8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
August 16, 2023, 9:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Amos was excellent.  In the last 5 minutes, when the game was won, he still made 2 crunching tackles and won the ball.

I really enjoyed the game and performance. We even got a guest appearance from a speedy cat.

Hurst improved the team with his 3 changes.  He also made a very welcome change by getting rid of the rain and subbing it with warm weather for a night game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 76
TownSNAFU5
August 16, 2023, 9:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,883
Gold Stars: 42
Amos was excellent.  In the last 5 minutes, when the game was won, he still made 2 crunching tackles and won the ball.

I really enjoyed the game and performance. We even got a guest appearance from a speedy cat.

Hurst improved the team with his 3 changes.  He also made a very welcome change by getting rid of the rain and subbing it with warm weather for a night game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 76
GtfcGarner
August 16, 2023, 9:29pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,786
Gold Stars: 26
I was absolutely gutted on Saturday when it seemed we just couldn't cope with Notts and thought that we would struggle this year after that thinking we don't have enough goals in the team and pretty much had a man-baby sulk all day on the Saturday that we might be in for a season of pain. I'm glad I didn't come on the Fishy to try and explain my feelings after the game as would of made myself look a prat.

It was my last game watching town last night before moving over to Australia permanently and what a beautiful performance alongside the weather to top it off. Suppose I'll have to be an armchair fan from now on watching us on tele but it certainly put a smile back on my face, even better it was against Cashcow FC.

I'll be jealous of all you Mariners getting to have some bloody good away days this year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 76
CSLM
August 16, 2023, 9:40pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Impossible not to love Amos.
Couldn't possibly try any harder, really hope that he can kick on in the next few games.
Was great to see him and Eastwood passionately hugging at full time.

Going to be difficult on Saturday but we are capable of getting a result.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 76
ginnywings
August 16, 2023, 10:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from GtfcGarner
I was absolutely gutted on Saturday when it seemed we just couldn't cope with Notts and thought that we would struggle this year after that thinking we don't have enough goals in the team and pretty much had a man-baby sulk all day on the Saturday that we might be in for a season of pain. I'm glad I didn't come on the Fishy to try and explain my feelings after the game as would of made myself look a prat.

It was my last game watching town last night before moving over to Australia permanently and what a beautiful performance alongside the weather to top it off. Suppose I'll have to be an armchair fan from now on watching us on tele but it certainly put a smile back on my face, even better it was against Cashcow FC.

I'll be jealous of all you Mariners getting to have some bloody good away days this year.

Glad for you that your last live game was enjoyable.

Good luck in Oz.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 76
Heisenberg
August 16, 2023, 10:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,047
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from GtfcGarner

That’s incredible, what a life change. I’m sure you’ll not regret it, and will have an amazing time out there, but you know full well your life will be missing something. I have a mate who was a big Walsall fan, but after 20 years in Oz I now know he has such a discord with English life that he doesn’t have a clue what division they’re in, never mind what their latest result was. Don’t become a stranger.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 76
Mighty_Mariner
August 17, 2023, 5:38am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Thought we were excellent from start to finish on Tuesday. We were fast out the traps, chasing down everything and Salford simply couldn’t live with our high press and so reverted to lots of long balls, which Luke and Rodger’s ate up all game. What I particularly liked about the presssing was that it was just aimlessly chasing the ball like an excited dog, we seemed to have specific pressing triggers that the team understood. A few times I noticed after a certain Salford player received the ball or a certain pass, all of the front six pressed together - impressive and effective.

I’m reasonable happy with the start, given who we’ve played. Thought Amos was outstanding and should rightfully keep the shirt for Mansfield.

Also love how much of a shithouse Danny Rose is. I hated him at Mansfield for this very reason but now he’s in black and white, I love it!

Did anyone else notice in the second half the ball went out for a throw, the ‘ball retriever’ (we can’t call them ball boys anymore 🤦‍♂️) went to get it give to the Salford man and Rose shouted at him to leave it, so the lad did… Rose laughed his bottom off! Superb player and character to have on the team!

Trying to think, who is the last player of that ilk who opposing fans and players used to hate for being a shithouse, aside from Max’s chronic cramps obviously.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 76
thefish
August 17, 2023, 6:01am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
Thought we were excellent from start to finish on Tuesday. We were fast out the traps, chasing down everything and Salford simply couldn’t live with our high press and so reverted to lots of long balls, which Luke and Rodger’s ate up all game. What I particularly liked about the presssing was that it was just aimlessly chasing the ball like an excited dog, we seemed to have specific pressing triggers that the team understood. A few times I noticed after a certain Salford player received the ball or a certain pass, all of the front six pressed together - impressive and effective.

I’m reasonable happy with the start, given who we’ve played. Thought Amos was outstanding and should rightfully keep the shirt for Mansfield.

Also love how much of a shithouse Danny Rose is. I hated him at Mansfield for this very reason but now he’s in black and white, I love it!

Did anyone else notice in the second half the ball went out for a throw, the ‘ball retriever’ (we can’t call them ball boys anymore 🤦‍♂️) went to get it give to the Salford man and Rose shouted at him to leave it, so the lad did… Rose laughed his bottom off! Superb player and character to have on the team!

Trying to think, who is the last player of that ilk who opposing fans and players used to hate for being a shithouse, aside from Max’s chronic cramps obviously.

McAtee- certainly in the conference year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 76
Mariner_09
August 17, 2023, 10:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from diehardmariner
Regards Eastwood's punching...obviously I, sure everyone, would prefer a 'keeper to come and catch every cross.  

But I would also prefer them to just clear the lines above all else.  As long as they're punching it away from danger, which Eastwood looks to be doing, then I'm happy with that as opposed to trying to take a cross and not get there.  McKeown was another 'puncher' but he seemed to palm it away rather than punch.  I think Eastwood has been excellent these first few games.

Few points I would make on Eastwood. No1, obviously we'd all prefer him to catch crosses but he's a L2 keeper, he's going to be flawed. However, he does need to change his technique when it comes to catching balls, he tries to catch it in his midriff as opposed to above his head and he will come a cropper with that sooner or later. His punching is pretty good though, he doesn't flap at crosses, he punches them with authority and critically gets the ball away from goal and gives the defence time to regroup and get into position.

He also makes some good saves. A pen save against Wimbledon and 3 or 4 top class ones against Notts County. He also pushes the ball wide, or away from goal. One of Crocombe's biggest weaknesses was that he had a tendency to parry balls straight back into the dangerzone, regularly remember it costing us. Eastwood doesn't do this.

Plus, he can kick straight, another thing Crocombe couldn't do.

Overall, he's a clear upgrade on Crocombe.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 76
ginnywings
August 17, 2023, 10:45am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
I think keepers punching the ball is a lot more common now and is probably taught at Prem clubs, where you see it a lot. There is also a lot more use of feet by keepers than there used to be.

I imagine he's had top notch coaching at Sheff Utd, but never was quite good enough to force his way into their squad, so has moved on to a level he can get games in.

I think we are a better team with him in it, but he will make mistakes; it's inevitable, though he has been pretty sound so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.