Northbank Mariner
August 16, 2023, 8:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,472
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Agreed. I’m trying to think if we’ve had anyone better since Paul Groves which, after three games, is some compliment.

Conteh reminds me so much of Jay Matete..if he adds goals to his game then we are looking at true "football fortune" kind of money...
Are we seeing the fruits of Joe Hutchinson beginning to pay off, potentially?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 76
MuddyWaters
August 16, 2023, 8:43am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,257
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Conteh reminds me so much of Jay Matete..if he adds goals to his game then we arectsking true "football fortune" kind of money...

I think he’s calmer than Matete. But I get where you’re coming from.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 76
mariner91
August 16, 2023, 8:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,661
Gold Stars: 262
I went with a friend who's a Wycombe fan last night and he was seriously impressed with Conteh. He couldn't believe it when I told him he's only 20. He's one of those players who makes it look like he's got an extra couple of seconds of time whenever he's got the ball and has a knack for coming away with the ball 90% of the time. Hopefully he'll keep improving whilst with us and he could end up going for some serious money. I can't remember the last time we had a midfielder who's as good as he is now, let alone when you consider how good he might become.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 76
diehardmariner
August 16, 2023, 9:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
Regards Eastwood's punching...obviously I, sure everyone, would prefer a 'keeper to come and catch every cross.  

But I would also prefer them to just clear the lines above all else.  As long as they're punching it away from danger, which Eastwood looks to be doing, then I'm happy with that as opposed to trying to take a cross and not get there.  McKeown was another 'puncher' but he seemed to palm it away rather than punch.  I think Eastwood has been excellent these first few games.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 76
Jarmo.Is.God
August 16, 2023, 9:09am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86

Conteh reminds me so much of Jay Matete..if he adds goals to his game then we are looking at true "football fortune" kind of money...

I agree, that's a very good comparison to be fair.
I do honestly think Conteh is better, and has serious potential.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 76
Jarmo.Is.God
August 16, 2023, 9:11am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
There was a part in the 1st half yesterday when Salford were passing it out, and the left back tried playing it into midfield.
Conteh read it, cut the pass out, run forward and admittedly, had a bit of a poor shot.

But to read that, and cut it out is something you normally see in an FA Cup game when you're trying to play out against a team 2 leagues above you....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 76
Mappers
August 16, 2023, 9:11am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,333
Gold Stars: 118

He unearthed Ben House and Regan Poole (he went to Portsmouth in the summer )  at Lincoln ,House is probably a million pound + player now.

He probably got them a few more to .

I do remember the other new advisor guy saying in an interview he 'had a big one ' or something along those lines that he would be recommending to the club , I wonder whether that was Conteh .

Let's hope we can turn into a bit of a mini Brighton , Brentford or Luton with player trading .

Let's hope Boro don't have a relatively cheap buy back option on Conteh.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 76
diehardmariner
August 16, 2023, 9:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,632
Gold Stars: 539
Really enjoyed the game and it felt almost a scandal that Danny Amos didn't get MOTM, of course though Abo Eisa is going to get the plaudits with two goals!  

Shift in formation to just having one holding was exactly what we needed, think everyone could see that Conteh is good enough to just hold on his own in that role.  That freed up Holohan, as the Hunt replacement, to be more attacking and it just added that extra dynamic to the attack.  I don't think Holohan individually was outstanding, it was very much the energetic, buzzing about style that we've become used to from him.  But it just meant that Rose was better supported, Salford's midfield and back four didn't have as much time to stroke the ball about as 'Dons and County did but also meant Eisa and Gnahoua were out wide.  

Didn't like Eisa in that No 10 role at all, thought he looked lost and wasted.  But on the wing he looks a different animal.  He's unpredictable and I think he'll frustrate a hell of a lot of the time, but he's got it in his locker to pull something magic out the bag.  Gnahoua doesn't strike me as someone who is going to get headlines or loads of assists/goals.  But he's very industrious and added a nice balance to the side.  Thought Vernam looked very lively when he came on too.  I think between the 3 of them the hope is that at least one of them is on song for most of the games.  Of  course it would be great if all 3 were 9/10 each week but at this level it isn't going to happen.  As long as we keep them wide and encouraging a high press, I'm confident they'll collectively prove to be a threat.  Khan to come back into the mix too which adds something different.

I actually thought it was Conteh's quieter of the 3 league games so far, probably a result of us playing a bit higher up the field.  But god when he has something to do he does it well.  Loads and loads of people getting carried away with him but it's hard not to.  Very, very early days but it's a fair while since I've seen a player in a Town shirt look that much better than anyone at their respective levels.

Most recent was Dembele for that first five-or-six games before everyone doubled, trebled up on him (for anyone who's forgotten how good he was in those early games, look at the highlights for the Chesterfield opener in 2017/18 - just ghosts past players).  Conor Townsend was another.  I suppose Jay Matete, who a few have mentioned as a comparison, but we never got to see him live which was a great shame.

If Conteh continues this form his stay with us will be very short but very lucrative for us.  As others have said, enjoy him whilst we can.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 76
It Bites
August 16, 2023, 9:43am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,212
Gold Stars: 265
Now that was a PH performance. Everyone on it and working 100% .
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 76
It Bites
August 16, 2023, 9:47am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,212
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
There was a part in the 1st half yesterday when Salford were passing it out, and the left back tried playing it into midfield.
Conteh read it, cut the pass out, run forward and admittedly, had a bit of a poor shot.

But to read that, and cut it out is something you normally see in an FA Cup game when you're trying to play out against a team 2 leagues above you....

Yeah I saw that . Brilliant. Smith did it when he set up Mcatee in the po final
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.