Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Missing in action...
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Missing in action...

This thread currently has 5,898 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
September 3, 2023, 12:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360

Not missing, just busy after the game yesterday. All I saw was another game proving my point. When Hurst fights his base instincts not to defend from the 6-yard box and instead we attack, harass, and press other teams in this league we look like and are often the better team. Thats now Salford, moments in the Notts game, first 20 minutes of Mansfield, second half at Walsall, and now the Gillingham game all proving my point.

You do know that teams can’t spend the entire game attacking? That other teams are good and also have effective attacking players? That L2 is ultra competitive? That we don’t have a devine right to win every game?

I’m not sure you have a point. Or, if you do, that anyone who’s watched professional football for a while would be able to assign it any credibility. What is it - Hurst is too defensive? Right. No goals conceded at home. One of the better goal differences in the division. Only lost 1 game, and that was to the top team by 1 goal. Goals spread around the team. Top half after 6. 1 point off the play off positions. 3 off top 3. Yeah it’s just not working, whatever it is. Wish we were Tranmere. Or Doncaster….etc….

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 42
MANCMARINER
September 3, 2023, 1:14pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +66
Gold Stars: 2
I don’t even consider them as fans. They never congratulate the team or the manager when we win, they just spout constant negativity and criticism towards the management and owners.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 42
lee65
September 3, 2023, 1:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
I thought yesterday was great, nobody had a bad game and we could’ve won by more
I guess I’m generally a “happy clapper” though I feel it’s more of being a “pragmatic clapper”

As many have commented, even in Lg2 the money situation is just sad and ridiculous, and though our new owners have committed a lot in regards of finance and improvements to the club they are not mega wealthy compared to some (though they do have the club in their blood, and not sure you can put a value on that)

Back to the game, I was still nervously watching the scoreboard from 60 mins onwards as, despite being well in control, you never know what can happen, couple of mistakes, awful ref decision etc. (though should say I thought the ref yesterday was good, and I liked the way he talked calmly to the players to explain his decisions)

A very enjoyable day, and how often can you watch football in shorts at BP? (I did have my jeans in the car of course just in case 😉)

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 42
sonofmadeleymariner
September 3, 2023, 1:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37

Quoted from chaos33
You do know that teams can’t spend the entire game attacking?

Man City would suggest otherwise and whilst I will concede we are not Man City, attacking doesn't just mean having a go at their goal.

What I've always said is we attack the opposition's position when they're in possession, don't let them pass the ball as they want, press and harass them, and force their hand. We all know it's rare to find a CB in this division who's composed with the ball at their feet. Notts is the perfect example of that. When we did press their CBs they just pointlessly hoofed the ball as they weren't composed enough to pick out the man on the wing as they were when we sat back, Mansfield did the same to us in the Cup game and the second half of the second game they forced us to hurry and our passing (which isn't great anyway) fell to excrement. If you put pressure on most teams in this division top of the table, bottom of it it doesn't matter you will force them to make errors, or we can do what Hurst likes to do and let teams pick out their passes and wonder why we let teams back into games.

Quoted from chaos33
That we don’t have a devine right to win every game?

Obviously some games teams are just going to be better than us, individual errors happen (Walsall), and you will just lose games sometimes don't see an issue with that. My point has always been in these games we failed to win and lost so far have all come from Hurst setting us up to fail.

Quoted from chaos33
Only lost 1 game

I think you'll find it's more like 3 wins dropped from winning positions after either Hurst started with his negative 10 men in the 6-yard box or finished in the same manner. We've won the two games we attacked for 90 minutes in my argument is clearly made by the results. Heck Hurst almost won me over last time we were in the conference, we played high-pressing attack football most of that season, I thought he'd seen the light, then last season happened and it was a return to Hurst ball.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 42
denni266
September 3, 2023, 1:49pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +705
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from MANCMARINER
I don’t even consider them as fans. They never congratulate the team or the manager when we win, they just spout constant negativity and criticism towards the management and owners.

