6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Hagrid
September 16, 2023, 5:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,421
Gold Stars: 534
Beaten by a better side with much bigger resources.

We pass the ball well up to the box, then just fizzles out and i fear the lack of squad depth will see us fall short this season.

Opposition were not pretty but they are mightily effective at what they do and will be up there.

Many times we got in good positions and yet overhit the cross or didnt have enough men in the box.

Thought Gnahou and Pyke did okay in fairness, and Khan looked sharp when he came on.

I hate losing, but I didnt expect anything today, especially not when i saw the line up.

Mullins a girl private but whoever chucked the bottle at him when he walked past the town fans, have a word with yourself
Logged Offline
Private Message
TownSNAFU5
September 16, 2023, 5:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
At last we won the key game at Wrexham.

We were on a hiding to nothing today with a weakened team.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 56
Mayaman
September 16, 2023, 5:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
I thought Conteh had a good game.  

When we do find space, we don't attack with pace.  Compare our forays into the final third compared to Wrexham's .  By the time we have made a decision, the opportunity has gone.   Always too cautious.  On a plus note, it was good to see Otis back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 56
TAGG
September 16, 2023, 5:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,957
Gold Stars: 126
Bad defending for the first two considering we had 3 CBs
I don't think we were that bad today but game after game we are not good enough in the final third and I can't see us getting any better with the resource we have.
Also we seem to have a team of midgets compered to most teams in this league.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 56
pontoonlew
September 16, 2023, 5:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,038
Gold Stars: 177
All very predictable. I think we’ve built a very good midfield but it’s so frustrating how short we’ve left ourselves up top yet again.

It’s almost like every attacking player we sign is signed with defensive capabilities in mind, and we suffer going forward because of it. Half the time our wingers seem more worried about their defensive responsibilities that they repeatedly fail to create further up the pitch.

Today Wrexham weren’t even all that great but we didn’t lay a glove of them. Every single ball in the box was poor and we didn’t create a chance against a side who didn’t have a home clean sheet all season, conceding 13 goals in 4 home games.

I think we’ve improved, but it’s the same issues in the same areas yet again that I think are going to be our undoing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 56
barralad
September 16, 2023, 5:53pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Before the game we were saying we could understand why Hurst went with his formation given the aerial threat Wrexham posed which must make the manner in which we conceded both first half goals particularly galling for Hurst. Waterfall seems to be the fall guy but all three were culpable for me. Shipping goals took all the pressure off Wrexham's "dodgy" defence.
Second half was a non-event from a Town point of view with a pretty uncomfortable sense of inevitability about the result. Eastwood made a couple of first class saves but being brutally honest it was men v boys.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 56
MuddyWaters
September 16, 2023, 5:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from barralad
Before the game we were saying we could understand why Hurst went with his formation given the aerial threat Wrexham posed which must make the manner in which we conceded both first half goals particularly galling for Hurst. Waterfall seems to be the fall guy but all three were culpable for me. Shipping goals took all the pressure off Wrexham's "dodgy" defence.
Second half was a non-event from a Town point of view with a pretty uncomfortable sense of inevitability about the result. Eastwood made a couple of first class saves but being brutally honest it was men v boys.

It’s Waterfall because we play deep to accommodate his lack of pace and then we fail to press. In turn that makes the energy of Clifton and Holohan superfluous.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 56
fishcake63
September 16, 2023, 6:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
But we was just as bad second half with your so called high press which for me doesn't exist we was pinned back by a far superior outfit & truth be known it should have been a cricket score by the end
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 56
fishcake63
September 16, 2023, 6:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Also like to add goals they scored all avoidable but they have money we can only dream of was only a matter of time before they got better , beat by lge 2 champions today so not too dispondent
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 56
barralad
September 16, 2023, 6:21pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It’s Waterfall because we play deep to accommodate his lack of pace and then we fail to press. In turn that makes the energy of Clifton and Holohan superfluous.

It's all about opinions but I couldn't see any evidence that we played "deeper". Our best moments in the game came from Conteh picking up the ball inside their half and using both flanks. One such attack resulted in their lad getting a booking when Rodgers of all people got well forward. Both goals (which is what I was on about) came from crosses unchallenged.
I'm afraid I don't understand the comment about Clifton  and Holohan being superfluous. Both saw a lot of the ball but neither were able to make the best of it.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 56
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.