7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
September 9, 2023, 8:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Swop the 2 halves around and we would see the match in a much better light.  We would have improved a lot. In reality we tailed off. When expectations were raised after the first half and goal.

2 good goals.  Is the opposition scoring  from one shot good or bad?  Generally good for us in the long run I think.

More subs would have helped given the heat and more frequent Bradford attacks.  With the new time management rules and a drinks break,  there could easily have been another 8-10 mins added on.  This makes it beneficial to use more subs when players are tired and making more mistakes.

Some criticism of our players for their goal.  The opportunity to score would have been avoided if Conteh had not lost the ball in the halfway line/touchline.  He tried to be too ambitious very late in the game.  I am sure he will learn from this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 69
IlkleyMariner
September 9, 2023, 8:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
I’m a big fan of Harry, but tbh hardly noticed him today
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 69
IlkleyMariner
September 9, 2023, 9:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,012
Gold Stars: 69
Btw had a chat with Gary Croft today. Nice bloke. JT missed the match due to an op.

I’m old enough to remember his debut for Town.  He is young enough to remember it too….
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 69
September 9, 2023, 9:10pm
Guest User
Quoted from headingly_mariner
In addition to me thinking we are class.

I was sad to hear the sectarian nonsense at half time. flipping the pope and the the IRA couldn't be further from our radar..

Words fail me.
Reply: 43 - 69
pontoonlew
September 9, 2023, 9:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
I’m a big fan of Harry, but tbh hardly noticed him today

Or the majority of the season tbf, we really needed his energy today in those conditions and he was nowhere to be seen
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 69
Kris2
September 9, 2023, 10:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from headingly_mariner
In addition to me thinking we are class.

I was sad to hear the sectarian nonsense at half time. flipping the pope and the the IRA couldn't be further from our radar.  And the Tommy Robinson chants, you absolute whoppers.

Silly teenagers and adults that should know better.  You show us up, be better.

It's unfortunate but some of the travelling fans are wannabe Neo-Nazi white power types and it's been going on for a while. Seen the photos of town fans on the road holding up White Power flags and doing Nazi salutes which is hilarious considering the majority of our goals have come from an African player. Clearly not a great deal of white power in our squad, but they can be rainbow coloured for all I care if they do the business on the pitch.

Also you're not bloody Rangers fans, you come from a small town across the river from Hull. You're not from the mean streets of Glasgow and you will never be that hard.  
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 69
Norseman
September 9, 2023, 11:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from LondonMariner43
The consensus seems to be that Bradford were rubbish and we should have thrashed them.  There must be a reason why they are unbeaten in 10 or so home games? My read of it was that we played very well in the first half to dominate play but Bradford were still defensively strong and got some important interceptions in.  Second half they came out fighting and we dug deep and did well to get into the game eventually.  Bradford scored a good goal.  

Probably agree about the subs but the sort of player we needed was someone physical to impose more in midfield - Green maybe if he wasn’t injured.  For me the mistake was not having Khouri on the bench - he’s shown he can come on an impose himself at the end of a game - did he pick up a knock vs Barnsley?

It’s frustrating that we are giving away leads but from another perspective we are the only side in L2 that hasn’t gone behind first in a game.  That’s a welcome change from last season where we often went 0-1 down before starting to play.  So far, we’ve shown we can compete against the best teams in the league and as this squad continues to develop and players like Pyke, Wilson, Khan get full fitness, I think we will be contenders.

The reason they are unbeaten is that at full strength they are a very good side .Today they were severely weakened with at least 5 regular starters missing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 69
Tommy
September 9, 2023, 11:40pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Only managed to watch the latter half of the 1st half today (from about 20 minutes in until Half Time), so I'm not claiming to be qualified to pass judgement on the game/performance today.

But having watched that period of the game and seeing how completely dominant we were, I'm disappointed we didn't come home with 3pts today.

When I had to stop watching at half time, I thought to myself - Last season we played well away at Bradford first half only to sit back and surrender the initiative in the second and eventually throw away the points. They upped their intensity and their crowd got involved in the game and we wilted somewhat that day. Surely we'd not let the same happen again today is what I thought.

Obviously gutted to check the full time score later today to see that we didn't hold on and read that we maybe could've been more proactive in preventing Bradford getting back into it.

Continues a steady but unspectacular start for us. We're clearly not a million miles off being a decent side but we have to learn from some of these games soon before we drift away to being a midtable side again. Hopeful that we click into gear and become more creative/ruthless in the coming weeks.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 69
HarrogateMariner
September 10, 2023, 12:39am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
Overall I thought it was an enjoyable game, not a lot of goal mouth action but the way we controlled the first half is encouraging. You can clearly see the way Hurst wants us to play this season which is a different approach to last season. Taking that into account and all the new players it is going to take a bit of time for everything to click. But I do think we have a squad that can do very well.

Thought no one had a bad game today apart from maybe Eisa who was maybe trying a bit too hard to impress against his former employees. Personally thought Holohan was excellent, especially first half. Maher impressed me as well, think he has gone up a level since last season. Rose very good, right pain for defenders. Rest all good as well, I don't really see a weak link in terms of personal- Amos was targeted after his yellow but up until then thought he had played well.

I just have a feeling this season our home form is going to be far better than our away, so a point at Bradford could end up a very good point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 69
The Caterham Mariner
September 10, 2023, 6:42am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +92
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from 140381

Words fail me.

Indeed ...

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 69
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.