 3rd goal, and they were the away team!  Now, obviously they are a very good Premier League side and we are League Two, however I think we could make more effort to get the ball forwards quicker and attempt to get more bodies in the box too.  Some might say, well they are in the Premier League so should be fitter than our squad, maybe so, but we are in League Two playing against teams with a fitness level probably the same as, or near to ours.

I'm not a Professional Football Manager, but my eyes see how slowly we build up play, with some exceptions, and also see the lack of players getting into the box when attacking.  As I said earlier, I don't know if this is by design or a lack of quality passers in the team and players not being able to get into the box and on the end of crosses because of a lack of pace or vision.  Just my opinion!

You make some good points but I don't agree about the difference in fitness levels. The coaches at all clubs have access to the latest fitness exercises and dietary regimes to get the best out of their players. Premier League players are not super humans but they are better footballers because of their skills and the ability to think " football" coupled with following the manager and coaching staffs instructions.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 56
IlkleyMariner
September 17, 2023, 2:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
If you want to see how to score, just watch the three Leeds United goals v Millwall today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 56
wuffing
September 17, 2023, 2:16pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +838
Gold Stars: 38
Lets hope we just had an off day!!

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 56
Yoda
September 17, 2023, 2:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,151
Gold Stars: 71
wrexham up front are pretty good in defence they are awful.
Swindon put 5 past them and we couldn’t muster 1
Let’s be honest Mullin and Palmer are gone if they go up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 56
golfer
September 17, 2023, 3:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,441
Gold Stars: 116
Over the last few seasons I have noticed that our players are on the small size and easily get pushed aside. A good big one is better than a small one. Size does matter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 56
The Caterham Mariner
September 17, 2023, 4:19pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +89
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from golfer
Over the last few seasons I have noticed that our players are on the small size and easily get pushed aside. A good big one is better than a small one. Size does matter.

Yes indeed thats a true observation you need some big lads in the box to knock the headers in etc ,gain superiority  in the air .Not that i want to see a team of "Peter Crouches" nor a team of Raheem Sterlings ...Something  in the middle PH please

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 56
Spurn boy
September 17, 2023, 5:39pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,240
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Bigdog
I know we're split as a fanbase on this, but a recurring theme has been attacking in the final third. I like Mullarkey a lot as a defender, but we do miss Efete's energy going forward and his willingness to get into the box. At the very least he's another body defenders have to keep an eye on and frees up our forward players a little more. Every time I've seen us play this season we look unenergetic and static out wide. Mullarkey, who was poor yesterday, is a safer bet definitely, but as it showed at Wrexham, going ultrasafe doesn't guarantee clean sheets..

I know that Hurst would never entertain the idea but I would have loved to have seen Efete been given a chance up front in one of those Micky mouse cup games, just 45 minutes to show what he can do as a no 9 . Playing as a wingback he does get into some good forward positions but often gets caught offside, he does show a fair bit of skill within the opposition box and has a couple of goals to his name. Ok it’s Fantasy Football but you never know.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.