7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Rodley Mariner
September 8, 2023, 3:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177

It does, but we're talking stats not history.

The probability of winning 46 games 1-0 is statistically very, very small. But that doesn't change my argument.

I'm not really sure I know what your argument is. Are we just doing semantics?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 63
MarinerMal
September 8, 2023, 3:16pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +782
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Poojah

It’s bang in the middle of a “half-chance” and a “good chance”.

So how do we divide them up? Given that Madeleymariner's equation was "4 decent chances and scored 1 (25pc)"

But now we also have "half chance" and "good chance" (that need defining too). So if we scored one goal in 4 "decent chances" to give us 0.25 how do we include the "half chances" and "good chances".

It is starting to sound very much like how eXpected Goals is worked out.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 63
Rodley Mariner
September 8, 2023, 3:18pm
Special Brew Drinker

No, semantics is about words.

I'm not posting in code.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 63
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 8, 2023, 3:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,280
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I'm not really sure I know what your argument is. Are we just doing semantics?

Your argument was that a team with a very low xG couldn't finish in the top 3. But if they had an incredibly good defence they could.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 63
Rodley Mariner
September 8, 2023, 3:22pm
Special Brew Drinker

Your argument was that a team with a very low xG couldn't finish in the top 3. But if they had an incredibly good defence they could.

I was implying that it is exceptionally unlikely. Which it is. It is of course possible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 63
MarinerMal
September 8, 2023, 3:28pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +782
Gold Stars: 17

There's every prayer if their defence is the best in the league. If your xG is 1 goal per game you could absolutely walk the league by winning 46 games 1-0.

Statistically speaking.

Not quite true. xG is just the amount of goals you are expected to score. So all it would mean is you would be expected to score 1 goal each game. It doesn't take into account your oppositions xG and obviously just because your xG is 1 it doesn't mean you will score, either.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 63
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 8, 2023, 3:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I was implying that it is exceptionally unlikely. Which it is. It is of course possible.

I agree 100%

This thread has been about statistics not the real world. It is statistically possible that a team with a v low xG can finish in the top 3.

We all know, as a result of watching a gazillion football games, that it is very very unlikely. But it is statistically possible.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 63
lew chaterleys lover
September 8, 2023, 3:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,731
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from MarinerMal

It's not "sh1te" but it is often misinterpreted. It helps identify how many and the quality of chances a team created and best when used in conjunction with other stats. It is not meant to be definitive.

As for not taking into account the leading scorer not being available, that would depend if his replacement was as good or not. If not XG would likely go down so in effect, this would be taken into account.

Statistic now drives football at the professional level. Town used to identify transfer targets this season. The likes of Brentford have done extremely well using similar methods.

Many teams now employ teams of statisticians, especially at the top level.

Without mathematics, there’s nothing you can do. Everything around you is mathematics. Everything around you is numbers.
— Shakuntala Devi

On field stats mean diddly squat. You can have 10 really good chances and lose. You can allow the opposition all of the possession and allow them numerable chances and win. There is every conceivable permutation in between and reams of stats about it, but the only things that matter is goals scored and conceded, the result and the league placing.

As someone said the rest is froth; interesting froth I grant you but froth nonetheless.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 63
BobbyCummingsTackle
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from MarinerMal

Not quite true. xG is just the amount of goals you are expected to score. So all it would mean is you would be expected to score 1 goal each game. It doesn't take into account your oppositions xG and obviously just because your xG is 1 it doesn't mean you will score, either.

There's another factor, what your expected goals conceded is (I don't know (or care) what the abbreviation is).

If your xG is 1 per game but your expected number of goals conceded is 0.5 you will win the league. Statistically.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 63
devs
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,982
Gold Stars: 30
Whatever...
We don't create enough penalty box chances and can't keep relying on worldies
Last Saturday was more normal - great header from set piece and nice move in the box with good finish
We need more 'scruffy' goals!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst pre-Bradford

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.