7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
CSLM
September 8, 2023, 7:12pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +642
Gold Stars: 12

It's like VAR, the more you try to make sense of it the worse it gets. It was and always will be a very simple game, football. Score more than the opposition and you're laughing.

Yep very true, I am torn on VAR.

Definitely means more decisions are correct but I do not like the way it takes away the spontaneity of being a football fan.
Some of the VAR decisions recently have been beyond horrendous.
The toe nail/armpit being offside after 5 minutes of deliberation is just painful.
Personally I much prefer how we are down here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 63
Posh Harry
September 8, 2023, 8:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,363
Gold Stars: 35
All this talk of systems and stats but nothing from Golly?

Must be on holiday with no Wi-Fi.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 63
forza ivano
September 8, 2023, 11:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,209
Gold Stars: 265

Your argument was that a team with a very low xG couldn't finish in the top 3. But if they had an incredibly good defence they could.

my immediate thought was Greece, when they won the Euros would be the ones to look at. Arsenal were almost unbeatable but very parsimonious.There have been a fair few promotion winning sides who scored very few goals, but relied on a tight defence.

tbh, i quite like stats, but xG to me, seems like a load of bollox
ball hits the post and goes in, next one hits the post but stays out, 3rd one hits the post, hits the keeper on the rebound and goes in. Screws your stats straight away
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 63
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
September 9, 2023, 3:08am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +848
Gold Stars: 118
How on earth did football survive all those years before statisticians got involved?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 63
bradzmilne
September 9, 2023, 6:35am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,429
Gold Stars: 30
Had a late drop out.

If anyone needs a ticket today drop me a PM

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 63
September 9, 2023, 7:14am
Guest User
Think I'll give this one another outing...

Quoted from 137
A league been won by the team scoring the fewest goals on two occasions.

In 1998 AIK won the Swedish title, despite scoring 25 goals in 26 games:

https://www.rsssf.org/tablesz/zwed98.html

Aduana Stars romped to the Ghanaian championship in 2009-10, despite scoring only 19 goals in their 30 games – winning the title thanks to their head-to-head record against Ashanti Gold (rather predictably the Stars won one of their meetings 1-0, while the other was a 0-0 draw):

https://www.rsssf.org/tablesg/gha2010.html

Reply: 55 - 63
lew chaterleys lover
September 9, 2023, 7:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,731
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from forza ivano

my immediate thought was Greece, when they won the Euros would be the ones to look at. Arsenal were almost unbeatable but very parsimonious.There have been a fair few promotion winning sides who scored very few goals, but relied on a tight defence.

tbh, i quite like stats, but xG to me, seems like a load of bollox
ball hits the post and goes in, next one hits the post but stays out, 3rd one hits the post, hits the keeper on the rebound and goes in. Screws your stats straight away

Parsimonious and balderdash in one post gets a star from me!
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 63
moosey_club
September 9, 2023, 11:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from moosey_club
I thought I could detect the body language of a little fib in there.....could get a suprise on the team sheet I think.

Told you there was a suprise coming....could see it in his facial expressions.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 63
MarinerMal
September 9, 2023, 3:14pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +783
Gold Stars: 17

It's like VAR, the more you try to make sense of it the worse it gets. It was and always will be a very simple game, football. Score more than the opposition and you're laughing.

It is nothing like VAR, VAR was brought in for absolutes and that is not what stats do. But the likelyhood of scoring is what xG shows and when compared to the opposition xG , what the chances were that you would score more than the opposition and were laughing.

It is just an insight to how the game played out and with that information you could conceivably increase your goals scored, if you use the information correctly.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 63
lew chaterleys lover
September 9, 2023, 5:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,731
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from MarinerMal

It is nothing like VAR, VAR was brought in for absolutes and that is not what stats do. But the likelyhood of scoring is what xG shows and when compared to the opposition xG , what the chances were that you would score more than the opposition and were laughing.

It is just an insight to how the game played out and with that information you could conceivably increase your goals scored, if you use the information correctly.

VAR is not for absolutes though is it, otherwise managers, players,pundits would not argue about far too many VAR decisions would they? Apologies wouldn't need to be given for wrong decisions.

Regarding xg stats you cannot score more goals by using them because they relate to that individual match, which has finished.

The next match is completely different to the last one so they are no good then either. The opposition is different, the quality is different  the weather is different, the venue may be different and the officials are different.

If xg stats were any good, you would have thought Hurst would have got the message by now.

Stats are interesting but interesting froth.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst pre-Bradford

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.