Mayaman
August 16, 2023, 12:38am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from buckstown
The world is a better place tonight, think we were better and Salford were bang average, even with eleven.
Amos was never under pressure but did his job well and Gav did the business on his recall
Cute finishing from Eisa and just a shame we couldn’t get a couple more as Salford lost the plot
Just a word about the away attendance - shocking
90 for a fairly close away game is embarrassing. The sooner they’re back where they belong the better

TBF if they dont drive they are at the mercy of Transpennine express.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 76
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
August 16, 2023, 1:44am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +847
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Mayaman

TBF if they dont drive they are at the mercy of Transpennine express.

For all we know there could have been 500 more of their fans abandoned on a windswept train station in the back of nowhere. Fingers crossed anyway
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 76
louth_in_the_south
August 16, 2023, 2:26am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,692
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from LH
Very pleasing reaction to Saturday although Salford were absolutely crap. Good performances from everyone and great to see Eisa open his account (©️ Jeff Stelling). Big performance from Amos at just the time we needed it. Conteh is going to play at a very high level, very quickly so enjoy him.

I’d hazard a guess we probably offered Boro the highest sell on clause which may have swung the deal in our favour?

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 76
aldi_01
August 16, 2023, 7:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I didn’t expect many more from Salford. I know they’ve picked up some oddballs that seemingly live over that way that didn’t have a team but in truth, however much cash they throw at it, they’re a non-league side.

90 is decent for them, I didn’t expect anymore. Their home ground always looks relatively full but that’s mainly because it holds about 100 people…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 76
MuddyWaters
August 16, 2023, 7:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Oly1987
at work but managed to catch the last half hour or so l, just before the 2nd goal. Holohan impressed me in the no10 role from what I saw and linked up with Eisa superbly a couple of times. I prefer us playing the 4-2-3-1 system as I think it gives us more width whilst making us stronger defensively as the full backs support the wing play instead of trying to do everything. Eastwood certainly looks the part and his performances so far should have dispelled any concerns. Great 3 points and hopefully acts as a platform for us to build on. UTM!

Perhaps PH doesn’t agree as we switched to 4-1-4-1 last night!
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 76
Maringer
August 16, 2023, 8:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,542
Gold Stars: 185
I had to leave at half-time last night as my lad wasn't feeling well (or that's what he said), but I was pleased with what I saw in the first half and it sounds like it continued in the second.

They put us under early pressure and you can see they've spent money on some good players but, oddly enough, the dismal decision-making from the officials helped galvanise the team (and the crowd) and, the odd break and set piece aside, they didn't really threaten too much.

I was impressed by Amos who was playing like he had something to prove and he didn't do too much wrong, the odd minor error aside. I was surprised that he seemed to have a decently-long throw because I don't remember that from his previous performances. Perhaps Cropper gave him some tips?

Conteh looks a very relaxed sort of a player and has the knack of stretching out a long leg to make a tackle and yet keep possession. Doesn't look as though he'll be the most creative of passers, but then he doesn't need to be if he just keeps the ball moving along. Holohan's extra physicality in comparison to Hunt dovetailed well in the middle and, though they had a bit more pace in midfield than us, we were quick enough and organised enough to deal with them in general. Gnuhoua looked like he was playing himself into fitness and the link up between the attackers was decent at times, but I think they still need to learn each others game better.

Powerful shot for Eisa's first goal which I think would have caused their keeper problems even without the deflection so it's always handy to have somebody who can hit one from outside the area.

As others have said, I hope Pyke or Wilson are going to be able to come in and give Rose a rest at times as he works really hard and takes a lot of bumps from big defenders. He'll not be able to keep that up all the way through the season, game in, game out.

Very pleased to see the first win on the board with all the difficult games coming up. I'll hopefully be able to watch all of the remaining ones!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 76
Morris Minor
August 16, 2023, 8:18am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +0 / -5
Approval: -606
Gold Stars: 12
i-follow took ages to come on last night. Eventually started at 19:43, just in time for kick-off.
This was the first time in ages I haven't been tempted to channel-hop looking for a better game.
Very good game with several of Town's players on top of their form.
Looking forward to Saturday. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 76
Jarmo.Is.God
August 16, 2023, 8:24am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
I try avoid getting too carried away when we lose, and the same with a win.....

But.

I'm 30, and i'm struggling to think of a player that really was as good as Conteh. I've seen him twice, but both times he looks AT LEAST a league 1 player already.
Amos was fantastic, calm, composed, and solid.
Holohan actually seemed to be very comfortable knowing Conteh is behind him, and gained confidence to go forward with the ball.

Minor concern, and very minor it is....
Eastwood's pass back to Amos in the 1st half, after the dodgy back pass was excellent.
His free-kick save towards the end was good.
But he doesn't fill me with confidence on crosses etc..... reminds me a lot of McKeown, wanting to punch everything and sometimes being very 'flappy'
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 76
headingly_mariner
August 16, 2023, 8:28am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,380
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
I try avoid getting too carried away when we lose, and the same with a win.....

But.

I'm 30, and i'm struggling to think of a player that really was as good as Conteh. I've seen him twice, but both times he looks AT LEAST a league 1 player already.
Amos was fantastic, calm, composed, and solid.
Holohan actually seemed to be very comfortable knowing Conteh is behind him, and gained confidence to go forward with the ball.

Minor concern, and very minor it is....
Eastwood's pass back to Amos in the 1st half, after the dodgy back pass was excellent.
His free-kick save towards the end was good.
But he doesn't fill me with confidence on crosses etc..... reminds me a lot of McKeown, wanting to punch everything and sometimes being very 'flappy'

I think it's his chosen way of clearing the danger. To be fair to him he got all of his punches right. Crocombe's big strength was commanding his box, it's unusual for a keeper at this level to take as many crosses as he did.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 76
LH
August 16, 2023, 8:37am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,528
Gold Stars: 173
Is it a coaching thing? Unless they’re confident they’re going to win the catch then most keepers of this generation punch it away so that it goes *somewhere* rather than just dropping in the box and potentially getting knocked in. Henderson maybe the last keeper we had who was confident enough nearly every time to catch I think.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.