7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
EvilFish
September 8, 2023, 3:51pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +597
Gold Stars: 52
Why can't we keep relying on worldies? Be great if we won the league with amazing goals.

I think sometimes we try to be too clever with our shots actually. League 2 goalies aren't that great, just belt it at them, you'll score plenty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 63
Poojah
September 8, 2023, 3:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,611
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from EvilFish
Why can't we keep relying on worldies? Be great if we won the league with amazing goals.

I think sometimes we try to be too clever with our shots actually. League 2 goalies aren't that great, just belt it at them, you'll score plenty.

Add to that, teams taking specific action to block long range opportunities from the likes of Eisa creates room elsewhere that wouldn’t otherwise exist. To position those goals as some sort of negative is a nonsense.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 63
CSLM
September 8, 2023, 4:51pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +644
Gold Stars: 12

On field stats mean diddly squat. You can have 10 really good chances and lose. You can allow the opposition all of the possession and allow them numerable chances and win. There is every conceivable permutation in between and reams of stats about it, but the only things that matter is goals scored and conceded, the result and the league placing.

As someone said the rest is froth; interesting froth I grant you but froth nonetheless.

That is true but if all of the games are like that you probably won't win that many of them.

I think the problem with xg is that it doesn't take into account the state of the game. If you are winning and comfortable you are unlikely to create as many chances as when you are losing.
Saying that I guess you must have created some chances to go in front Haha, it's a minefield.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 63
lew chaterleys lover
September 8, 2023, 5:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,732
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from CSLM

That is true but if all of the games are like that you probably won't win that many of them.

I think the problem with xg is that it doesn't take into account the state of the game. If you are winning and comfortable you are unlikely to create as many chances as when you are losing.
Saying that I guess you must have created some chances to go in front Haha, it's a minefield.

It's like VAR, the more you try to make sense of it the worse it gets. It was and always will be a very simple game, football. Score more than the opposition and you're laughing.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 63
moosey_club
September 8, 2023, 5:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I was implying that it is exceptionally unlikely. Which it is. It is of course possible.

In a distant galaxy and time I can hear Mr Spock nodding approvingly with a wry smug smile on his face.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 63
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 8, 2023, 5:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,282
Gold Stars: 306

It's like VAR, the more you try to make sense of it the worse it gets. It was and always will be a very simple game, football. Score more than the opposition and you're laughing.

Not on here you're not, there'll always be something they find to moan about.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 63
BrMarin
September 8, 2023, 6:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +95
Gold Stars: 8
There is one stat that is more important than any other:

Grimsby 9 points
Bradford 8 points

Everything else is froth.

League position is more important IMO. Points per game might give a more accurate representation of each team's merits for a particular match unfortunately these don't factor in form, injuries etc. I think we have also played more home games than Bradford 🙂

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 63
chaos33
September 8, 2023, 6:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,938
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
That's the point though. The team with the lower xG could definitely win tomorrow but there is not a prayer that a team with the lowest xG over the season then finish in the top 3 of the league. Those who want to discredit it always overstate it's supposed importance to do so. It's one measure. It's not as important as points or goals scored. It needs context and understanding. That doesn't mean it's shite or balderdash though.

Exactly

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 63
ginnywings
September 8, 2023, 6:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
You could statistically win the league by scoring 20 odd goals.Win 20 odd games 1-0 and draw a load 0-0. Job done.

You could also win the league with a massive goal deficit. Win 30 games 1-0 and lose the rest 10-0.

All these things are possible but highly unlikely.

We do know how important stats are though. Many a recent successful side has got there using stats to find value in players that others didn't spot, and all clubs use these stats now, even us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 63
Rodley Mariner
September 8, 2023, 6:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from ginnywings
You could statistically win the league by scoring 20 odd goals.Win 20 odd games 1-0 and draw a load 0-0. Job done.

You could also win the league with a massive goal deficit. Win 30 games 1-0 and lose the rest 10-0.

All these things are possible but highly unlikely.

We do know how important stats are though. Many a recent successful side has got there using stats to find value in players that others didn't spot, and all clubs use these stats now, even us.

No. It's meaningless fluff. That's why no Premier League team spend money on teams of analysts and why clubs like Brentford and Brighton keep signing duds.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hurst pre-Bradford

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.