Dont give a monkeys left one what you think If your happy with dull defencive football thats ok with me . But dont say i am not a fan . I grew up under the old lights ,Helped put bolts and things in bags ready to be pulled up the ones we have now . Played kick ball in the ground nearly every day with players like Charli wright Jimmy pennington  Graham Taylor etc. Junior club member for years back in the 60s. Had more season tickets than i can remember. Seen it all and we are better as a club than where we are now. And if i dont like what i see i will say so and alwase have done. If pepole are happy with what is put in front of them thats ok with me but dont expect things to improve . This is a forum everyone thinks different  and has a right to do so. I am away on holiday not missing in action . Thanks for your comment tho
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 42
sonofmadeleymariner
September 3, 2023, 1:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from MANCMARINER

Far from it, I'm often praising the players and ownership (and often get red crosses when I do what does that say about the fan base), I just don't see the rainbows shining out of Hurst's behind that most on here seem to believe

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 42
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
September 3, 2023, 1:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 554
Quoted from denni266
Awwww  its nice to be missed  and stalked it seems...  On holiday  but dont worry i will be back soon. Anyway not a bad win for once. But so far its keeping the rose tints happy to have won a game. See soon   Mwaaaah

Jesus. I dread to think what you get up to on holiday.

Days 1 and 2 - lock yourself in your travel tavern, with GB News on loop, plucking out pubes. Store the little curlies in a mini leather coin pouch.

Days 3-7 - terrorise local hoteliers and restaurateurs by dipping into your pube pouch and sprinkling the little curlies into every dish and shower cubicle you can find. Moan and whine until you get a discount. Rinse (pluck, sprinkle), repeat.

Return home moaning the locals are dirty and don’t like it up ‘em.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 42
headingly_mariner
September 3, 2023, 1:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113

Man City would suggest otherwise and whilst I will concede we are not Man City, attacking doesn't just mean having a go at their goal.

What I've always said is we attack the opposition's position when they're in possession, don't let them pass the ball as they want, press and harass them, and force their hand. We all know it's rare to find a CB in this division who's composed with the ball at their feet. Notts is the perfect example of that. When we did press their CBs they just pointlessly hoofed the ball as they weren't composed enough to pick out the man on the wing as they were when we sat back, Mansfield did the same to us in the Cup game and the second half of the second game they forced us to hurry and our passing (which isn't great anyway) fell to excrement. If you put pressure on most teams in this division top of the table, bottom of it it doesn't matter you will force them to make errors, or we can do what Hurst likes to do and let teams pick out their passes and wonder why we let teams back into games.

Obviously some games teams are just going to be better than us, individual errors happen (Walsall), and you will just lose games sometimes don't see an issue with that. My point has always been in these games we failed to win and lost so far have all come from Hurst setting us up to fail.

I think you'll find it's more like 3 wins dropped from winning positions after either Hurst started with his negative 10 men in the 6-yard box or finished in the same manner. We've won the two games we attacked for 90 minutes in my argument is clearly made by the results. Heck Hurst almost won me over last time we were in the conference, we played high-pressing attack football most of that season, I thought he'd seen the light, then last season happened and it was a return to Hurst ball.

You should be in the dugout Pep.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 42
MuddyWaters
September 3, 2023, 2:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from denni266

Dont give a monkeys left one what you think If your happy with dull defencive football thats ok with me . But dont say i am not a fan . I grew up under the old lights ,Helped put bolts and things in bags ready to be pulled up the ones we have now . Played kick ball in the ground nearly every day with players like Charli wright Jimmy pennington  Graham Taylor etc. Junior club member for years back in the 60s. Had more season tickets than i can remember. Seen it all and we are better as a club than where we are now. And if i dont like what i see i will say so and alwase have done. If pepole are happy with what is put in front of them thats ok with me but dont expect things to improve . This is a forum everyone thinks different  and has a right to do so. I am away on holiday not missing in action . Thanks for your comment tho

I think you’re in danger of abusing the phrase ‘critical friend’ in that you place too much emphasis on the word critical.

Nothing is perfect nor is anything as imperfect as you claim. We’re a work in progress with several new players. I think we might have the best centre back pairing in the league, in Clifton and Rose we’ve got two of the hardest working players in the league and Conteh could arguably turn into a proper gold mine for us but we’re still going to hit bumps in the road.

I was frustrated by our lack of transfer activity on Friday and our lack of depth worries me but I’m glad we’re not chucking money at sub standard players. For the first time in a very long time, there’s no passengers in our squad and that’s very good news.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 42
golfer
September 3, 2023, 2:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,430
Gold Stars: 116

Jesus. I dread to think what you get up to on holiday.

Days 1 and 2 - lock yourself in your travel tavern, with GB News on loop, plucking out pubes. Store the little curlies in a mini leather coin pouch.

Days 3-7 - terrorise local hoteliers and restaurateurs by dipping into your pube pouch and sprinkling the little curlies into every dish and shower cubicle you can find. Moan and whine until you get a discount. Rinse (pluck, sprinkle), repeat.

Return home moaning the locals are dirty and don’t like it up ‘em.

I don't think this post is appropriate--- What Chaos gets up to on holiday is nobody else's business
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Missing in action...

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.