Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just back.

This thread currently has 8,740 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2023, 9:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Grimal
re. the substitutions, Sir Alan said on radio Slumberhide that he himself wouldn't make any substitutions as it would keep the bench fit for Tuesdays game.Who would be a football manager, eh !!

When was Sir Alan on the radio?
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 59
Youngy
September 2, 2023, 9:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,663
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Grimal
re. the substitutions, Sir Alan said on radio Slumberhide that he himself wouldn't make any substitutions as it would keep the bench fit for Tuesdays game.Who would be a football manager, eh !!

It was Stuart Watkiss
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 59
bawarmy
September 2, 2023, 9:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,019
Gold Stars: 33
We did good today. The players look like a real team. No superstars just a bunch of players who work for each other. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 59
moosey_club
September 2, 2023, 9:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,260
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Grimal

Quite honestly ....I didn't even know we were playing Tues...its not even on the official club sites fixture list that's how important it is.
Hurst said earlier this year that he was almost bemoaning that the League didn't vote in extra subs...yet he still won't fking make a single one until a guns at his head.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 59
LondonMariner43
September 2, 2023, 9:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,954
Gold Stars: 64
Possibly a controversial opinion but maybe not signing anyone new this week is a good thing.  Firstly, I can imagine PH's teamtalk - the fans think we needed to strengthen the squad, go out there and show them what you can do.  Secondly, this group have, with the exception of Andrews, been together for a couple of months and are probably getting to know each other and form a tight knit squad.  Bringing in 2-3 new players could have disrupted that togetherness just when the team is starting to gel.  

So far this season, we've lost one game against County who are now top and dropped points against Mansfield and Wimbledon who are in the play off spots currently.  The main disappointment is the draw against Walsall and by all accounts we might have won that game on another day.  If we had won it, we'd be 4th which is maybe flattering anyway, but it shows we've had an ok start so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 59
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 2, 2023, 9:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,693
Gold Stars: 79
Was traveling back from Greece so missed this one which is, it appears, very unfortunate as this appears to have been the type of home performance that we’ve all been crying out for so well done to everyone involved and long may it continue.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 59
Marinerdeano
September 2, 2023, 9:46pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from bawarmy
We did good today. The players look like a real team. No superstars just a bunch of players who work for each other. UTM

Which feels a bit like what got Stevenage promoted.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 59
Poojah
September 2, 2023, 9:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,554
Gold Stars: 1,500
Without doubt the most enjoyable Town home league game I’ve been to since our return to the league - a game we totally controlled from start to finish, and it’s been a long, long time since I can remember us doing that in an EFL fixture.

Town were very quick out of the blocks and barely relented in an excellent first half where we simply huffed and puffed and blew the Gillingham house down. Loved the diving header from Maher but for the second, real credit has to go to Eisa for spotting Holohan’s run from behind his left shoulder when the easy option would have been to shoot. What a start he has had in a Town shirt. A word also has to go to Danny Rose for his swashbuckling tackle to start the move. He set the tone today.  

Defensively, it was almost the perfect performance, limiting Gillingham to next to nothing for the most part but doing the last ditch stuff brilliantly when required. The tackle from Amos in the first-half was unreal when the slightest error would have meant a penalty. I can barely recall an uneasy moment, the only Gillingham shot of note being a header floated comfortably in the arms of Eastwood.

As for the Gills, it’s always difficult to know whether they had an off day or we were simply too good for them, but make no mistake; their wage bill will be at least 50% bigger than ours. They’re also 3rd in the league so far, so the balance of evidence suggests it was probably more us than them. They looked bang average all over the pitch, despite some impressive names on their team sheet. Macauley Bonne’s ball control no better than that of his BMW.

Ultimately, it’s a performance and result that takes our start to the season from “ok” to somewhere between “good” and “great”. 12th place might reek of mediocrity at first glance, but doesn’t really get close to telling the whole story.

2 wins, 3 draws and a single narrow defeat from what must have been one of, if not the toughest start to anyone’s League Two season. 3 clean sheets, with just the 1 goal conceded in 4 home games - the joint second best defensive record in the league. One of the better goal differences too.

We can save conversations about squad depth for another day - that was an excellent win made possible by a brilliant team effort. It’s easy to get too high or too low on the back of a single result this early in the season, but I think the signs are beginning to show that, as a team, we are more than capable of doing alright in this league.

A thoroughly enjoyable afternoon in the sunshine. UTM!

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 59
toontown
September 2, 2023, 10:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Really pleasing performance and win. Dominated from start to finish, Rodgers my motm, thought he was imperious in defence. 1 downside was that with that brilliant last ditch tackle I thought Amos injured himself and he seemed to be carrying a knock for the rest of the game so I hope he's fit for the Bradford game. We looked solid defensively all round and knocked it about at the back well.

Eastwood acquitted himself well with what little he had to do, clifton had a good game and nearly scored a good goal and holohan did score. Ganouah had easily his best game in a town shirt, albeit that's an extremely low bar, so I'd say he was decent nothing more. Still a pleasant surprise mind. Rose just does not stop running and I'd agree with others he needs protecting more with a substitution in a game like that - he can't be expected to keep that up for 90 minutes all season. Eisa nearly got another but for the woodwork. Conteh was his usual comfortable self.

For a game we dominated so relentlessly you'd like to have seen us score more perhaps but Gillingham have been a tough nut to crack for other teams, they don't concede easily (bar the previous week!). Let's hope for more of the same against Bradford. At last a comfortable entertaining win at home in the league  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 59
crusty ole pie
September 2, 2023, 11:32pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,340
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
I could not go today.  Can we maintain this high level in most games?  We have injuries and missed out on new players. However, we can get loanees in.

Are we a mid table team or good enough to make a serious challenge for the playoffs? The picture might be clearer in a few games time.  

We have a solid base to build on.  We have a great CB partnership.  Only Wimbledon have conceded fewer league goals.

No loan signings till the widow reopens

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back.

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.