Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just back.

This thread currently has 8,742 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
HarrogateMariner
September 3, 2023, 9:03am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
Could not make the match yesterday or listen to it so just going off what others have said. Sounds like a great all round performance. I am delighted for Amos and Holohan as both were written off at start of season but I have always rated both and they have now cemented their place in starting eleven.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 59
chaos33
September 3, 2023, 9:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Good point, neatly illustrated by Gav’s fantastic running off the ball to receive the pass to score the second goal, and Amos’ superb tackle to win the ball and set up that piece of play that effectively won us the game.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 59
quebec38
September 3, 2023, 9:28am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,585
Gold Stars: 48
Good, committed performance yesterday right through from the off. We never let Gillingham get started and eased through it really didn’t we.

Rodgers was fantastic again but Maher was my MOTM because I thought he was equally as good and obviously got his goal. I wouldn’t have argued with Gnahoua taking it either and you could have probably have made a case for most.

There was some great link up play between the front 4. Harry had so much space at times playing between the lines and I noticed him putting his foot on the ball in there and trying a give and go a lot more than usual and it was working well. Eisa is a constant threat and as mentioned Gnahoua on the other side looked to get on the ball and drive inside and go past players constantly.

Really enjoyable day yesterday at BP. Not sure if it was just me but the atmosphere seemed to be cranked up a notch as well as the loudspeaker.

Special shout-out to the Harvey Rodgers fan club in front of me at the back of the main stand also  
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 59
Rodley Mariner
September 3, 2023, 9:34am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Thought there were a lot of similarities with the Salford performance with us completely outworking and outbattling them and just not letting them have any time to play. Thought we were excellent  for the first 15 minutes of the second half and very good for the rest of it. Still a lack of fluidity in the final third but hopefully that was a glimpse of things to come at the start of the second half.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 59
LocalLadGTFC
September 3, 2023, 9:34am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,222
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from bradzmilne
A hugely encouraging performance.

The plaudits for Maher & Rodgers are very much deserved. On a side note, you won’t see many better headed goals than Maher’s this weekend.

Midfield was effective & thoroughly enjoying Gav providing some doubters wrong (myself included!). On  his day, he’s a very classy midfielder.

Also, a special mention for Rose. He’s not scoring at the moment so perhaps is getting overlooked but his contribution to the team is immense.

One negative, Danny Amos was very fortunate to not get sent off at the end. He seems a lovely bloke so I don’t think for one minute he meant to hurt him. However, it was a certain red.

Yesterday shows what that group is capable of. If we can keep in touch with the play offs by the end of the month, that’s a huge hurdle overcome.

Never a red card in a million years, the play acting from Dieng tried to get him sent off... says it all when Tondeur and Watkiss were surpised it was even given for a foul. Was strong in the tackle, boot wasn't high and he won all ball and that's what should be applauded in this day and age... football is a contact sport.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 44 - 59
DB
September 3, 2023, 9:54am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.49
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
I thought yesterday was an excellent performance from all involved, with no weak player. They have set the bar at that level and promotion will come if they play like this every week. The commitment and team spirit reminded me of what we saw in our promotion season.

Bradford next week will be a good test for us so let's hope for our first away win.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 59
BobbyCummingsTackle
September 3, 2023, 10:03am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
Half way through reading this thread I had to check I was still on The Fishy...

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 59
sonofmadeleymariner
September 3, 2023, 12:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
Another 90 mins further proves my point. When we don't play Hurst ball with 10 in the 6-yard box hoofing to a loan striker and instead just attack, press, and harass teams we look and are often the better team.

Played well, and never really felt too worried at the back, controlled the majority of the game, still not creating enough clear chances when we attacked, but certainly an improvement this week.

Oh and a decent reffing performance to boot, not something we often get to say at this level.

It's nice being right  

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 59
mimma
September 3, 2023, 2:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
As a matter of interest, does anyone on here think that we don't go out deliberately to defend, but good teams like Mansfield are better than us and we just end up being pushed back by a good side? It might look like we see sitting back but in reality we are just being forced back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 59
Rodley Mariner
September 3, 2023, 2:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from mimma
As a matter of interest, does anyone on here think that we don't go out deliberately to defend, but good teams like Mansfield are better than us and we just end up being pushed back by a good side? It might look like we see sitting back but in reality we are just being forced back.

Those of us who don't understand football agree with the above but experts like SonofMadeleyinho can see through it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.